No announcement yet.

SmartAss answers..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was a wonder that Lady Clementine stayed with Winnie for so long - whatever one's opinion is of Winnie - he certainly was not short of words
    RobB

Comment

In the course of my work duties I have once or twice had to deal with members of the Churchill family. Data protection and confidentiality dictates that I cannot say who or where.....but some of their stories are fascinating.
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Damn right fascinating!
        Reminds me of my brother who worked for SACA (South Australian Cricket Assoc). Part of his duties were to liaise with Sir Donald Bradman. (And my brother is a huge cricket tragic!) On one hand you just want to hop up on his knee and ask him to tell you another one, on the other hand one cannot come across as too familiar so as to not offend the man.
        Knowing and having access to the Churchill mob would be unbeleivable.
        It was Churchill more than anyone else who dug in and told the Nazi where they could stick it...This while countries all over Europe were capitulating under the German onslaught.
        It would have been easy for a mortal man to have signed a treaty and stayed out of it, (or even joined the Germans as they were VERY interested in England fighting on their side...they are brothers after all.)
        How the War and today as a consequence would have been different had Winston not been there...

Comment

....It was Churchill more than anyone else who dug in and told the Nazi where they could stick it...
          ...but you have to admire this commander for a short, succinct, to the point answer...

On 22 December 1944, during the Battle of the Bulge in World War II, Anthony Clement McAuliffe (1898-1975) was acting commander of the 101st Airborne Division in charge of the defense of Bastogne, Belgium. The advancing German forces called on his garrison to surrender. The Americans were surrounded. Instead, Anthony McAuliffe wrote:

"To the German Commander: NUTS! The American Commander." Bastogne was successfully held by the Americans.

Pure Gold
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post

...but you have to admire this commander for a short, succinct, to the point answer...

Pure Gold
            One of my favorite qoutes of WW2
            August 29th will be the worst day of the year.

Comment

Working...
            X