The last day of Summer...or winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The last day of Summer...or winter

WEll, for those of you people in the southern hemisphere, I wish I was down there.

For the people in the North, congrats! Summer 2003 is a few hours from ending for me! When we wake up, it will be fall....time to go to school in the darkness again, time to make sure that the car's windsheld is not frozen sold, time to make sure than you can touch the steering wheel.

So fall, take on your worst! I'm right here, and please, make it spring quickly!

Winter - Atlanta...... Yeah Right!

It gets down to like 40 in Atlanta... Go north and see what they get up there!

Never theless... Im still gettin sunny warm weather here in Florida!

DeltaASA16

Comment

Re: The last day of Summer...or winter

Originally posted by ATLcenter
      WEll, for those of you people in the southern hemisphere, I wish I was down there.

For the people in the North, congrats! Summer 2003 is a few hours from ending for me! When we wake up, it will be fall....time to go to school in the darkness again, time to make sure that the car's windsheld is not frozen sold, time to make sure than you can touch the steering wheel.

So fall, take on your worst! I'm right here, and please, make it spring quickly!

Yeah, absolutely no sympathy from me

Comment

Argh! Winter!
        AIRIGAMI.NET
        http://www.airigami.net - The next generation of paper airliner modeling.

Comment

Haha! Winter in Atlanta?! That's a good one, you almost had me for a second

REAL winter is when you leave a bottled water inside your house in your TV ROOM and it becomes ice overnight because your house isn't insulated enough...trust me, its happened many times before to me...
          Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

FYI, I don't live in Seattle....it's Atlanta. We get well below 40 on winter days. And the bottle thing? Geez maybe it would happen at my house too if my dad didn't keep the thermostat on 85....

Not to make it sound like I think we have a tougher winter. Just that it's harder for us, since we're used to the warmth more than the coldness. I swear, If I'd not lived in Boston before moving to ATL, I wouldn't know what a winter was....

Conversly, Do you people know how to enjoy a 6 month long summer? It starts to freeze here only in November, and frankly, by March, we're out of it... sux for you people in NY and ORD who have parking lot icebergs and black ice every five miles.

Now let's ask Clovis about LA's winter....

Comment

Its been a real nice day here.
              Spring has sprung, as they say.
              Bit windy though, but I can't wait for summer. As much as I whine about it, I really do enjoy those long summer nights.
              I'm that star up in the sky, hey I made it, I'm the world's greatest.

Comment

Conversly, Do you people know how to enjoy a 6 month long summer? It starts to freeze here only in November, and frankly, by March, we're out of it... sux for you people in NY and ORD who have parking lot icebergs and black ice every five miles.
                Actually, I do. before living here, I lived in Germany, NC, and Hawaii, so I know a lot about summer. The thing that gets me is when I read articles about schools in the south closing because of 1/4 inch of snow...right now I live in one of the snowiest cities in the USA, with some locations picking up more than 300 inches of snow per year...I have little sympathy for people complaining about a few inches of snow per year that they get
                Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Well, see, part of the fun of not getting snow by the feet is that we enjoy it when we get it. School may close for an inch of snow, but it sure as hell is fun when it does! The schools close for safety on the roads, mainly. Our bus drivers freak out even in a spot of rain! In fact, one of them stopped on the shoulder of a major 3 lane artery road because it was raining too hard!
                  Also, it really is quite nice to have so much snow that it melts in two days, but you can still play with it! My friends and I took snow from three different houses to make a snowman 5 feet tall...

Also, my family is no stranger to a lot of snow, since we go up north virtually every winter (Last time it was skiing at Grouse Mtn, Vancouver: Snow: 14 ft.) So ya....I'm kinda happy with my climate. It could be a bit more snowy, but there!

Comment

Winter...makes for some good photo oppertunities but you have to keep a car nearby :P Wee bit nipply out there?

Comment

SWACaptain,

Gotta love WNY weather-10 months of winter and two months of slushy skiing!!!

Fall was my favorite season in BUF. September brought the best weather -as we would trudge back to the classroom after Labor Day. No more humidity, mosquitoes, or locusts.

Indian Summer would come along in October and bring blue skies, 70+degree days, cool nights, and beautiful fall foliage. Apple cider, picking out a pumpkin on Halloween, raking leaves, my father mounting snow tires on the back of the station wagon.

After fall comes....

November would bring the first arctic blast from the North (thanks Canada :P ) and with it Lake Effect Snow. 24" snowfalls are not uncommon-more common in December as more arctic blasts occur. January/February brings piles of snow and cold temps. It can get below zero quite frequently. I remember many mornings of -15 or colder. One Christmas morning it was a balmy -25 degrees with 18 inches of snow on the ground. A thaw occurs when the temp hits 32 or so. 40 is a heatwave!!! Then it's winter straight until April. Even April can brew a nasty snowstorm.

No new leaves on the trees until the second week of May. Spring in WNY is a joke-3 steps forward and 2 3/4 steps back!!! Cold and wet. But at least it's not snowing-for now.

Summers were great-lush green from Memorial Day through September. Ample sunshine. Severe thunderstorms did occur with cool displays of lightning. Listening to the crickest chirp as you drift off to sleep (windows open) on a warm summer night.

Sorry to reminsce...
                      Attitude is as important as altitude...

Comment

Lol, winter in WNY sounds like winter in NNY, only warmer :P One thing that got me mad at BUF was when "Bald Eagle" hit a few years ago, and Buffalo got hit with 6 feet of snow in one storm and got tremendous media coverage. A little known fact that the media failed to report was that here east of lake ontario, Montague got 120 inches of snow from the same storm...not WNYs fault, I just hate the crummy media coverage we get up here...

Then it's winter straight until April. Even April can brew a nasty snowstorm.
                        You got that right, last winter we got 14 inches on April 21, something that completely caught me off guard. This is only my second winter in NNY, so I'm not really used to the snow..I guess that's why I keep talking about it!

Comment

I wouldn't mind it if it weren't for the drastic temperature range. Usually gets up into the mid 90's in the summer and then will drop down to the 0-10 range through the winter. it's just hard to adjust to all of that. The snow does make for some good pictures though.

Comment

if you think winter in atlanta is bad then you should move to boston, last year it got down to -30 degress in the winter and it stayed cooled for a lllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggg time, it sucked, but great for the skiers, sorry if this came out big i was just messing with the text size lol i dont wanna here complning about winter from any one who lives in a state lower than new jersey, lol you got school closed in atlanta for an inch of snow lol, in boston they wont even close school for 3 feet of snow[/quote]
                            frist is my last name, not a type-o

Comment

-30 According to weather.com Boston's record low is -18, set in 1934. Where'd you get -30 from??

Edit: Yes, i am bored

Comment

Working...
                              X