Pls help with this photo....wing view.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
    Do you know what the last thing to go through its mind was when it took off again ?

The planes' tailfin !!
    Boom - Tish! The only case of a bird ever having a plane strike!
    Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Rtyrpics View Post
      Sorry, is that real? Although it is an amazing photo
      How did the bird manage to get on the wing without being sucked into the engine?
      RT
      The engine is a relatively small area compared to the entire wingspan. Still, it would be safest if the duck approached the wing from above and behind.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by Connie View Post
        SYD, I think you're forgetting the slipstream factor. In ornithological circles the Indian Runner Duck has been reported to have exceeded the 350 knot barrier on a number of occasions, but only where the existence of aircraft slip stream of wave turbulence vortex effect has been proved to be in operant during the observed phenomenon. Transpose that fact onto the parameters stated previously and we approach a situation more accurately portrayed in the image posted by the OP. Such extreme, but entirely possible conditions would undoubtedly create an enormous energy deficit output for the Duck, hence the need to seek additional nutrition in flight, namely the bread roll.
        Connie, yeah I had heard of that phenomenon, and in fact read a paper (Doctoral Thesis) by I.M. Gullible on that exact subject, but you have been able to explain it much more succinctly than that 15,305 page (without abstracts and appendicies) tome. I'll confess that I only read to page 14,321 before my sucicide attempt and subsequent recovery.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by SYDCBRWOD View Post
          Ryan, that duck is a fairly rare sub species of Indian Runner Duck, except instead of being a fast runner, it has developed an extrodinary set of wind muscles, and for short periods can exceed 350knots! I believe this duck probaby saw someone eating a bread roll, thought he was in for a bit and went to 'beg' at the window. So he avoided being sucked into the engine by approaching the aircraft from behind and overtaking it as it was coming in to land.

Lets face it, it's the only rational exlanation....
          I do work for a domestic US airline, and it should be noted that I do not represent such airline, or any airline. My opinions are mine alone, and aren't reflective of anything but my own knowledge, or what I am trying to learn. At no time will I discuss my specific airline, internal policies, or any such info.

Comment

Originally posted by PMN View Post
            What a ducking brilliant shot!

Ohh dear... That was terrible. Ahh well... I'll duck off and do some more screening now.

P.S. Is that an A343 by any chance? If so no damned wonder the duck was able to catch up!
            , btw can't you tell it's a Singapore Airlines 744?
            Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Comment

Originally posted by Connie View Post
              SYD, I think you're forgetting the slipstream factor. In ornithological circles the Indian Runner Duck has been reported to have exceeded the 350 knot barrier on a number of occasions, but only where the existence of aircraft slip stream of wave turbulence vortex effect has been proved to be in operant during the observed phenomenon. Transpose that fact onto the parameters stated previously and we approach a situation more accurately portrayed in the image posted by the OP. Such extreme, but entirely possible conditions would undoubtedly create an enormous energy deficit output for the Duck, hence the need to seek additional nutrition in flight, namely the bread roll.

Awesome first post.
              I walked across an empty land
              I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
              I felt the earth beneath my feet
              Sat by the river and it made me complete

Comment

Working...
              X