Catastrophic Earthquake in Haiti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catastrophic Earthquake in Haiti

Could be the worst earthquake in 200 years in the Caribbean, with hundred of people dead....here is a video showing the magnitude of this tragic event, you can see the Presidential Palace totally destroyed:

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

This will be Katrina x 1000 in terms of how conditions will continue to further deteriorate in the days and weeks after the actual event. Haiti has been overrun with corruption, violence, and lawlessness for as long as most people can remember.

Once the initial shock wears off, the Haitians will go into survival mode, and surviving means doing whatever it takes. In such a poor and unstable locale with the infrastructure so completely destroyed, mass pillaging, looting, rape, and murder will be rampant within days, just like it was in New Orleans, only on a much larger scale.
    Trump is an idiot!
    Vote Democrats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Kilroy View Post
      ...with the infrastructure so completely destroyed....
      Are you suggesting that Haiti had a functioning infrastructure before the quake?
      I like Mick Mouse

Comment

Apparently the U.S. has a number of military and Coast Guard enroute and already has some search and recovery teams on the ground. Kilroy is right about the potential to be many times worse than New Orleans. I flew into New Orleans two days after Katrina to do some work and it was already starting to deteriorate. I didn't stay. With the very limited resources in Haiti, people will soon be eating the stray dogs and cats.

Comment

This is a terrible event and couldn't have hit a a more desprate nation. What Gov't that was in place is no longer. The toll on human life and the chaos that is going to ensue until troops are on the ground will make this event even worse then it already is.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Snappy View Post
            Are you suggesting that Haiti had a functioning infrastructure before the quake?
            Well, more so than it does now, though that isn't saying much.
            Trump is an idiot!
            Vote Democrats!!

Comment

That puts me off making donations, monetary or otherwise, knowing that much, if not all, of it will end up in the pockets of the corrupt and/or already rich. I can almost hear them say to themselves "Earthquake? Ka-ching!"

Of course, if there are organisations whose access to the affected areas is unfettered by bureaucracy, I'd be happy for anyone to provide a link.

If not, all I can say is thank God I wasn't born a Haitian.
              For the love of God, folks, don't try this at home.

Comment

Originally posted by shakermaker View Post
                That puts me off making donations, monetary or otherwise, knowing that much, if not all, of it will end up in the pockets of the corrupt and/or already rich. I can almost hear them say to themselves "Earthquake? Ka-ching!"

Of course, if there are organisations whose access to the affected areas is unfettered by bureaucracy, I'd be happy for anyone to provide a link.

If not, all I can say is thank God I wasn't born a Haitian.
                Red Cross. There is no Haitian government or bureaucracy left in place to pilfer the money brought in by good organizations. Here's a list of reputable choices for donating:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/01/13/haiti.earthquake.how.to.help/index.html

Comment

Thanks Bubba.
                  For the love of God, folks, don't try this at home.

Comment

I have never seen such devastation before, and reminds me of Hurricane Andrews in Miami....not sure which was worst: Hurricane Andrews or Katrina...but I went to Miami to visit some relatives 2 months after Andrews and it was like an atomic bomb...thousand of homes destroyed or damaged, including large buildings, hangars at the airport totally collapsed, pieces of airplanes everywhere...I personally think Andrews was worst than Katrina.

Comment

It does not seem as if the situation will improve today. I'm just following German news (television and internet) and they say that MTPP control tower (Port-au-Prince) collapsed, thus, food has to be flown to Dominican Republic. Then, they bring it to Haiti via ground transport (if the streets are ok):

The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
                      The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                      And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                      This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Add no electricity at the airport in PAP/MTPP, the second international airport in Haiti seem to be functioning at the north coast.
                        I surprised that the now ruined presidential palace isnīt used as helipad?
                        Wonder if Cuba could use their Mil-8/17s to fly out injured to Santiago de Cuba?
                        "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Watch the "domino effect" at the buildings located at the background of this surveillance camera in Haiti:

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Comment

On the TV news channels I see C-17 aircraft are supporting the relief effort. One took off from March ARB (near me) in California last night loaded with firemen and their equipment.

Comment

The airspace in Haiti is too crowded..!
                              =======================
                              WASHINGTON — All civilian flights from the United States to Haiti were halted Thursday at the request of the Haitian government because there is no room at the earthquake damaged Port-au-Prince airport for more planes and no fuel to spare for departing aircraft.
                              The FAA ordered the "ground stop" on flights Thursday morning after the Haitian government said it would not accept more flights into Haitian airspace, said a U.S. official who wasn't authorized to speak publicly and asked not to be named.
                              At the time, there were 11 flights circling the heavily damaged airport, but no more ramp room to store planes once they had landed, the official said.
                              There was also very limited jet fuel available for planes leaving Haiti, the official said.
                              The air traffic control tower at Toussaint L'Ouverture International Airport was destroyed in Tuesday's earthquake.

Comment

Working...
                              X