Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come the "world's most powerful nation"....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How come the "world's most powerful nation"....

be so Stooooopid ?

This year's runaway first place Stella Award winner was Mrs. Merv Grazinski, of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, who purchased a new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home, from an OU football game, she drove onto the freeway, set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go to the back of the Winnebago to make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the motor home left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Also not surprisingly, Mrs. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not stating in the owner's manual that the driver should not leave the driver's seat whilst the cruise control was set. The Oklahoma jury awarded her (are you sitting down?) $1 750 000 PLUS a new motor home. Subsequently, Winnebago actually changed its manuals as a result of this law suit, and just in case Mrs. Grazinski has any relatives who might also wish to purchase a motor home.
    RobB

Correct me if Im wrong but someone told me theres a bit in the cessna flight manuals that says they cant fly without fuel, bought about by a similar situation.

Comment

That is probably one of the oldest urban legends that there is. Any links?
      Signatures are overrated

Comment

I can't remember what the law is...but it's true. Example, opening a beer bottle with a BIC lighter, it states (somewhere) that you shouldn't do it. People have sued because they were covered in fluid.

It's the legal system and how it's set-up.

Why does a country separate blacks and whites for decades? See, every country has it's stupid laws and people that will take advantage of them. I bet in this case she was called by a lawyer and got advise on how to sue.
        My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

It's ok, she's from Oklahoma.
          Some crazy people in that state.

That's coming from a Texas guy, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Cam

Why does a country separate blacks and whites for decades?......
            Would that be South Africa or the "greatest democracy in the world", that your talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by pilotgolfer
              It's ok, she's from Oklahoma.
              Some crazy people in that state.

That's coming from a Texas guy, btw.

People, its NOT true, its a made up story.
              Signatures are overrated

Comment

Originally posted by juan23
                Would that be South Africa or the "greatest democracy in the world", that your talking about?
                Speaking on more recent terms....
                My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Airfoilsguy
                  That is probably one of the oldest urban legends that there is. Any links?
                  Did a driver set the cruise control on his vehicle then slip into the backseat for a nap?

Comment

People, its NOT true, its a made up story.
                    Yeah, I know.

Comment

Although this one was an urban legend, there are true stories of idocy that have forced companies to issue some odd warnings on there products. There's even a book aout it.

http://www.mlaw.org/wwl/

Comment

Originally posted by PV-1
                        Although this one was an urban legend, there are true stories of idocy that have forced companies to issue some odd warnings on there products. There's even a book aout it.

http://www.mlaw.org/wwl/
                        True, ever wounder why a helmet or a ladder cost so much. Its to pay the legal fees for when someone sues. Here is an interesting site about stupidity.

Darwin Awards: Vote for the Award Nominees! The Darwin Awards commemorate the (remains of) individuals who contribute to the improvement of our gene pool by removing themselves from it. Enter this portal for stories from the Darwin Awards.
                        Signatures are overrated

Comment

Not to mention these lawsuits also resulted in many appeals in which the winnings were also taken away. That's the part you never hear about.
                          Tanner Johnson - Owner
                          twenty53 Photography

Comment

True, ever wounder why a helmet or a ladder cost so much. Its to pay the legal fees for when someone sues. Here is an interesting site about stupidity.

http://www.darwinawards.com/
                            LOL - One of my favorites for years. I see they're coming out with a movie - too funny.

Looks as if Johannesburg isn't immune either

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1994-26.html

Comment

From http://www.mlaw.org/wwl/

A box of birthday cake candles says: “DO NOT use soft wax as ear plugs or for any other function that involves insertion into a body cavity.”

Not sure I really want to know how this warning came about.
                              Terry
                              Lurking at JP since the BA 777 at Heathrow and AD lost responsiveness to the throttles.
                              How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                              X