Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H1N1 (swine flu) may have mutated into a more dangerous deadly form.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1N1 (swine flu) may have mutated into a more dangerous deadly form.

WHO Warns of Severe Form of H1N1 Virus

Doctors are reporting a severe form of H1N1 that goes straight to the lungs, causing severe illness in otherwise healthy young people and requiring expensive hospital treatment, the World Health Organization said Friday.
    Source and full story.

Regrettably I think there has been a lot of hysteria over the swine flu. The initial strain of H1N1 seems to be less harmless than the regular flu in many ways; so much of the reaction to the initial strain was hysterical and seem to be somewhat misguided. Even though the initial strain doesn’t seem to be that severe, however there is always the danger that it could mutate/leapfrog into a more dangerous strain.

I still suspect that much of the reaction will be hysterical and misdirected; I still think that this is a threat that should raise an eyebrow and be of reasonable concern.

Regrettably I think there was much of a cry wolf phenomena by the public and politicians when H1N1 first started to gain ground. Now that the virus may be mutating into a more deadly form; much of the public may already be lagged into a false sense of security. It seems that much of the public has an inappropriate response to the threat; much of the public seems to have a hysterical hypochondriac type of attitude; while many have the polar opposite and scoff at any potential threat.

While some of the government’s response seems to be appropriate and commendable like manufacturing and stockpiling antiviral and vaccines; regrettably liberal fascists have been hatemongering/stereotyping those efforts just to be greedy profiteering Republican capitalist corporations.

Though the effectiveness of such antivirals is only marginal; it’s still better than nothing. A vaccine could possibly be highly effective in preventing/reducing the death toll from H1N1.

Hopefully the news of any mutations will be taken calmly and appropriately. Hopefully people won’t continue to react hysterically and inappropriately; which often can make things worse and waste resources and have a cry wolf effect.

Some of the reactions to the swine flu reminds me much of the anthrax scare; where the government spent lots of money supposedly doing research and in the end suggested us to stockpile gray tape, plastic sheeting, and to put cans of tuna under our beds. The government response was for the most part a waste of money and just a token effort; that only would‘ve had a minimal amount of effectiveness.

It’s amazing how many people want to blame other people yet they don’t want to look at their selves or their own personal actions. They expect essentially all the effort to be made by government and big corporations. It should be part of one civic duty that their own actions try to prevent the advancement of this disease. It should be ones civic duty to exercise sense and good hygiene. Wash your hands, cover your mouth when you cough, if you’re sick try to stay home and avoid (reduce the amount of) contact/exposure with other people.

If you’re an employer or are a manager or supervisor; don’t try to encourage your employees to come in if they have flulike symptoms. If you don’t already have; try to get your company to have a few sick days. Do your best to try to reserve the jobs of employees that take off when they have legitimate sicknesses. Unless you have good reason to suspect otherwise; if an employee calls in sick give them the benefit of the doubt. Unless you have reason to suspect an employee might be faking it; don’t require your employee or student to have a doctor’s note which would require a doctor’s visit which would increase the chance of spreading H1N1.

Normally if I was sick I would do my best to try to get into work unless I was severely sick. Considering the threat the swine flu poses; I would be more likely to call in sick if I had flulike symptoms; even if I felt that I was needed and capable of doing some work.

I'd be more concerned with the old fasioned flu bug that kills hundreds every year. Swine flu........Bah humbug!
    Who's on first?..........

Comment

Originally posted by canair67 View Post
      I'd be more concerned with the old fasioned flu bug that kills hundreds every year. Swine flu........Bah humbug!
      Hundreds every year? More like hundreds of thousand every year (worldwide). Tens of thousands yearly just in US.

The concern is if this would mutate into something more virility like the 1918 flu pandemic that killed 50-100 million worldwide. With today’s higher population and more dense population and more rapid transit the potential danger is staggering.

The 1918 flu pandemic strain also started out very weak until it mutated.

Comment

Originally posted by atfs_crash View Post

liberal fascists
        rawr

Comment

Well, we've got a "Name that Aircraft" thread, a "Name that Airfield" thread...and other surveys/opinion threads so here's a new one for you.

You have to find a thread where there is a post from ATFS Crash in which he does not use the words "fascist" or "fascism"

...and before you take a pop at me Crash, this is a tongue in cheek bit of fun which might actually get people reading your posts !!

...well....looking for one word anyway.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu View Post
            Originally posted by ATFS_Crash View Post

liberal facists
            rawr
            That'd be a good name for a garage band.

Comment

U.S. May End Up Discarding Unused H1N1 Vaccine

The incompetence of the Obama administration is staggering. It seems all they want to do is blame others for problems that largely has been created by the Obama administration. They complain and some of them are nearly hysterical because the vaccine is slow and there isn’t enough to go around to everyone right now. Initially they were complaining because there wasn’t enough vaccine being made. Now since it’s been revised that a single dose for most people will be enough for proper immunization. So now were expected to have a surplus of vaccine. Why can’t they just stockpile, resell or donate any so-called surplus vaccine? I suspect that there is a provision in the contract that prevents the redistribution/resale or possibly even the donation of the vaccination to keep redistribution or resale from flooding the market.

Comment

I have H1N1.

Just thought that everyone should know.

Comment

The incompetence of the Obama administration is staggering. It seems all they want to do is blame others for problems that largely has been created by the Obama administration. They complain and some of them are nearly hysterical because the vaccine is slow and there isn’t enough to go around to everyone right now. Initially they were complaining because there wasn’t enough vaccine being made. Now since it’s been revised that a single dose for most people will be enough for proper immunization. So now were expected to have a surplus of vaccine. Why can’t they just stockpile, resell or donate any so-called surplus vaccine? I suspect that there is a provision in the contract that prevents the redistribution/resale or possibly even the donation of the vaccination to keep redistribution or resale from flooding the market.
                  Well, if you spent half the time you spend making these rediculous posts reading about virus mutation or spoken to anyone who has studied biology in high school (year 11-13 translate that into your own school system), you'd understand that a vaccine made for this years virus will do virtually nothing next year and they as the article says will have a NEW more effective one next year.

So what would you do with them then?
                  Sam Rudge
                  A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Originally posted by ATFS_Crash
                    As usual; you're wrong. Do you do anything besides troll?

If you bothered to read and comprehend all of the article I posted.

Like the typical troll; you ignorantly took what I said out of context and attack me. I take things out of context sometimes by accident, but you and your mob do it so often I can't help but suspect you're doing it deliberately (to troll) otherwise you must be incredibly ignorant and or nuts. In any case it is very uncivilized behavior by you and your mob.

When I was alluding to as I would think almost any high school graduate would be able to understand; I was suggesting either donating any would-be unused vaccine or to stockpile it in a concentrated form so it could be used in next year's vaccine cocktail. By cocktail I don't mean the type you drink, I mean the type that is typically given as an injectable that has a mixture of strands of flu vaccines (aka the yearly flu shot).
                    Yes im a troll, ive only been reading and contributing for 5 years, my god, what a terrible troll i am.

I didnt take what you said out of context. The virus will mutate, next years strain will be different to this years, so whats the point in having the out of date stuff? I never said you said we're not putting next years strain in next years shot or whatever your claiming. Its a good thing to be doing that, less vaccines alround, i just dont see the point in keeping all this vaccine which isnt going to do a damn thing or mixing it up when a better solution will be here, but hey, you want your tantrum.
                    Sam Rudge

Comment

Originally posted by ATFS_Crash
                      You certainly are.

You seem to be implying that since you've been here longer and you made more posts but that snobbishly means you're better than others.

I think the content of your posts is more evidence and more bearing on whether you are or not a troll than the how long ago you registered and the number of posts.

As I have said many times before: quality of content is more important than quantity. I think quality of content of someone's post better shows how good someone is, not how many posts they make or for how long they have belonged. You seem to have a bigoted the elitist mentality.

If seniority equivocated to civility; then Robert Byrd wouldn't have ever been a terrorist leader of the KKK. Hitler was a senior Nazi member; therefore using your "reasoning"; Hitler must be one of the most civil Nazis.

False. You took my words out of context then you attacked me for something I wasn't implying; isn't that taking things out of context?

Did I say to stockpile the vaccine for "next year" in my original post?

If there is no point in having the current H1N1 vaccine for next year then why are they already planning to include it in next years vaccine cocktail?

Next year we still will likely have the same strand of H1N1 flu infecting people; so the vaccine would be helpful in reducing the number of infections. It's possible that in the meantime the virus may mutate into a more deadly form. It's also possible that by next year they may not have a vaccine for the mutation and it's also quite likely that if they do have a vaccine for the mutation that it will be in short supply just as it is in short supply this year (too little, too late). The current strain of H1N1 seems not to be very deadly. Some scientists say that more people might die from the vaccine than from the current strain of the flu; yet have you ever wonder why the authorities are so urgent about trying to get as many people immunized as possible? I'll tell you why; if it mutates, like I said before it could become much more deadly. The current vaccine might prevent enough people from getting the current strain of flu that it might prevent the flu from mutating. If the flu does mutate into a deadly strain like the Spanish flu; the current vaccine might give partial immunity and could possibly save millions of lives.

IE the earlier version of the smallpox vaccine; essentially infected people with a weak version of the cowpox. The cowpox infection gave a pretty good immunity against smallpox.

I'm not the one that's throwing a tantrum; you are. You're the one that is trolling and using uncivilized language. You trolls could use some anger management and some moral guidance.
                      You go on about me taking things out of context then say im saying Hitler is a civil Nazi? Talk about putting words in my mouth and taking it out of context.

And im not saying i'm more elite than you, im just sayign you cant call the longest contributers (not just refering to me) to the website a troll, Ive met Chris Kilroy, know many of the screeners and mods, im not saying im better than other members, i just think it elevates me slightly above being a troll. Perhaps now im a contributing member, but hey, apparently i think Hitler is a civil Nazi so by god that couldnt be right.

Maybe you should research vaccines, its caused by a well, to hell with explaining it in detail, but in shorthand basically its introducing the antigens from the virus to cause an immune reaction within the recipient to cause the formation of memory cells so when you get the actual disease you've already learnt how to fight it.

How this is relevant, is while we have a vaccine for the old strain of the virus, what we really got was a working vaccine that will be improved upon so it can be implimented among later flu shots. The original vaccine was a rush job to get out onto the market because of the threat posed by swine flu. You cant just mix and match your shots to create a flu shot cocktail, you need a certain amount of each antigen to cause the formation of the memory cells, also you could get reactions between the different ingrediants in the shot. That is why there's not much point keeping all these old shots, because its not as easy as you claim.

i highly doubt Obama just sat there and said we'll get rid of them, someone with a lot of experience would have looked at the cost and benifit of many different options and come up with a reccomendation.

As a side note, the countries with the highest resistance to aids were hit hard by the bubonic plague, because the way the virus attacks the immune system is the same.
                      Sam Rudge

Comment

I don't know what the hell you guys are going on about, but I got a flu shot two weeks ago and I've been sick for the past week. Just like last year. I guess it's because I'm an avowed liberal fascist nazi neo bald old fart. I also voted for Carter. Not when he won but when he lost.

Comment

I didnt vote in the last election, guess that makes me even worse.
                          Sam Rudge

Comment

ATFS...

Oh, never mind. I was going to give you a professional healthcare workers' experience of, and view on the H1N1 virus....

.....but there's no point. You would only rubbish it and manipulate me into seeming to be a liberal facist nazi paedophiliac Obama supporter.

...but Jesus, you do talk a lot of shit sometimes !
                            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

"Connecticut independent Senator Joseph Lieberman..."

Fox News makes me giggle.
                              "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Working...
                              X