Major Breakthrough - Scientists Decode Brain Farts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Breakthrough - Scientists Decode Brain Farts

Hey - don't blame me, this was reported on MSNBC, so it must be true. Oddly enough, they even used the phrase "brain fart". I bet we won't hear that on network television.

We've all goofed up and flubbed up things we've previously done time and again.

It turns out the root of these brain farts may be a special kind of abnormal brain activity that begins up to 30 seconds before a mistake even happens.

The solution to such screw-ups could be a kind of mind-reading hat, a device to predict and even prevent mindless errors that can threaten lives.

When people blunder after performing the same task over and over, scientists had suspected that such lapses were due to momentary hiccups in concentration. Still, little was known about what the brain was actually doing before such errors.

To investigate further, the brains of volunteers were scanned as they performed a monotonous task — repetitively pushing buttons that matched images flashed at them.

Findings ‘spooked’ scientists
    Unexpectedly, before volunteers made errors, their brains started displaying abnormal behavior ... up to a half-minute beforehand.

"We thought initially that it would be quite remarkable if we were to find abnormal activity six or so seconds ahead," said researcher Tom Eichele, a neuroscientist at the University of Bergen in Norway. "That the entire process spans across a much longer timescale was quite astonishing and spooked us, such that we checked this finding over and over again." More here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24245365/
    Do all countries have the concept of "brain fart"?
    Terry
    Lurking at JP since the BA 777 at Heathrow and AD lost responsiveness to the throttles.
    How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? Sherlock Holmes

Yeah, i have them all the er...

...Erm...

...errr....
    I Rule!

Comment

Terry
      Lurking at JP since the BA 777 at Heathrow and AD lost responsiveness to the throttles.
      How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
      X