New immagration bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
    And "cheap labor" is no argument whatever for refusing to enforce the law. We have historically high unemployment. Why should all those jobs be done by illegals?
    Hypothetically, if they work just as hard as each other and these are unskilled positions shouldnt the ratio of illegals to legals working such jobs be roughly the ratio of illegals to legals who apply for the job? But i bet you'll find they arent. I bet the applications for them are majority 'illegal citizens'.

So you may have high unemployment and many illegals working, but i bet if they (illegally staying people) were all evicted, you'd struggle to find the people to work all their jobs.

And as i said, this is hypothetical, i cant really provide numbers and if there were any i doubt they'd be reliable.
    Sam Rudge
    A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Originally posted by Deadstick View Post

Now as to enforcement, reference?
      Only observation
      here in Washington they give drivers test in any language you want, if you don't speak American English they find an interpreter for you.

Every government office I go to the signs are primarily in 2 languages and they have assistance in a ton of others if needed.

I have to deal with a ton of different people and I find a lot of non-Natives have no idea what Im saying.

Schools are now teaching in 2 languages in some areas so as to not "Upset" the non-natives.

Its stupid. There has been many attempts to make English the national language and he ACLU, LaRaza et al all come out in force to make it go away.

Comment

Originally posted by W7PSK View Post
        Only observation
        here in Washington they give drivers test in any language you want, if you don't speak American English they find an interpreter for you.

Every government office I go to the signs are primarily in 2 languages and they have assistance in a ton of others if needed.

I have to deal with a ton of different people and I find a lot of non-Natives have no idea what Im saying.

Schools are now teaching in 2 languages in some areas so as to not "Upset" the non-natives.

Its stupid. There has been many attempts to make English the national language and he ACLU, LaRaza et al all come out in force to make it go away.
        I would only comment that in many European airports there are signs in multiple languages. Many Europeans also speak multiple languages and I find that communicating in English is frequently accomodated almost anywhere I go. I don't really have an opinion on whether there should be a national language for the U.S., as I'm apparently too stupid to learn another language myself. I know Russians and Czechs that speak better English than I do.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
          .....Americans do not speak English
          Quite right. Most Americans have never learned English. Instead, they (we) have learned a bastardized form of the language. AND...there is also a general feeling that this is the only and best way of communicating to the rest of the world, failing to realize that Americans comprise a small percentage of the world's population.

Comment

One more thing...before posting to the forum, try running spell check. There are plenty of free ones out there...

Comment

Originally posted by Deadstick View Post
              I would only comment that in many European airports there are signs in multiple languages. Many Europeans also speak multiple languages and I find that communicating in English is frequently accomodated almost anywhere I go. I don't really have an opinion on whether there should be a national language for the U.S., as I'm apparently too stupid to learn another language myself. I know Russians and Czechs that speak better English than I do.
              Your talking Airports, I was referring to official Government offices. Apples, and oranges.

If you go to those same countries and try to Immigrate, and go to official offices to conduct business, ask if they will help get you English translations so you don't have to learn the language.

When I was stationed in Spain, even as a military member, I still had to learn enough Spanish to conduct any business I had at official offices. When I was stationed in Japan, I wanted a japanese license, not the military equivalent, because i wanted a Motorcycle. After I was fluent in Japanese and Kanji, they would let me take the test. Subsequently, I did not get a license.

Comment

Originally posted by W7PSK View Post
                Your talking Airports, I was referring to official Government offices. Apples, and oranges.

If you go to those same countries and try to Immigrate, and go to official offices to conduct business, ask if they will help get you English translations so you don't have to learn the language.

When I was stationed in Spain, even as a military member, I still had to learn enough Spanish to conduct any business I had at official offices. When I was stationed in Japan, I wanted a japanese license, not the military equivalent, because i wanted a Motorcycle. After I was fluent in Japanese and Kanji, they would let me take the test. Subsequently, I did not get a license.
                To finish my story, I had just flown from Copenhagen to JFK. There were two older women on the flight that spoke no English. There were no multi-language signs at JFK to help them on their way to Customs. A police official started yelling at them to move along when they became confused as to where to go. Anyone that could read English could tell from the posted signs where they should go.

We don't seem to have much tolerance in America for other cultures.

I don't know if requiring others to speak a specific language to obtain rights and privilages is a good thing or not. Apparently you weren't allowed the simple pleasure and priviledge of riding because you couldn't meet some pretty tough rules in Japan. It would seem to me that riding a bike has nothing to do with whether you can speak Japanese and Kanji, but those in power to make that rule did.

Comment

The fact is that whenever anyone legally enters any country, his or her passport is stamped by the authorities of that country. That stamp proves that the person has entered the country legally. Of course, there are those who by-pass that process because of being a member of an airline crew (or something similar) – but, in such cases, the police and other officials are aware of those policies and an identification showing your employer would suffice. Each time I travel to another country my passport is stamped. I would expect that anyone entering the US legally would have the same experience.

And if you still aren't convinced ... try this link ... http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/8/12/II/VII/1304

Originally posted by Deadstick
                  We don't seem to have much tolerance in America for other cultures.

Well – two things … one – what kind of tolerant attitude should be exhibited toward someone in this country who is from another culture? Have you forgotten the US motto? E Pluribus Unum is Latin that means “from many – one.” That doesn’t mean “from many – many.” And, two … such a broad comment may be a bit “over the top” in that almost every US citizen is a descendant of persons not originally citizens of this country. Of course I acknowledge that it really too bad that some take little care in extending civil courtesies to those who visit here – and I imagine if their superiors were to see the level of rudeness that is often exhibited, those persons would be corrected.
                  AirRabbit

Comment

Working...
                  X