World Cup 2010 in South Africa !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seahawk View Post
    Yes, from all possible opponents the Dutch and the Spanish are 2 countries I could easily go and celebrate theri victory over Germany with.

Is their a english word for "fremdschämen"?
    It's not a German word I've come across before Stefan but, of course, German being German it can often be deduced.

If I understand the German context correctly, I can't think of a particular word or phrase that we would use in English although we would probably say something like "you / he's / she's making me cringe (with embarassment etc.)" or simply "you're a disgrace" to the person in question.

My daughter's peergroup (18+) do have the word "cringeworthy" but that's more colloquial.

Does that make sense?

Paul

ps... for some reason I'm reminded of the saying: "Dummheit und Stolz wachsen auf dem gleichen Holz"
    Last edited by HB-IHC; 2010-07-05, 20:16.

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

• "Dickhead" makes more sense.
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
        "Dickhead" makes more sense.
        ... is there a German word for that?... oh yes, it must be "Peniskopf"

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

• As a dutchman I would be a liitle but very little disappointed if Germany wins the worldcup if they met the Dutch in the final.Maybe its just a matter of thinking its only a game and nothing more than a game and sure not a matter of life and death.And I can be very fanatic with a son of 14 playing soccer too but always in mind its just a simple game and nothing more.
          In my opinion Germany had lets us see the most attractive soccer during this worldcup, very much more than renomated teams as Brasil and Argentina. Maybe Holland has to play its best game yet, we shall see.
          Only thing I know ,leaving for the Caribbean this weekend, if we get a final between Uruguay and Spain I'll just be relaxing on the beach during the final. None of the two are teams I really liked seeing playing during last weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cairns65 View Post
            We are marching on !
            Nobody will stop us , neither Spain or Holland !

The 4th star for giants Germany !!!!!!

Well, history seems to suggest that Germany does win the Cup every (roughly) twenty years, so you may have a point...

Comment

• Originally posted by Curtis Malone View Post
              Well, history seems to suggest that Germany does win the Cup every (roughly) twenty years, so you may have a point...
              Well Curtis, you DO have a well known point there, but I don't think that's the thrust of the original "argument"
              Last edited by HB-IHC; 2010-07-06, 08:21.

Comment

• Originally posted by DAIRD View Post
                fuehrious cairns - we don't want to rule the world. Its only fussball - nothing else. And if Spain or the Netherland should - in your words - stop us, I still will go on visiting Spain or The Netherlands in my holidays, while you apparently hide yourself in your cosy little bunkerr until the next soccer-war will start.
                Oh come on ! Nobody said that we will rule the world.

You never ever suffered with our team infront of the TV watching them loosing a final , did ya ??? But i did , a lot of times !!!!!

U can travel to Holland and Spain , did i say something against it ????

U talk about soccer war , u didn`t understand anything about the game....

I played football ( ! not soccer ) all my life. I love this sport , can not explain why..........

Don`t bore me with words like war or your trips to Holland or Spain........

2 years ago the Spanish side won the Euro 2008 because they deserved to win ( 1-0 against us )

COME BACK AS HEROES AND MAKE US HEROES TOO !!!!! www.dfb.de

Comment

• well done holland,well deserved
                  August 29th will be the worst day of the year.

Comment

• ...and a goal from a distance of circa 120ft straight into the box.... cool

get FRA spotting informations here:
                    www.Frankfurt-Aviation-Friends.eu

Comment

• goodbye germany !!!

Comment

• Let us welcome the German National Soccer team to the next World cup match, which takes place on Saturday.

And congratulations to Spain.
                        The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
                        The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                        And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                        This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

• Originally posted by United.AirlinesLover View Post
                          goodbye germany !!!
                          Is this your way to welcome the 3rd best soccer team in the world to our next match?

Comment

• GOOOO NETHERLANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A portuguese photojournalist living in Brazil.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jose Luis Silva View Post
                              GOOOO NETHERLANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not. Do you have another Netherlands flag?

Comment

• Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
                                Is this your way to welcome the 3rd best soccer team in the world to our next match?
                                Or maybe 4th best.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                                --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Working...
                                X