X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Kilroy
    replied
    You make good points, Stefan.

I would point out that many illegals crossing the Rio Grande are also coming here looking for nothing more than a handout. The really sad situation, unfortunately, is that many more of them have grand delusions of what it's really like here. They believe that the streets are paved in gold and that good jobs are plentiful for anyone seeking them. Things aren't so hot here right now either, with unemployment (which doesn't even count illegals) hovering around 10%, so many illegals come here with the best of intentions but end up living off the system (taxpayers). I don't believe that just because someone had good intentions, that makes that acceptable.

You're absolutely right, though, Europe has it far worse than we do. I can't even fathom what it would be like to sit back and watch my country be overtaken by people who hate the way of life, and everything the country stands for. These people seem to believe that they can overtake a country, then force everyone who graciously let them in to adapt to their customs, points of view, and way of life. That ain't how it works.

If I lived in a place where I had to deal with Muslims violently, non-violently, or otherwise protesting the very foundations and principles of a country they VOLUNTARILY emigrated into, I'd probably wind up in jail, or dead. If you don't like the way things are, get the hell out and go back where you came from, in my view.

Thankfully, many European nations seem to have started fighting to try to take their countries back, through elections (in every single case, replacing liberals with conservatives, F_O_F), legislation, etc. I just hope it's not too late.

Leave a comment:

• seahawk
    replied
    It is not a problem if you let people into your country, who respect the culture of your country and are eager and qualified to work in your country and make it prosper. In that regard the US is kind of blessed with your immigrants from Mexico and Latin America.

Europe on the other hand has immigrants who hate their host countries, their culture and their way of living. They havo ne desire to work and just demand social wellfare to care for their needs, while they are sending money to terrists ready to fight the values their home countries stand for.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Kilroy
    replied
    Originally posted by Fear_of_Flying
    Why this compulsive need to "blame the liberals" or "blame the conservatives" and oversimplify every issue?
    Because, all in all, liberals (or at least those in power) are the ones who most often vote to thwart any measure that would make things more difficult for illegals. Until Joe Wilson spoke up, for example, they voted down three separate amendments to the House health care bill that would have required proof of ID (and thus citizenship) prior to rendering public sponsored care. They claimed that the bill already excluded illegals. Well, if that was so, why vote down an amendment (three times) that would have made double sure? Easy.. they wrote the wording of the bill to specifically exclude illegals, but with no mechanism to actually check to see if someone was legal or not. Sneaky!

They are always the ones you hear howling whenever there's an "unfair" (in their mind) INS raid, or when someone actually dares to enforce the immigration laws that are on the books, like Joe Arpaio down in Arizona.

I guess you could consider my view "independent," too, because I disagree with "my side" on a lot of its positions on this debate. I personally believe there's only one way to solve things, as you put it, and that's to crack down on not only the new illegals crossing into the US every day, but those who are already here illegally. Yes, it would cost money, probably a lot more than it should considering it would be the federal government in charge of running it.. but it would also save a ton.

I am also fully in favor of harsher penalties, and going along with my point above, MORE OVERSIGHT of businesses and ENFORCEMENT of the law for those companies who violate it by taking advantage of illegal labor.

And, yes, I do realize that there are a large number of illegals here who are good, honest workers looking for a better life. My point is this: come in legally. Yeah, you might have to take a test to prove that you know more than three words of English, who the President is, and prove that you have gainful employment awaiting you when you get here, so that you aren't a burden on everyone else.

Over a million do it every year, so can you.

Leave a comment:

• SYDCBRWOD
    replied
    Originally posted by Fear_of_Flying
    after all, a country of immigrants.
    We get the same howls of "stop the immigrants" which always makes me grin. Unless you are a full blood Australian Aboriginal then you are a migrant. Australia wasn't 'settled' until 1788, so the only true culture we have in Australia is what grows under your toenails.

Mind you I am not in favour of just throwing the doors open - we need to taper off the rate of migration, so some moderation in the current policies would be appreciated.

Australia - Best toenail culture in the world!

Leave a comment:

• Chris Kilroy
    replied
    Britain, France, and a whole host of other European countries are living proof of what happens when you relax immigration controls and adopt the liberal ideology of allowing anyone and everyone in because they are somehow "entitled to it."

These countries have been completely and totally overrun. We've all seen the chaotic riots by literally hundreds of thousands of immigrants in Paris. Almost every Brit I know wants out of the UK, citing the inability to go anywhere or do anything without feeling like they're in a foreign country.

Nevertheless, in spite of what we see going on in those countries right now, and despite the fact that the Brits and the French finally revolted against this crap and threw all of the liberals responsible out of office, the country I live in is proposing to do the exact same thing (amnesty). Are my fellow Americans really that stupid? I really, really fear the answer.

Coming soon to a U.S. city near you:

Leave a comment:

• SYDCBRWOD
    replied
    Originally posted by tommyalf View Post
    You didn't read what I wrote. They tend Darwinate themselves so resources can be deployed elsewhere.
    I did read it but figured that as you were complaining about them being illegal immigrants that you guys must miss quite a few. How is little Cuba doing these days?

Leave a comment:

• Princess Leia
    replied
    Dear administrators: is there any way we can resize Brian's pics so we don't have to scroll l/r to read the posts?

Leave a comment:

• tommyalf
    replied
    Originally posted by Princess Leia View Post
    Ahh, I'm about to start on Guinness #3, and the night is still young, 7:22.
    You are a stronger man then me..even if you may be a woman...I can't do Guinness...drink up!

Leave a comment:

• Princess Leia
    replied
    Ahh, I'm about to start on Guinness #3, and the night is still young, 7:22.

Leave a comment:

• tommyalf
    replied
    Originally posted by Princess Leia View Post
    This early? it's nearly 7!
    No its about 9 now, started with some vodka and tonic about 5, you know predinner drink...Chopin was about empty so I had to finish it. Then moved on to some nice red i picked up in Italy.

Leave a comment:

• Princess Leia
    replied
    This early? it's nearly 7!

Leave a comment:

• tommyalf
    replied
    Originally posted by Deadstick View Post
    Drunk? This early?
    Bit buzzed..yes

Leave a comment:

• Deadstick
    replied
    You didn't read what wrote. They tend Darwinate themselves so recourses can be deployed elsewhere.
    Drunk? This early?

Leave a comment:

• tommyalf
    replied
    Originally posted by SYDCBRWOD View Post
    Hang on - I thought you guys dominate all the sealanes - that nothing on the surface (or indeed under) the seas can travel without being watched by the USN? Do you make an exception for the seas closest to CONUS?
    You didn't read what I wrote. They tend Darwinate themselves so resources can be deployed elsewhere.
    Last edited by tommyalf; 2009-10-19, 00:38.

Leave a comment:

• Princess Leia
    replied
    You’re mixing two different things here. Simply because they bring their own culture to this country which I have no issues (in fact I had Mexican for lunch, they make a good burrito)
    That is in fact where you are wrong, my friend.

"Good Mexican food" is an oxymoron.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X