X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hazmat View Post
    Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
    I'm rather chuffed to think that I may be one of the few people around here who know what that means without first referring to a medical dictionary. Sad really!

For the uninitiated. (pinched from Wikipedia)..

The longest word in any of the major English language dictionaries is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, a word which refers to a lung disease contracted from the inhalation of very fine silica particles, specifically from a volcano. Research has discovered that this word was originally a hoax; medically, it is the same as silicosis. It has since been used in a close approximation of its originally intended meaning, lending at least some degree of validity to its claim.

.....and in my 30 year career I've only ever seen one sufferer.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
      I'm rather chuffed to think that I may be one of the few people around here who know what that means without first referring to a medical dictionary. Sad really!

The longest word in any of the major English language dictionaries is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, a word which refers to a lung disease contracted from the inhalation of very fine silica particles, specifically from a volcano. Research has discovered that this word was originally a hoax; medically, it is the same as silicosis. It has since been used in a close approximation of its originally intended meaning, lending at least some degree of validity to its claim.

.....and in my career I've only ever seen one sufferer.
      Was that when you assited the victims of Pompeii? LOLOLOLOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Verbal View Post
        wrong
        precise
        Per
        Ancient Mariner
        Certified above and below...................sea level.

Comment

• no

where is Giles when you need him?
          warning: this post may contain traces of irony.

Comment

• Originally posted by Verbal View Post
            wrong
            Concur

Comment

Or you could have just asked the resident geologist...
              May a plethora of uncultivated palaeontologists raise the dead in a way that makes your blood boil

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Hilton View Post
                Concur
                Okay
                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                  Okay
                  Exactely
                  Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Comment

• Originally posted by tommyalf View Post
                    I may be old......but I 'aint THAT old.
                    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Comment

• I am secure enough to read postings from ITS and believe he should not be banned. Among other things he could tell us about the Aeronca in the background.

Comment

• Originally posted by el View Post
                          no

where is Giles when you need him?
                          sorry

Comment

• Delay.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazmat View Post
                              Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
                              Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                              Originally posted by tommyalf View Post
                              I may be old......but I 'aint THAT old.
                              Perhaps a little older? Perhaps from the Yellowstone caldera eruption, or the Chicxulub impact event?

I dub you Sir K–T boundary

Comment

• Originally posted by ATFS_Crash View Post
                                Perhaps a little older? Perhaps from the Yellowstone caldera eruption, or the Chicxulub impact event?

I dub you Sir K–T boundary
                                It's the K-Pg boundary now (since they stopped using Tertiary a few years back).
                                May a plethora of uncultivated palaeontologists raise the dead in a way that makes your blood boil

Comment

Working...
                                X