Earthquake in Central London!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earthquake in Central London!

Just before 1am today (27th Feb, 0, I was doing my internet - in fact touching up yesterday's LHR pictures on photoshop when my place started shaking. I could not believe it, and the water in my jug was also shaking. It lasted a few seconds. I've experienced earthquakes many times in Japan and the Philippines so I know exactly what it feels like. I'm still in a bit of a shock for it to occur in London.

I doubt there is mining or major digging right under my place and the SSL tunnels are a good distance away and it's definately not trains - I know because my lecture theatre is right above the District!

I know the UK is not on a major fault lines but there are many "inactive" faults which decide to wake up every now and then.

We have just had it in Manchester. Scary!!

We had numerous quakes back in 2002. I think one of the news media mentioned a fault line in Stoke-on-trent.

In 2002, we had 13 Earthquakes. Majority were minor, one caused slight cracks in the city centre.

SkyNews are just breaking the story now:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/home
    Last edited by turbotraker; 2008-02-27, 01:37.

Comment

4.7 according to the USGS.

Comment

We had a 4.0 quake in Saarland last Saturday, caused by a coal-mine in 1500m depth. The center was at Saarwellingen (even the top of a church clock-tower came down) and shocked peoples, but no injuries. The government ordered the mining company to stop all activities.

get FRA spotting informations here:
        www.Frankfurt-Aviation-Friends.eu

Comment

We had a mini earthquake in Toronto few months ago, I've head about that one in the news. I've always wanted to know what it feels like

PS. off topic, but DAIRD, on your always-under-construction website, fix the logo/text. Right now it says 'Aircaft' instead of "Aircraft'

Comment

I was on final approach for ARN on the flightsim. It was like hitting windshear/wake turbulence for 10 seconds in a full motion sim

Comment

4.7 is absolutely nothing. You should have been here in Costa Rica during the earthquake in Puerto Limón. It was strong enough to be even felt in the heart of the San José city centre.

Please get back to us once you get a minimum 5.5 quake.
              Audentes Fortuna Imperii

Comment

That is what we have here:

http://www.snet.gob.sv/ver/sismologi...mos+10+sismos/

Almost everyday, and anything under 6.5 is not even mentioned in the press.. We call our country "Hamaca valley", always swinging...
                named after the king

Comment

Originally posted by Kell Kong
                  That is what we have here:

http://www.snet.gob.sv/ver/sismologi...mos+10+sismos/

Almost everyday, and anything under 6.5 is not even mentioned in the press.. We call our country "Hamaca valley", always swinging...
                  Unfortunately, the local Costa Rican media isn't as bright as the Salvadoran media, because anything above 4.0 does get mentioned in the media, and becomes a big deal for them.

The media down here is more like a tabloid with heavy PC language than true news media. That is why I hardly even read the paper or watch the news down here. I rely more on what's on cable than on Channel 7 or the Repretel empire.
                  Audentes Fortuna Imperii

Comment

Quoting a Richter reading is fantastic, but I'm pretty sure a lot of it depends on how close your city / country is to the epicenter

It's been 3 days since the earthquake that struck the UK, and Pakistan still haven't set up any relief funds for the victims. That's the last time we do it for them.

Comment

I've had worse.
                      sigpic
                      http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by pkonowrocki
                        We had a mini earthquake in Toronto few months ago, I've head about that one in the news. I've always wanted to know what it feels like

PS. off topic, but DAIRD, on your always-under-construction website, fix the logo/text. Right now it says 'Aircaft' instead of "Aircraft'
                        Thank you pkonowrocki You are the first who noticed it
                        I apologise for the fault in the text / logo. The responsible keyboard has beeen sacked.
                        I'll gonna fixx it in the nexxt updade.

get FRA spotting informations here:
                        www.Frankfurt-Aviation-Friends.eu

Comment

Well, it turned out to be a 5.2, so the strongest we've had in the UK for 25 years. It's the second one i've experienced whilst living in Sheffield, the first being a 4.7 in 2002. The epicentre of the Wednesday morning quake was 50 miles from where I am now, so pretty close by. At first it sounded like the washing machine was off balance, but it got louder and louder and then the house started shaking. I thought at this point the washing machine had actually just blown up! I legged it downstairs to find that the washing machine hadn't blown up, and it twigged as to what had just happened. It was very similar to the one in 2002 where i was woken up at about the same time by what I thought was a large truck coming down the hill outside the house and thought it was going to smash through the house.

Comment

It's been 3 days since the earthquake that struck the UK, and Pakistan still haven't set up any relief funds for the victims. That's the last time we do it for them.
                            Hmmm, was sent that by text, isn't funny though.

Comment

Working...
                            X