Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada is now an Imperialist Empire

Honestly, who saw that coming?

Prime Minister Harper suspends Parliament to prevent opposition parties from ousting his new government.

And why is nobody doing anything about it?

I think what is amazing is that the U.S. even noticed.

There isn't much we can do. The Governor General allowed Harper to prorogue Parliament. It is not normally used this way, but under Parliamentary rules it is allowed.

I can only assume Robert Mugabe is smiling down in Zimbabwe.

Comment

This is all legal under our constitution. The only time the Governor General has opposed advice from the PM was back in the 30's and that was the last time.

Whoever is running government has the ball in their court.

When they return in Jan, if they want to continue with the coalition they might get it or we might be back into an election.
      My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Originally posted by E-Diddy! View Post
        Honestly, who saw that coming?

Prime Minister Harper suspends Parliament to prevent opposition parties from ousting his new government.

And why is nobody doing anything about it?
        And why is nobody doing anything about

- the Dept Homeland security ?
        - compelling all foreigners to hold a costly biometric passport in addition of the US citizens ?
        - compelling airlines to deliver passenger lists
        - compelling incoming foreign visitors to ask permission to come-in 72 hours in advance
        list of course goes on

PM Harper is right, after all, better do that than some more anticipated elections. Obie should may be wise to think of this option if he wants to steer above the Congress.

And yes, let me write GO CANADA
        Thanks for visiting
        *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
        *JetPhotos*
        Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

This is a perfectly normal function of a Westminster Parliamentary democracy. As the representative of the Queen in right of Canada the Governor-General has that authority, and her decision in this case makes much sense. The Canadians have had numerous general elections recently that have not led to stable government. Considering each one costs 300,000,000 CAN$ to run and that the last one was in October, she had acted to give Harper one final chance to reach a consensus with opposition parties before the Throne Speech in January.

This is not undemocratic - Harper will be finished either way by January if the opposition still press ahead with a vote of confidence. This is simply a last-ditch attempt to avoid a costly general election which, like the one in OCTOBER, barely two months ago, should have set as a mandate.

Foundation Course in Aviation Engineering on-going; Stage One of the journey to professional engineer!

Comment

Originally posted by uy707 View Post
            And why is nobody doing anything about

- the Dept Homeland security ?
            - compelling all foreigners to hold a costly biometric passport in addition of the US citizens ?
            - compelling airlines to deliver passenger lists
            - compelling incoming foreign visitors to ask permission to come-in 72 hours in advance
            list of course goes on

PM Harper is right, after all, better do that than some more anticipated elections. Obie should may be wise to think of this option if he wants to steer above the Congress.

And yes, let me write GO CANADA
            Firstly, we have a new president coming on line, who will most likely overhaul the DHS and immigration laws, and secondly, while inconveniencing to say the least and might I add a bit of overkill as well, the immigration laws do not actually restrict the freedoms of citizens who contribute positive good to society (re: not criminals) (One could argue that the way the laws have been enforced by the TSA and Customs do, but that is an issue up for debate). Besides, comparing the DHS and immigration law in the U.S. to Harper's suspending of Parliament in Canada is an apples to oranges comparison anyhow; in the USA, our government is still of the people, whereas in Canada as of yesterday, that is no longer the case.

Comment

I agree with the previous post in that it is an unrealistic comparison. The US is a sovereign nation and is entitled to act in any way it sees fit to protect its borders. It seems to have worked in the past 7 years. The EU, though slower off the mark, is basically now doing the same things.

On the 72-hour rule, this is hocus-pocus, a custom honored more in the breach than in the observance. Anyone with valid documents or rights to enter the US can book and fly a flight on the same day, or even turn up at the airport two hours before a flight to buy a ticket. I've done it myself.

Comment

^^It's supposed to be a government of people. To let me think it's really the case, get the electors out and supersede with some direct vote

^Anyone, in the UK, the US best ally and virtual 51st State
                Thanks for visiting
                *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                *JetPhotos*
                Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
                  The US is a sovereign nation
                  So is Canada, Australia, New Zealand and a whole host of other nations within the Commonwealth that recognize a constitutional monarchy.

Comment

Working...
                  X