Blast in UN HQ in Baghdad, UN envoy killed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blast in UN HQ in Baghdad, UN envoy killed

UN envoy Sergio Vieira de Mello has confirmed dead in today's (August 19) car bomb in Baghdad's United Nation Head Quarter in Iraq.
    Airline Route News
    Airline Route Map Drawings

I find it really sickening when an organization like the UN is attacked in anyway in which inoccent lives are lost.

Comment

So sad, I hope we can find and punish whoever planned this terrorist act. They will pay for what they did today.

Also, another bombing has just taken place, this time in Israel. From MSNBC.com-

Explosion destroys bus in Jerusalem

At least three killed in blast, witnesses tell Reuters

BREAKING NEWS
      MSNBC NEWS SERVICES

JERUSALEM, Aug. 19 — At least three people were killed when a bus exploded in Jerusalem late Tuesday, according to witnesses interviewed by Reuters.
      Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

This is an attack against the world community, against every county in the world. An attack against humanity.
        Although I was against British/American invasion in Irak, I hope this attack acts as a wakeup call to the European nations (and others around the globe) to give more support to rebuild the region. And to the Americans to give command to the UN. But that may be already too late....

Comment

This is so sad. The world has lost a truly talented, great individual. Indeed, I am sure Mr. de Mello will go down in history as one of the greatest members of the United Nations movement. His selflessness and commitment to the betterment of mankind is an example that certain world leaders would do well to follow.

(For those who are unaware of Mr. de Mello's history, he helped rebuild Bangladesh after the war with Pakistan, ditto for various African countries including Mozambique, and essentially single-handedly created the functioning democratic independent state of East Timor. As envoy to Iraq, he was also on leave from being the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights.)

He will be sorely missed.

Rest in Peace, Mr. de Mello. Your memory shall not be forgotten.
          AIRIGAMI.NET
          http://www.airigami.net - The next generation of paper airliner modeling.

Comment

Originally posted by duplix
            And to the Americans to give command to the UN.
            Right. Giving the U.N. control would just make everything perfect.

As I said elsewhere, this smells of Al-Qaeda and their ilk. They love car/truck bombs and even before Saddam was removed they threatened to attack U.S. troops & interests in the region if we went to war. This is probably their attempt to cause more friction between the United States and the U.N.

Comment

Originally posted by B757300
              Right. Giving the U.N. control would just make everything perfect.
              I agree, it would not change a lot in the field. But it would legitimize the current operation/occupation. That is major a change in the mind of people.

Comment

The U.N. has been sitting on their thumbs for a long time now. They wouldn't know how to command if they had to.

Personally I don't think it is such a big deal, just because he was from the U.N. Iraqis, American, and British soldiers and civilians have been killed every day. Where is the outrage for them? He knew the risk involved when he took the job....those U.N. vests are not bullet proof....

Comment

Personally I don't think it is such a big deal, just because he was from the U.N. Iraqis, American, and British soldiers and civilians have been killed every day. Where is the outrage for them?
                  Jeff, this is a HUGE deal. Sergio Viera de Mello was the Secretary-General's Envoy to Iraq and was the UN Human Rights High Commissioner, you know, the post Mary Robinson used to have. (You do know who she is, right?) He was widely tipped to be the next Secretary-General after Kofi Annan. This is akin to Paul Bremmer being taken out.

I often hear a lot of negativity about the UN. Sometimes I wonder whether the UN's critics are confusing the bull-sh!t politicking by countries in the Security Council for the actual work the UN does in the field. The UN is not solely a peace-keeping organization nor is it solely a talk-shop. If it weren't for their efforts, a lot more people around the world would be oppressed and a lot more people would be starving than is currently the case. It also amazes me how people gloss over the UN's success stories. If one just looks at de Mello's career, one can see the amazing contribution he made to countries like Bangladesh and East Timor.

So, this is a BIG deal.

And besides, there IS outrage about the constantly rising death toll of American and British troops and Iraqi civilians. It's just that you don't hear so much about it in the US media. Similarly, who here knew that this has been one of the most brutal weeks in Afghanistan since the Taliban were ousted? Probably very few Americans, becuase it has simply been forgotten by the US media. No one cares about Afghanistan anymore. So, yes, Jeff, there is outrage about EVERY death in these hot-spots, even if you don't feel it, care about it, or hear about it.
                  AIRIGAMI.NET

Comment

I agree with Airigami, this is a big deal. An attack against the UN must not go unanswered, they need to find out who planned this attack and bring them to justice.
                    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Sorry, I disagree. I think the U.N. is a shell of what it used to be, and has little use anymore.

Comment

Sorry, I disagree. I think the U.N. is a shell of what it used to be, and has little use anymore.
                        I understand your point, Jeff, and I agree that the U.N. is not what it could be, but given the degree to which it has been undermined by certain member states, I think things could be a lot worse. It is also true that the effectiveness of the U.N. was greater as a mediator between two superpowers during the cold war than it is now essentially as a mediator between a hyperpower and the rest of the world, but it is still an essential organization. And as I said in my previous post, the U.N. has many important duties like reconstruction, aid and advocacy that often goes unnoticed by the west. The world needs the U.N., even if certain nations don't acknowledge it.

Regardless, this was a terrorist attack and that is the bottom line. If nothing is done about it, then it strikes at the very heart of the U.S.'s effort to stamp out terrorism wherever it may be around the world.

A terrorist attack is a terrorist attack, after all.
                        AIRIGAMI.NET

Comment

The power of the UN comes from the willingness of member states to abide by its decisions and support it in such. When 'certain' important members decide to go John-Wayneing off, naturally its credibility is reduced. The UN is what the members make it. Without support from them, it's not going to magically regain its significance.
                          I walked across an empty land
                          I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
                          I felt the earth beneath my feet
                          Sat by the river and it made me complete

Comment

The UN is only an empty shell when they disagree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Katamarino
                              When 'certain' important members decide to go John-Wayneing off, naturally its credibility is reduced. The UN is what the members make it. Without support from them, it's not going to magically regain its significance.
                              Tell us....who are you talking about? It's o.k. we can take it. Are there 'certain' un-important members?

It's credibility has been reduced over a period of years, not just over recent events. Support worldwide is lessening rapidly.

Comment

Working...
                              X