1 Gb yesterday and today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Gb yesterday and today

Hi JP'ers - some of you will know that I work in the IT business - well, 20 years ago we were going "WOW" at our 1 Gb drive used in our mass storage devices.

Today, we hardly think about it - ain't science wonderful.....
    RobB

cool picture, very representative... So IBM invented the first APUs, right???
    named after the king

Comment

Size matters!
      Terry
      Lurking at JP since the BA 777 at Heathrow and AD lost responsiveness to the throttles.
      How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by FireLight
        Size matters!
        My wife sayz it doesn't...
        named after the king

Comment

What kind of speed could you get out of that? 256KB/s? Seriously awesome picture. One more question, how much did a drive like that cost?

Comment

Originally posted by Powercube
            What kind of speed could you get out of that? 256KB/s? Seriously awesome picture. One more question, how much did a drive like that cost?
            Transfer rate on such a drive was very good and more than "acceptable" in the market place - I cannot quote exact numbers. As for cost - "zillions", yes, by comparrison, VERY expensive when comparrred to today's price.

Computers are the one comodity that has significantly dropped in price over the years. Compare price/performance today to what we had 20 years ago.

Now, I wonder why other industries cannot make better products for less money ? ESPECIALLY when IT is used to drive down costs, funny that !!!!!
            RobB

Comment

Just image the old type of drive hanging from your camera

Comment

Zounds, I just realized that thing is larger than the brake assembly, nee the front tyre on my car. Probably weighs more too.

Comment

Originally posted by Powercube
                  Zounds, I just realized that thing is larger than the brake assembly, nee the front tyre on my car. Probably weighs more too.
                  I was about to say it looks a beefed up break assembly.

Comment

Looks like an old tombola drum to me. Which is a bit like IT and computers - sometimes you are lucky and they work, sometimes they don't and screw your life up!!

Andy

Comment

Working...
                    X