I finally see why everyone here hates a.net

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally see why everyone here hates a.net

His response to me asking for a further explanation to a rejection explains much of it...

What am I, your personal photography teacher? Have a look at your photo
    again and stop asking questions with obvious answers.

/ Johan
    Yep...i finally see why.

The man lacks any inter-personal skills.
    I don't "hate" him, but I certainly don't support A.net anymore.

There are better, friendlier aviation websites out there . You are looking at one.

Comment

I just signed on again to A.net. It’s not nearly as bad as it was when I left before, but there are still problems. The non-av forum isn’t as hostile as before (aside from a few idiotic users), but things in the civil-aviation forum are getting worse. I’ve never seen it as political as it is now.

I can’t comment on Johan as I really have had no interaction with him. Though the general consensus I hear is that he lacks people skills.

By the way, Hepkat is no longer a moderator there. The forum moderation, for the most part, has drastically improved because of this.

Comment

Ouch. Tact and diplomacy missing with that statement. It probably would have taken two seconds longer to give an explanation rather than the insult.

Comment

LOL learned a valuable lesson my friend

Johan said my photos suck!

welcome to the club man
          Welcome to Buckeye City! They call me Mr.sniffles

Comment

What was the silly question you asked him? Actually I don't blame him. After all do think he really has time to answer everyones questions? That is why he has the forums...........

Comment

Well one, i asked him for a further explanation. I submitted an appeal becasue i did not know what the reason the screener chose was trying to say. And he gave me the same response. So i asked him for an explanation and that's what i was told. By the way, i'm not paying 25 bucks to get a question answered.

Comment

I think this topic sums up why other people hate a.net as well http://www.airliners.net/discussions...d.main/100491/

*Note: I am not saying I hate a.net or Johan, I just disagree with the way the site is being run, and feel Johan could show a little more respect in some of his responses. I no longer upload to a.net and took my photos to this site when I felt I could not stay up to airliners.net standards, and topics like the one above just backed up my reasons to stop uploading to a.net. At the same time, I realize he (and anyone who runs a website) has a great deal of work that needs to be done and can't answer every question, so that must be a stressful job especially if it's a non-profit site. So I guess the moral is you can disagree with the way a site is being run, but it's not the end of the world if your pictures aren't accepted on one site, you can always try uploading your shots on another site (like this site! )

Comment

How do you judge someones people skills when you've never met them?

As for his response, why didn't you just post a topic in the forums? So many more people and photographers willing to give detailed explainations and even edit your photo to a more acceptable version. Who knows, maybe he responded the way he did because he reads these forums on occasion and holds grudges against people that just take his site for granted or join in on a.net bashing topics whenever the opportunity arrises

I always find it amusing when someone starts a hate topic for a.net on these forums and a million others chime in with their ""'s and ""'s about how much they love this site and how much they hate that one. Its a website, lol. And the larger this one gets the more the standards will be increased and the more "immature" people will get banned- just like at a.net. What are all you a.net bashers going to do then? This site has already lost a number of members that couldn't take the standards or acted like an idiot on the forums.. Might as well just chill out and enjoy both websites without all the bashing.

Comment

By the way.. higher standards are a good thing. For example:

Then:

Now:

Without higher standards (the same higher standards I too was frustrated with about a year or so ago before I realized that acceptions/rejections don't matter a rats bum), well, most of us would never improve very much.

Comment

Hmmm... Scott, seems I remember seeing your name in the welcome section at Airliners.net just the other day.................

Comment

Johan's problem is he absolutely forbids any discussion about his website.

Criticsism is not tolerated, as he believes his site is perfect.

I had three photos rejected for baddark, I was advised to appeal by Gary Watt and Jason Taperell, both senior screeners, with the comment "they should not have been rejected", only for Johan to reject on the appeal for baddark again.
                        So what does that say about the screening process there?

Of course any attempt to bring about a discussion on this topic is shot down by Johan with his usual bury the head in the sand attitude and you are asked to leave the website.
                        There are serious issues with screening and consistency over there, but Johan prefers to think it is always the photographers who have the problem, he refuses to contemplate for one second that there could be any problems with his site.

Considering he would be nothing without the photographers who upload to his website, you might expect him to be a little more gracious and interested in their views. However he is not, he cares nothing for the people who use the site and treats them with insults and contempt, as can be seen from the thread above.

When people like Andy Hunt and Colin Work resign and people like Glenn Alderton pull their photos from the site that should tell anyone with half a brain that there are problems that need addressing, however Johan finds it easier to lay fault at the individual's door rather than seeking answers from within.

I find it really quite disgusting how he speaks to people, and how he deals with the people who put his site where it is today.
                        He needs a real wake up call, that his site is nothing without the photographers, and I would suggest he beware of the saying
                        "Beware of biting the hand that feeds you"
                        Garry Lewis

Air Team Images - www.airteamimages.com
                        Air Traffic Controller - Toronto ACC (West Low)

https://flic.kr/ps/AAWk8

Comment

Originally posted by atco
                          Considering he would be nothing without the photographers who upload to his website, you might expect him to be a little more gracious and interested in their views. However he is not, he cares nothing for the people who use the site and treats them with insults and contempt, as can be seen from the thread above.
                          Originally posted by atco
                          I find it really quite disgusting how he speaks to people, and how he deals with the people who put his site where it is today.
                          He needs a real wake up call, that his site is nothing without the photographers, and I would suggest he beware of the saying
                          "Beware of biting the hand that feeds you"
                          Well said Garry......

I had this photo rejected there as 'baddouble';

[photoid=4132]

There's only 4 photos of ZS-JES on airliners.net;

I couldn't (& still can't) see where the double was supposed to be so I duly submitted an appeal.

I checked the status of that appeal regularly & after a couple of weeks or so it was still at its original queue position. I emailed Johan & said that it appeared as though it was stuck in the appeal queue.

I eventually received a reply that was along the lines of 'I'm busy & will sort it out when I have time'. A couple of weeks later there was no progress so I sent a message to the 3 or 4 people who'se email addresses were shown on the contact page (incase Johan really had been two busy for a couple of weeks) & said that I couldn't find a reply to my query / appeal & could someone please look into it.

I received, almost immediately, an appeal rejection (The phrase "Rare photos - easy to get accepted. Common photos - hard to get accepted" evidently doesn't hold true). I thought no more about that until, a day or two later, I received an email from a staff-member at airliners.net. I shant quote large portions incase I inadvertantly identify the person but it expressed disgust at what he termed Johan's "holier than thou" attitude. He described the photo which had been rejected as "damn near perfect" & offered to ensure it was accepted. I declined the offer. (& havn't since uploaded there)

Even more interesting than his own staff being disgusted with Johan were the quotes from messages which had been sent by & around the staff there. I'd been accused of being "arrogant for demanding a reply" (amongst other things), the person who'd contacted me went through all my messages & agreed that there was nothing which could possibly constitute a demand.

As a result they lost out on stuff like a PrivatAir BBJ, Russian Government IL-62, German Army CH-53s, Ariana An-24, Iran Asseman B727, Mahan Air Tu-154, Arianas A300 fleet, all at Kabul. Or what about a Russian Army Mi-24 at Kunduz in Northern Afghanistan, etc, etc. I wouldn't pretend that any of my photos are particularly good, I know they're not but quite a few of them are at least unusual......

Cheers
                          Richard

Edit: Correct typo
                          View my photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Richard,

This does not surprise me, I too have had private communication from several members of the staff there who are unhappy with Johan's policies, attitude and dictatorial style.

I won't make quotes to avoid identification and to respect the privacy of one-to-one email, although I would dearly love to share some of the more juicy comments.

Sadly the staff know that should they dare to question Johan, or to criticsise or complain they will be sacked, which is a dreadfully sad state of affairs. Truly the arrogance of Johan knows no bounds.

I'm not against high standards, airliners has every right to set the bar as high as they want, but there are many issues over there, and amazing as it may seem, the site owner won't even consider changing anything, infact he even refuses to acknowledge any problems even exist.

The baddouble and badmotiv rejections are two of the most ill-used and inconsistent rejections going, they seem to be used in a totally random way, and as we all know appealing does no good.

I for one enjoy screening and viewing your unique pictures, and if airliners does not want them, then as far as I am concerned it's their loss and our gain.

Regards

Garry
                            Garry Lewis

Comment

Double post, sorry
                              Garry Lewis

Comment

Working...
                              X