• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Train spotting or plane spotting

Which is more neat?

Depends on if you shave or use Nair.

Comment

i think i know what plane spotting is (taking pictures of airplanes) which is what i want to do with my new camera

what is train spotting? is it the same thing? i find trains sorta dull and find it hard to beleive someone would waste time sitting around taking pictures of trains.

do people actually sit there and take pictures of trains going by? is there such a thing as ship spotting ?

leo

Comment

Originally posted by leon View Post
        i think i know what plane spotting is (taking pictures of airplanes) which is what i want to do with my new camera

what is train spotting? is it the same thing? i find trains sorta dull and find it hard to beleive someone would waste time sitting around taking pictures of trains.

do people actually sit there and take pictures of trains going by? is there such a thing as ship spotting ?

leo
        I think the main difference is that train spotting is like taking your stamp collection to a railroad station whereas plane spotting is like taking your baseball card collection to a parking lot overlooking an airport

Comment

Originally posted by Baaboo View Post
          I think the main difference is that train spotting is like taking your stamp collection to a railroad station whereas plane spotting is like taking your baseball card collection to a parking lot overlooking an airport
          I see i think

leo

Comment

Think both are actually pretty lame... Can always find something better to waste my time doing...
            -Not an Airbus or Boeing guy here.
            -20 year veteran on the USN Lockheed P-3 Orion.

Comment

Originally posted by P3_Super_Bee View Post
              Think both are actually pretty lame... Can always find something better to waste my time doing...
              Yes, there is always the option of beer.
              May a plethora of uncultivated palaeontologists raise the dead in a way that makes your blood boil

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Leia View Post
                Yes, there is always the option of beer.
                Beer spotting! Brill-yunt!

Comment

For the train spotters

This reminds me, could anyone get the s/n for this train please and maybe also the seating map?
                  Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Comment

The similarities are many.

Large, loud oil-burning engines. (Trains have an advantage as modern jet turbines do not generate the black smoke any more).

Running at high power, doing lots of work:

-Making a slightly heavy/large object go very very fast.

OR

-Making a very very large/heavy object go slightly fast.

People who do either activity, may have geeky tendencies.

Operators who are in command, and who are hopefully of a sound mind as they impress little boys.

You can use a frequency scanner to hear the operators talk to controllers/disptachers. (Geeky spotters carry them).

Sometimes, there are disasters:

THIS CLIP IS INCLUDED IN MY NEWEST DVD BY GREENFROG PRODUCTIONS "24 HOURS IN KIRKWOOD, MISSOURI" TO PURCHASE THIS DVD, CLICK HERE http://www.greenfrog.com/24...

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

But, most importantly, there are lots of liveries to discuss.

I once saw UP's "classic historic" liveries together: Baby-blue MoPac and Dark-red Katy. It was cool. Maybe I can upload the picture.
                    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

From Urban Dictionary:

trainspotting

As above: shooting up heroin or the like. Called so because a session will leave a dark linear mark (known as a "track") at the site of the affected vein. Hardcore users will tend to have multiple sites of injection and will locate, or "spot" an optimum vein - one with minimal "tracks" and discomfort or infection. A hit can be analogous to the impact of a locomotive or train.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                        People who do either activity, may have geeky tendencies.
                        Just trying play nice?
                        -Not an Airbus or Boeing guy here.
                        -20 year veteran on the USN Lockheed P-3 Orion.

Comment

Train spotting is boring.... and the delays.... no, thanks.

get FRA spotting informations here:
                          www.Frankfurt-Aviation-Friends.eu

Comment

Originally posted by P3_Super_Bee View Post
                            Just trying play nice?
                            I guess this is a time for total truth.

I have spotted trains and planes.

I have taken my scanner.

I have also taken my camera, but really do not have any great photos and definately, none of them are uploaded. Consequently my credentials to post on discussion fora are limited.

But yes, I could be called a geek.

But the really confusing part is I ususally get a big kick out of ITS' posts, I occasionally learn something from them, and find ITS detractors to be irritating and very often wrong.

Also, I do not care all that much about liveries, as much as I do the beauty and engineering of the machines, thier engines, and the steady hands of the operators as they manage aircraft thorugh winds, and the kinetic and potential engergy in tons upon tons of stuff as it goes up and down hills.

A frozen photograph does little to capture the incredible dynamics and skills that are unfolding before my eyes and ears.
                            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Hi 3WE, You forgot to mention all the people behind the scene making pictures of trains and boats and planes possible.

get FRA spotting informations here:
                              www.Frankfurt-Aviation-Friends.eu

Comment

Working...
                              X