• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's fiasco at A.net? What happened?
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
      Today's fiasco at A.net? What happened?
      Well, there was an amazingly huge ad for some car as background on a.net which caused a thread with 100+ replies and complaints. Most of them were not amused

Comment

Originally posted by MrSkyGuy View Post
        Today's fiasco at a.net has been the best advertising for jp.net I've ever seen. While its going to be difficult, Im going to be looking long at hard towards making the switch.
        You can always start with a few and test the water over here. A few rules and standards are different, but you should get it right quickly.
        My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
        My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
        ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
          You can always start with a few and test the water over here. A few rules and standards are different, but you should get it right quickly.
          That's what I did. Some shots got accepted here, but not at a.net. But the other way around as well, some shots got accepted on a.net but rejected here.
          rules are different. Just give it a try, you have nothing to loose.

Comment

Originally posted by WILCO737 View Post
            That's what I did. Some shots got accepted here, but not at a.net. But the other way around as well, some shots got accepted on a.net but rejected here.
            rules are different. Just give it a try, you have nothing to loose.

....and we're much, MUCH more friendly here as there's no commercial interest in JP. Chris Kilroy runs it, not some for-profit media enterprise.
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
              ....and we're much, MUCH more friendly here as there's no commercial interest in JP. Chris Kilroy runs it, not some for-profit media enterprise.
              Well, I am a user on both sites for 5 years and I haven't had trouble at a.net until around July 2009. I wouldn't call them unfriendly, it is just a big company behind it all. On one hand it is good on the other it isn't.
              Currently I am not uploading nowhere as I am somehow taking a break from photography.

wilco737

Comment

Originally posted by WILCO737 View Post
                Well, I am a user on both sites for 5 years and I haven't had trouble at a.net until around July 2009. I wouldn't call them unfriendly, it is just a big company behind it all. On one hand it is good on the other it isn't.
                Currently I am not uploading nowhere as I am somehow taking a break from photography.

wilco737
                Ive noticed the same as well. But in the case of why I think the friction level is going up, I'm thinking of it as a "death by a thousand tiny cuts" sort of thing. Airliners.net is a hobby site that supports (or supported) the organized viewing of quality airliner photographs. Jetphotos.net does the same thing. But that's where the differences start.. once you get past the photo hosting element, there's an entire difference between the communities here and there.

I'm definitely going to "begin my migration".

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                  No commercial interest apart from the usual bribes to screeners in return of positive thinking while screening ....

Seriously: there are different aviation sites in the whole WWW, I think almost everybody will find something which suits their needs. What I still find amusing is that anti JPnet-reflex on the (at least part of) Anet community. That's ridiculous, to put it mildly.

I stopped uploading there after some more than just questionable decisions, just as rejections for similar, when I didn't have any other photo of the same aircraft, or fancy quality rejections on a photo, which is now my most viewed over there. The rejections alone were not the reason, but some mails and replies (public and private) I got from some of the crew members, where you could smell the Anti JP-reflex. One of the photogs (not crew member) there even suggested in a topic, that I should not participate in a discussion about some problems there (don't remember, what it was), because I was crew member here ..... WTF!!!???

The glorious highlight was when I pointed out a bug: when you open a photo with Internet Explorer (works also with Firefox without any addblocker), you get up to 5 hits. I got slammed, I should not post such rubbish and yaddayaddayadda, post has been deleted and so on. That was about 2007 and several colleagues confirmed it. You know what? The bug was still there about 2 months ago (had to test it ) and I'm sure it is still working ... gonna test it now

So I thought, it's just too much hassle for just a hobby and left. This was before it was taken over by Demandmedia. So, can't say, how it changed since then, but I know, that many photogs still like it over there and my photos still get hits. So I guess, there's something for everybody.

Cheerio
                  My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

I think both websites have its advantages and disadvantages. I have been very active on a.net for a couple of years and less active here on JP. I enjoyed my time over there, had some good discussions, got a lot of help with my pictures, met some nice people etc etc. Things have changed a bit and I personally think it is a good website, which has its problems to deal with. A.net is a strong and huge community which makes it difficult for the management to deal with.
                    My decisions to stop posting there in the forum happened after many users made fun of an MD11F incident. I am referring to the hard landing in MEX of one of our MD11Fs. Most posts in the thread were saying: "hey wilco, you cannot land that airplane anymore. You should get more training on the MD11" etc etc. They didn't even knew if it was me or not doing this landing (just for the record, it wasn't me).
                    This tasteless behaviour made me stop posting there. I spent a lot of time, of my free time to answer questions about aviation. Which I like doing as I know many people seek more information about my job and I am willing to answer these. But even if they thought they made fun, it wasn't funny for me.
                    Anyway. That's what I wanted to say

wilco737

Comment

Me I just like the forums here better. I dont upload pictures as Ive not gotten out to get any yet (and I have a Canon XTi with a 70-300 zoom too)

(Im sure if you knew I worked for B at KPAE you would want some, but alas, Ive never been able to get out when the new ones are flying)

Comment

No commercial interest apart from the usual bribes to screeners in return of positive thinking while screening ....
                        Those bribes I gave where not for positive thinking, they where for acceptances. I am not paying you to reject my photos, but still think that some day I will make a nice photo.
                        Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

Enterprising bunch, aren't we? I haven't had a single sober night since I started screening here!
                          Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

I stopped uploading there after some more than just questionable decisions,
                            Was it not after they discovered the link to your photos at JetPhotos

The glorious highlight was when I pointed out a bug: when you open a photo with Internet Explorer (works also with Firefox without any addblocker), you get up to 5 hits. I got slammed, I should not post such rubbish and yaddayaddayadda, post has been deleted and so on. That was about 2007 and several colleagues confirmed it.The glorious highlight was when I pointed out a bug: when you open a photo with Internet Explorer (works also with Firefox without any addblocker), you get up to 5 hits. I got slammed, I should not post such rubbish and yaddayaddayadda, post has been deleted and so on. That was about 2007 and several colleagues confirmed it.The glorious highlight was when I pointed out a bug: when you open a photo with Internet Explorer (works also with Firefox without any addblocker), you get up to 5 hits. I got slammed, I should not post such rubbish and yaddayaddayadda, post has been deleted and so on. That was about 2007 and several colleagues confirmed it.
                            Cheerio
                            Yeh I remember that Gerardo.....that was a real howl

On a more serious note I find Airliners useless when it comes to new photo additions of the Irish aviation scene.I check about once or twice a month only to find about five or six new additions

Comment

Originally posted by W7PSK View Post
                              Me I just like the forums here better.
                              I'm on the other side of the fence regarding this issue. There is a higher level of activity at a.net and I feel that, with the increased user base, there is more knowledge associated with that. I came over here from ad.com and immediately noticed that the topics hardly moved.

Now, I still come here because I feel like I can contribute without immediately getting my head chewed off if I make an error.

Comment

Originally posted by thxcollins View Post
                                I'm on the other side of the fence regarding this issue. There is a higher level of activity at a.net and I feel that, with the increased user base, there is more knowledge associated with that. I came over here from ad.com and immediately noticed that the topics hardly moved.
                                I would definitely agree that A.net has a higher activity level than JP.net, but at the same time A.net is a far cry from the activity it used to have. When things were still busy around 3 years or so ago, the oldest topic on the first page was just a couple of hours old. Nowadays, before they decided to shorten the forum pages (gee, I wonder why?), the oldest threads were up to a week old. But, that's what you get when you ban/delete/p!ss off a large percentage of your active user base for pathetic reasons, even if it means losing users with plenty of aviation knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                                X