Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't Think I'm Flying After Work Today ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melissa
    replied
    Originally posted by (J)
    Where is the MD-11 Captain?
    Busy making money to support my rock 'n roll lifestyle.

Leave a comment:

• ASpilot2be
    replied
    Originally posted by screaming_emu
    CROSS POSTER! :-p
    Hey, I like to share

Leave a comment:

• JordanD
    replied
    What me and Alec do in the privacy of our igloo is our busines.

Oh... cross poster. Nevermind.

Leave a comment:

• screaming_emu
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ASpilot2be
    replied
    Originally posted by ASpilot2be
    It appears to have calmed down, but one of the ferries reported a gust of 120kts in Lynn Canal
    This is what said boat looks like afterwards

Leave a comment:

• ASpilot2be
    replied
    It appears to have calmed down, but one of the ferries reported a gust of 120kts in Lynn Canal

Leave a comment:

• (J)
    replied
    Where is the MD-11 Captain?

Leave a comment:

• Melissa
    replied
    I guess I'm not so wimpy after all ...

Delays, cancellations at D/FW

The strong winds have caused 27 canceled flights today at Dallas/Fort Worth Airport. The airport was seeing delays of 30 to 40 minutes at noon.

The wind gusts hit the airport around 10:30 a.m. And an airport that normally sees 80 to 90 takeoffs in an hour is down to about 55 or 60.

That’s because the Federal Aviation Administration has all but shut down five of D/FW’s seven runways because they run north and south, or perpendicular to the strong west winds. The two runways that are being favored now run diagonally, allowing planes to better fly with their noses into the wind.

Flights are also being hampered because of the wind’s strength, estimated between 35 and 40 miles per hour, said David Magana, an airport spokesman.

“The whole idea is to fly into the wind, and when it’s a crosswind that high, it’s an issue of safety,” Magana said, adding that generally when a crosswind becomes stronger than 30 miles per hour, it gives airlines pause.

The strong winds are expected to delay flights through the middle of this afternoon. If the back log gets too big, some flights may be canceled.
    http://www.star-telegram.com/news/story/439568.html

We're also having some wildfires break out due to downed power lines from the wind sparking grass fires.

Leave a comment:

• Melissa
    replied
    Originally posted by Half Bottle
    I guess it would be kinda hard to get an instrument rating using one of those planes in your hangar. Having actual, you know, "instruments" being a substantial pre-requisite.
    That is correct. Even the ISGCFIIOTM can't find a fix around that issue.

Leave a comment:

• Half Bottle
    replied
    Originally posted by Melissa
    Ha Ha, perhaps. And yes, I'm renting, to finish my Instrument, but I'm not doing glass, I'm doing old school round dials by choice. And I don't pay that much, either. I have a "grandfathered-in" type deal going on.
    I guess it would be kinda hard to get an instrument rating using one of those planes in your hangar. Having actual, you know, "instruments" being a substantial pre-requisite.

Leave a comment:

• pilotgolfer
    replied
    Please post it again
    I'm just glad I don't class until 330 and that's my only one today.

Leave a comment:

• screaming_emu
    replied
    Originally posted by Melissa
    Ha Ha, perhaps. And yes, I'm renting, to finish my Instrument, but I'm not doing glass, I'm doing old school round dials by choice. And I don't pay that much, either. I have a "grandfathered-in" type deal going on.
    Good choice. Glass is pretty easy to pick up later, better to learn the old school way first in my opinion. Glass cockpits are a great tool, but there are really only two differences. You have to sit down and do some old fashioned book work to learn what all the buttons do and you just have to modify your scan. Other than that, its pretty simple.

Leave a comment:

• Melissa
    replied
    Originally posted by RadarContactLost
    There's a reason they left 9-27 in place. Do you rent over there and if so, have you found something besides a glass 172 for $110 an hour?

Leave a comment:

• screaming_emu
    replied
    Originally posted by pilotgolfer
    At least it's not cold.

KGFK 291753Z 30026G31KT 7SM BKN022 M26/M32 A2974 RMK AO2 PK WND 31032/1727 SLP098 DRSN 4/006 933012 T12611317 11222 21261 51014

It's only going to get colder today.
    Please post it again

Leave a comment:

• pilotgolfer
    replied
    At least it's not cold.

KGFK 291753Z 30026G31KT 7SM BKN022 M26/M32 A2974 RMK AO2 PK WND 31032/1727 SLP098 DRSN 4/006 933012 T12611317 11222 21261 51014

It's only going to get colder today.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X