Quiet, very quiet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiet, very quiet.

Not that I check in very often, but it is awfully quiet in here. What's up? I thought maybe killing AD.com and incorporating it with JPN would add traffic, but it seems like the opposite is the case. Strange.
    Per
    Ancient Mariner
    Certified above and below...................sea level.

Per, this site is quite different than the current AD.info or the previous AD.com.

In AD.com, which is supposed to be related with aviation safety and accidents, the rank of the most popular forums (by quantity of posts) is:

Off topic: 50% (60% if you add political and kraut corner which are also off topic)
    Aviation safety: 20%
    Aviation: 13%
    FOF: 0.2%!!!!

It's like a group of people that like to talk about everything, including aviation from time to time.

On the other hand, in the JetPhotos forum the Off topic weights only a 16% of the threads. The aviation and aviation safety forums have more traffic than wht AD.info has or that AD.com ever had.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

They discourage fun on this site...

I guess they'd rather have nobody posting than people enjoying themselves off topic. This forum used to be so much fun but the people who made it that way have been driven off by poor management and 12 year olds.

Comment

To add to Emu's post - in the past year (or, for a matter of fact the past 2-3 years), this site has declined in the amount of posting and discussion that have occurred. I know that perhaps the factual data may dispute my last statement, but seriously - I have seen many events transpire in the past two years that have led me to say that. A lot of the old guard, the venerable members, have departed. While we have seen some interesting and intelligent newer members, they have been as numerous as blue moons. We have seen the addition of many new members that were as worthless as they were unintelligent. We have seen a sever wave of censorship (most of the time, enacted for good reason and to shelter the sensitivities of those that would have been likely trampled by the 'group dynamic'), that has caused some dissent among the remaining older guard. It is saddening to see that this sight is declining, but I cannot shake that sentiment. I hope that we can shake out of that trend.
        Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu View Post
            They discourage fun on this site...

I guess they'd rather have nobody posting than people enjoying themselves off topic. This forum used to be so much fun but the people who made it that way have been driven off by poor management and 12 year olds.
            Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
            To add to Emu's post - in the past year (or, for a matter of fact the past 2-3 years), this site has declined in the amount of posting and discussion that have occurred. I know that perhaps the factual data may dispute my last statement, but seriously - I have seen many events transpire in the past two years that have led me to say that. A lot of the old guard, the venerable members, have departed. While we have seen some interesting and intelligent newer members, they have been as numerous as blue moons. We have seen the addition of many new members that were as worthless as they were unintelligent. We have seen a sever wave of censorship (most of the time, enacted for good reason and to shelter the sensitivities of those that would have been likely trampled by the 'group dynamic'), that has caused some dissent among the remaining older guard. It is saddening to see that this sight is declining, but I cannot shake that sentiment. I hope that we can shake out of that trend.
            I would have to agree with AA1818's comments, when I joined in August 2007, the forums seemed a lot more lively. The aviation discussion forum always had some interesting news and discussion. While the topics have always been pretty good, the discussion in that forum has gone downhill, now when we get a thread with a lot of responses, it's likely two or three JP.net members fighting about something that doesn't have anything to do with the thread. The aviation debate has seen a definite decline.

The aviation safety forums have become really heated, I don't mind people proposing the reason why a plane crashed, but I absoloutely hate it, when some JP.net members in that forum berate other people and resort to personal insults, there's a way to politely disagree.This is why I mostly stay clear of that forum. When I first came onto this site, this wasn't the case.

The flight review forum, still one of my favorites, has seen its traffic decrease dramatically. Most flight reviews, used to get quite a few responses and a lot of discussion used to take place there. Now most flight reviews get only one or two responses, some don't get any.

The off-topic forum still gets some funny stories and can be fun to write in, but it too has seen a decline. The aviation photography and the digital photo processing forums are the only ones, where I haven't seen a decline in the past couple of years.

The "old guard" will continue to change and I do agree with you sentiments about some new members, who add nothing to the discussion. However, we have seen some very intelligent contributors added as well. I do think that the discussion and fun on JP.net has declined a bit, most of the "old teasers" we had on this site were funny, we still have a few. Some of the new "teasers" we have just say insulting things and aren't funny most of the time.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

I also agree with but do you see it also in the views that you have on your photos that are recently accepted?

Comment

This site is geared to aircraft photography which is fine.

The off topic forum doesn't attract the same type of posts we had at ADC.
                The safety forum is secondary but it's a good place to exchange information on aircraft accidents and safety issues. Unlike the ADC forum, the aviation discussion forum is dominated by discussions of airlines, flight schedules, entertainment systems and seats. There are a few real aircraft discussions. The "Briefing Room" contains the "Name The Aircraft", a thread 117 pages long, with 2,300+ posts. It's interesting to see how some members can identify an aircraft after viewing so little. Then again these members seem to have a great deal of "FREE" time to spend "GOOGLING".

All web site change as they mature. Older members move on, new ones join. Some of the new members have technical backgrounds some don't. Some are curious and interested in learning, others aren't. All sites have a share of those with abrasive posting styles. You either endure or ignore them.

You try to keep thread somewhere close to the original topic. Keeping threads 100% on topic is impossible. The administrators have lives too!

The good old days are gone. They may or may not have been as good as we remember but they are gone.

I hope the site never changes so drastically that we lose the ability to have spirited discussions but no site can survive when personal attacks are allowed. We all lose it from time to time, apologize and move on.

I wish there was a site where those so inclined could go and flame to their hearts content and keep their flames away from here.
                Don
                Standard practice for managers around the world:
                Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

I actually like this site...The format is much easier to navigate then some of the others I have visited. I think all of these sites have a fair number of knuckleheads, but they seem to get dealt with pretty quickly here. I notice one in particular has disappeared after the Colgan thread slowed down...Thank god!!! But all in all I enjoy this site..

Comment

Originally posted by Dmmoore View Post
                    This site is geared to aircraft photography which is fine.

The "Briefing Room" contains the "Name The Aircraft", a thread 117 pages long, with 2,300+ posts. It's interesting to see how some members can identify an aircraft after viewing so little. Then again these members seem to have a great deal of "FREE" time to spend "GOOGLING".
                    It's called "having a broadband connection at work which isn't restricted to just work" Don !

So much more fun when the boss is paying for my Googling time.
                    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Working...
                    X