Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rio cancels World Cup Swim meets due to lack of funds, but they want the Olympics...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rio cancels World Cup Swim meets due to lack of funds, but they want the Olympics...

Just days before the International Olympic Committee is set to announce the host for the 2016 Summer Olympics, candidate city Rio de Janeiro canceled international swim events because of a lack of funding. A World Cup for next month and events scheduled for the next three years are all off because Rio, quite simply, doesn't have the cash to make it happen.

Congratulations to Rio!

Can't wait to see the celebrations and the parties going on!
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

the live broadcasts from Rio after the announcement showed alot of partying going on down there, but there is alot of questions in the real world as to whether they can really pull it off without alot of logistical nightmares
      my other half is a regular on the gamesbids.com - an olympics version of this website for aviation (i never knew there was such a fascination) along with other websites - and the main concern that alot folks have is their cancelling of the World Cup Swimming this month due to lack of funds and the fact they are hosting World Cup Soccer in 2014 which will be a major drain on their monies at a very critical time that they will need to be funding Olympic Venues...

I wish Rio the best of luck in hosting the games...A great Olympics is a wonderful thing for the athletes, and those are the only folks that matter in the Olympic Games...

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaFlyer View Post
        the live broadcasts from Rio after the announcement showed alot of partying going on down there, but there is alot of questions in the real world as to whether they can really pull it off without alot of logistical nightmares
        my other half is a regular on the gamesbids.com - an olympics version of this website for aviation (i never knew there was such a fascination) along with other websites - and the main concern that alot folks have is their cancelling of the World Cup Swimming this month due to lack of funds and the fact they are hosting World Cup Soccer in 2014 which will be a major drain on their monies at a very critical time that they will need to be funding Olympic Venues...

I wish Rio the best of luck in hosting the games...A great Olympics is a wonderful thing for the athletes, and those are the only folks that matter in the Olympic Games...
        Well, apart for logistical nightmares, recently the BBC highlighted that paying for the major sporting events is no easy matter either. The burden is initially borne by taxpayers, and later the debt is slowly chipped away. Case in point (referring to the Olympics), Quebec has only in 2006 completed their debt payments for the hosting 1976 Olympics. The question here is how will Brazil handle the debt of hosting 3 seperate events - 2014's World Cup, 2016's Summer Olympics and then 2016' Para-Olympics. While, perhaps, infrastructre from the World Cup will be reused, this is going to be no easy task. Secring debt financing will perhaps be easier as we get closer. Let's hope that things go well!
        Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Great little topic.
          And Nice work--thank you for sharing- for me this makes perfect sense though.
          Systems for document scanning service and software | Scan document services companies and solution | Imaging document services company

Comment

Well, swimming is a small sport and less lucrative than a Olympic games, I still think Brasilia is a better place than Rio to host the games for the athletes of the Brazilian cities, but money talks.
            "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

We have been looking at the olympics in school and had to write a report on them.

My dad says that brazil has an unstable economy and political system and that if vancouver can't do it, how could brasil?

leo

Comment

Originally posted by leon View Post

My dad says that brazil has an unstable economy and political system and that if vancouver can't do it, how could brasil?
                Because it has an unstable economy and political system.
                Don't you learn nothing at school?

Comment

Originally posted by Baaboo View Post
                  Because it has an unstable economy and political system.
                  Don't you learn nothing at school?
                  i guess so.

Comment

At least 12 people have been killed in Rio De Janeiro in clashes involving suspected drug traffickers and police. A police helicopter crashed after being sho...

And yes they are getting the Olympics....

Comment

Working...
                    X