Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Needed on Removal of Wisdom Teeth

Hi All,
    I was at the Dentist today and found out I needed my Wisdom Teeth removed which didn't surprise me. I am hoping to get surgery in either Late July or during my College's Winter Break. So does anyone have any advice on how to make it less painful?
    John Poshepny

If the Wright brother were alive today Wilbur would have to fire Orville to reduce costs.— Herb Kelleher, Southwest Airlines, 'USA Today,' 1994

GET PUT TO SLEEP. Makes it so much easier. Only part is is that you wake up and it's hell for a week after it with eating food with your tongue.

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
      GET PUT TO SLEEP.
      Amen...
      The last thing I remembered before I went under was the IV going in. I woke up what seemed like 5 minutes later with a mouth full of gauze. The most important thing is to have somebody take you home, you're going to be out of it for a while. Right when I woke up I was trying to yell obscenities at the dentist Then in the recovery room I was laughing hysterically at the muzak knob on the wall. They had me on Oxycodone or Percocet and Ibuprofen. I wasn't really in any pain as long as I took these when I was supposed to. When they wore off the pain really kicked in on the first day, but the pills took effect really quick to get rid of it. I did take my gauze out too soon and bled all over my pillow when I got home. I thought it was drool until I woke up and looked
      All in all, it most likely won't be as bad as some people make it out to be. If you can and you need to, take a couple days off school/work/whatever to stay in bed. Mine was probably a bit worse than average because I had 2 other teeth removed in addition to my wisdom teeth, so I had 6 teeth out in one sitting.
      After the following days you're never gonna wanna see pudding or applesauce again.

Comment

My dentist said "you'll feel a little pressure" after numbing it. Two seconds later they were out.

No surgery for me, but if I did have to have it I'd be getting knocked out...fot as long as possible.
        Tanner Johnson - Owner
        twenty53 Photography

Comment

Definitely get put to sleep. Follow the Doctor's instructions afterward. Take advantage of the pain medication. Stock up on soft foods like mashed potatoes, soup, pudding & jello.
          Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

I had it done without being knocked out. The dentist gave me enough shots to numb an elephant, but I didn't feel anything other than a little pressure. I did it this way because I usually have bad reactions the anesthesia.

Thankfully it didn't hurt too bad afterwards as I cannot take narcotics for pain. More than a single pill in 48 hours will make me sick.

Unless there is something wrong with a wisdom tooth, such as having it impacted and jammed up into a sinus (my sister had this happen), it's more personal preference as to whether or not you are knocked out or stay awake.

Comment

Thank You Guys for all your help. I do appriciate it, I haven't had a tooth pulled well minus that one loose tooth that my Dad pulled with a Towel. Surpringsly I was talking with some of my friends and a number of them had/have to get there Wisdom Teeth remove. One got them yanked today, I am hoping to go in a few weeks, preferably in Mid-Early Late July.
              John Poshepny

If the Wright brother were alive today Wilbur would have to fire Orville to reduce costs.— Herb Kelleher, Southwest Airlines, 'USA Today,' 1994

Comment

Originally posted by B757300
                I had it done without being knocked out.
                Same here. Once one and the other surgery for three at the time. No probs. But my mouth was under construction for quite a long time (I had one of the corner teeth growing horzintally instead of going down), so I was used to only local anaesthesia.

Isn't it also a question of cost? And is there not a risk of having side effects when being knocked out? That´s what I was told...

Comment

Originally posted by bleuair
                  Isn't it also a question of cost? And is there not a risk of having side effects when being knocked out? That´s what I was told...
                  Yep, it does cost more to go under anesthesia as it requires at least one more doctor in the room. Also, some people like myself do not tolerate anesthesia very well and become ill upon waking up.

Comment

Like said above, I received shots...The more surprising thing is they did not give me any medication for pain afterwards. It did hurt a bit and it made me wish I had some, but all-in-all it was short.
                    Tanner Johnson - Owner
                    twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by B757300

Unless there is something wrong with a wisdom tooth, such as having it impacted and jammed up into a sinus (my sister had this happen), it's more personal preference as to whether or not you are knocked out or stay awake.
                      If I understand it right it can mess up the alignment of your other teeth if you don't take care of it. So unless you wanna look like your name's Billy Bob and you're my next door neighbor, I'd get it taken care of.

Comment

There's a procedure the dentist can use called the Ging Flap procedure to remove the tooth with little pain. Versus pulling it out they use a tool the slips between the tooth and the gum that loosens the tooth where it becomes lose and easily pulled out. I had this done and I was fine within a couple hours of the procedure. However it’s not covered by most Dental insurance and can cost around a grand but it’s a night and day difference then a normal extraction.

If you elect a normal extraction, follow the dentist's post op directions to the letter. Lots of ice the first few hours will help tremendously.

Comment

Tommy,
                          Thanks for the info about how they do it.
                          John Poshepny

Comment

Originally posted by tommyalf
                            There's a procedure the dentist can use called the Ging Flap procedure to remove the tooth with little pain. Versus pulling it out they use a tool the slips between the tooth and the gum that loosens the tooth where it becomes lose and easily pulled out. I had this done and I was fine within a couple hours of the procedure. However it’s not covered by most Dental insurance and can cost around a grand but it’s a night and day difference then a normal extraction.

If you elect a normal extraction, follow the dentist's post op directions to the letter. Lots of ice the first few hours will help tremendously.
                            Thanks for that, I have to have mine removed and I haven't had it done because of fear of much pain. So I'll have to look into that.

Comment

Why the fear of pain? Pretty much everyone has to go through it. Most people I know were out with friends the night of the surgery...
                              Tanner Johnson - Owner
                              twenty53 Photography

Comment

Working...
                              X