Driving the Alaska Highway w/ pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving the Alaska Highway w/ pics

My friend and I drove upto Anchorage a couple weeks ago from Haines. It was a beautiful day, but freaking cold. It was -65 with when we rolled through Tok Here are some of the many pics I took.

It was VERY windy when we went over the Haines summit:

Haines Summit:

I want one:

Freaking fog banks:

Trucks are cool:

Sweet island:

First vehicle we passed, nearly four hours on the road:

Haines Junction:

Descending into Haines Junction:

Beaver Creek:

One of two coyotes seen:

Glenallen where the temp is -45

Hope you enjoyed.
    You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Damn! I like Alaska + BC

Q: Why is the snow thrower blowing it OVER the highway and not into the embankment?
    My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Where's Russia?

Comment

Originally posted by Cam View Post
        Damn! I like Alaska + BC

Q: Why is the snow thrower blowing it OVER the highway and not into the embankment?
        Well with the winds that existed, it is pretty much pointless to blow it against the wind.

Comment

Outstanding stuff, Alec. I'd love to make that drive one day. Thanks for sharing!!
          Trump is an idiot!
          Vote Democrats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269 View Post
            Where's Russia?
            Ah,u can't belive what stupid Pallien says.2012 my ass
            August 29th will be the worst day of the year.

Comment

There's daylight up there this time of year?
              Van Hoolio's JP.net Photos
              lp.org

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingKing77 View Post
                Since I can't understand your post, what the hell does your signature mean? If it doesn't have a good backstory, it's stupid.
                Tanner Johnson - Owner
                twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingKing77 View Post

Comment

I sure enjoyed it

and thanks again for the lift
                    Thanks for visiting
                    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                    *JetPhotos*
                    Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Originally posted by Van Hoolio View Post
                      There's daylight up there this time of year?
                      Yep. Quite a bit actually.

Comment

Amazing pictures. Looks like a cool trip to make.

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if you were to have an accident on that highway? Are there rescue stations anywhere near some of the more isolated spots? I'm assuming that they would have to call in a chopper from somewhere, but that would probably be used more for transport and extrication from a vehicle could be a problem if there is no one nearby.
                        Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003 View Post
                          Amazing pictures. Looks like a cool trip to make.

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if you were to have an accident on that highway? Are there rescue stations anywhere near some of the more isolated spots? I'm assuming that they would have to call in a chopper from somewhere, but that would probably be used more for transport and extrication from a vehicle could be a problem if there is no one nearby.
                          Well, it is bad news if you get in a serious wreck. There is no cell coverage for about 90% of the trip. You have to wait for someone to come by and give you a lift. As for moving the vehicle, we dont use ordinary tow trucks, we use tow trucks designed for long drives. You really have to drive carefully on the road due to lack of traffic.

Comment

Sounds like one of those 406 mhz personal locator beacons would be a good thing to have on a trip like that.

The pics are awesome.
                            Van Hoolio's JP.net Photos
                            lp.org

Comment

I've driven the Alcan three times. Twice before the thing was paved (1970 and 1972). The Alcan starts in Dawson Creek and ends 1500 miles later at Tok.
                              The first two trips were made during the winter, The snow covered road was frozen and for the most part, a good road. Still, passing trucks tossed enough rocks to crack the windshields on both vehicles and caused the replacement of 6 head lights.
                              My last trip was in July 2006. Drove a 36 foot Bounder motor-home from Prescott, Arizona to Wasilla, Alaska. It was a lovely trip, no windshield or headlight damage. I recommend the trip to anyone wishing to see Western Canada and Alaska. B.C. is beautiful. Wildlife is plentiful. Seen along the road, Bison, Moose, Caribou, Black and Grizzly Bear were the highlights.
                              Don
                              Standard practice for managers around the world:
                              Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Working...
                              X