What do the FIFA Photographers use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do the FIFA Photographers use?

What do they use? I bet they use some 1D's and 100-400mm lenses? What do you guys think? What would be good for this sort of thing?
    Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

The Canon 100-400 would be near useless in sports photography because it doesn't have a wide enough aperture to cope with the high shutter speeds required. Typically a shutter speed of 1/500th is required so in overcast conditions or for night games you need a body with a high ISO performance and a lens with a minimum aperture of around F2.8, a 300mm prime and a 70-200 F2.8 usually do the trick.
    My gallery of transport and travel pictures.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Comment

Ok, cause theyall look the same with those telephotos and they are big
      Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Comment

My brother used to shoot gymnastics on a semi pro basis and used 400 f2.8 and 600 f4 prime lenses. He would sometimes use a x2 converter on the 400. This was pre digital. I don't know which Nikons he used but they were certainly high end pro bodies, probably F1 and/or F2.
        He got a lot of images published so they must have been a good combination.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Most of the FIFA photographers have to do their work under mostly poor light conditions, so usage of tele-lenses from 300mm up with an aperture around 2.8 (or even better) makes really sense.
          At first look, "spotters standard lens 100-400mm" would be practicable, but the aperture of 5.6 applied by more 200mm would bring no good results.
          Soccer is a fast sport, so you'll need always short shutter speeds. Even in a good illuminated stadium you can get those speeds only with a large aperture and bridging the distance with a long lense. All of those photographers have minimum two bodies with large lenses in combination to cover the various quickly-changing situations.
          And those combinations are not cheap. High-class body made by Canon or Nikon, additional two or three lenses in Canon L-class or comparative Nikon class... if I would own an equipment in this quality - believe me, I never would go to any airport with it....

get FRA spotting informations here:
          www.Frankfurt-Aviation-Friends.eu

Comment

FIFA photographers do not work in the harshest and worst lighting conditions. Maybe only a handful of those photographers are working for FIFA.

Those stadiums are designed for tv. The lights are the best money can buy. The conditions in those stadiums make for great photos. Combine the best photographers, the best light, the best athletes and the best equipment and you have great photos.
            Tanner Johnson - Owner
            twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J View Post
              FIFA photographers do not work in the harshest and worst lighting conditions. Maybe only a handful of those photographers are working for FIFA.

Those stadiums are designed for tv. The lights are the best money can buy. The conditions in those stadiums make for great photos. Combine the best photographers, the best light, the best athletes and the best equipment and you have great photos.
              Best equipment and most appropriate equipment can be very different things. Of course the lighting's generally good in stadiums but it doesn't change the fact a 100-400 isn't at all the most appropriate lens for shooting football or similar fast-paced sports. Fast primes are, which is why the vast majority of people shooting sports professionally use things like 300mm f/2.8's.
              Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Seen a lot of 300mm lenses on TV.

Yash

Comment

Yes, I am aware that the professional's aren't using that lens. They would get laughed at if they showed up with one.

With the higher ISO cameras the f2.8 primes aren't becoming the only thing on the sidelines anymore but they'll always be there because frankly, they're the best of the best in glass.
                  Tanner Johnson - Owner
                  twenty53 Photography

Comment

man,the off topic forums have really died the past few days.....
                    August 29th will be the worst day of the year.

Comment

Working...
                    X