FAO Nav (If You're Out There)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAO Nav (If You're Out There)

I posted this here cause that's where most of the former AD.com'ers seem to hang out. If admins wanna move it, please feel free.

My question is, in that video, I assume that this particular approach calls for the dramatic descent that is seen. However, you still hear the sink rate and pull up warnings.

Can the crew make the computers/autopilot "aware" when particular approaches call for steeper than normal sink rates, so they will not receive those warnings? Or are crews commonly (like in this video) simply trained to ignore them in these particular instances?
    Last edited by SammyG; 2008-01-26, 20:47. Reason: Forgot how to spell "hear"

Sammy:

Take that down before Brad sees it!

Moderators, please warn Sammy against posting stuff that will confuse Brad about flying vs. women.

That's tough, what do you watch? the women or the landing?

Both looked pretty good.

However, the camera angle sucked on both.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Why was the pilot wearing gloves?
      The Bone.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
        same thing i`m trying to figure out.

Comment

Emberassing tattoos?
          Signature removed by admin.

Comment

I think the GPWS can just be turned off they they wanted, and that's the end of the warnings.

The question I have is, isn't the international language of aviation supposed to be english? The comms here are in Spanish. Is whatever the local language may be used in places where there isn't that much international traffic, and everyone pretty much speakes the local language? As it seems that if there isn't a standard, it would get pretty confusing if you have people flying in from all over the place, and controllers speaking in the local language to some, and in english, to others.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
              I think the GPWS can just be turned off they they wanted, and that's the end of the warnings.
              Short of yanking the CB, no, it can't be.

Comment

Hmmh, I guess I thought wrong then.

Comment

You can disable the "Glideslope" warning for backcourse or localizer approaches and the "Too Low - Flaps" for abnormal landing conditions. The others you live with. If you know it's a funky airport, say landing 26 in JNU, you brief before hand to expect the ground prox.

In many places, the locals will speak the local language to each other. It does lead to a break down in getting the big picture, but c'est la vie. Years and years ago, I was flying a DC-3 up to Montreal one night and heard ATC tell someone else "XXXXX day say trois XXX." I told the co-pilot I don't know what but they're talking about us. We had to be the only DC-3 around even in 85.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320

The question I have is, isn't the international language of aviation supposed to be english? The comms here are in Spanish. Is whatever the local language may be used in places where there isn't that much international traffic, and everyone pretty much speakes the local language? As it seems that if there isn't a standard, it would get pretty confusing if you have people flying in from all over the place, and controllers speaking in the local language to some, and in english, to others.
                    Try listening to ATC communications in places where English is not the first language. They do use the local language if its a conversation between local people, and English for all others.
                    Even in Quebec, I hear a lot of quick responses in French that I have no chance of catching. You have to speak very slooowly in French for me to understand!

Comment

In France at a lot of airfields and smaller airports they still speak french. When I made my PPL, we had a lot of flights to a small airfield close to Luxembourg border for T&G training. But because we entered French Airspace we had to contact Area Control (at that time it was Reims Control) they spoke almost only french. Once I spoke English because somehow I forgot, men I can tell you, their English sucked. Perhaps today it's better. But at that time, my instructor told me that there were even smaller airports where they refused to speak English and they asked you to do the communicatins in French...

Comment

Ex-Military??? Those were standard Military Nomex flight gloves. Maybe grew accustom to wearing them, from being in the Military.

We are required to have gloves on and sleeves rolled down on take-off/landings, in all aircraft, not just the tail-hooks.
                        -Not an Airbus or Boeing guy here.
                        -20 year veteran on the USN Lockheed P-3 Orion.

Comment

Originally posted by P3_Super_Bee
                          Ex-Military??? Those were standard Military Nomex flight gloves. Maybe grew accustom to wearing them, from being in the Military.

We are required to have gloves on and sleeves rolled down on take-off/landings, in all aircraft, not just the tail-hooks.
                          UK Royal Air Force pilots wear those kind of gloves on transport aircraft. I seem to recall that Japanese civil airline pilots also used to wear gloves (often white gloves), but maybe not so often these days.

Comment

Working...
                          X