EU court throws out war crime against Bush and Sharon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EU court throws out war crime against Bush and Sharon

CBC's Newsticker last night was running a news saying Brussels (Belgium) has throw out war crime accusation against Bush and Sharon.

Sounds interesting
    Airline Route News
    Airline Route Map Drawings

I'm sure they will both sleep better now....

Comment

About TIME!!!
      Click & Help

ONE

Comment

I remember doing a paper for my International Law class back in college on Belgium's universal jurisdiction law. It is a ridiculously impractical law and did nothing more than allow radicals to launch frivilous law suits against people who every man and their dog would realise would never face trial on those charges. I think it is a wise move that Belgium amended the law to limit it to cases where only Belgian citizens or legal permanent residents are affected.

That said, the one success of the universal jurisdiction law was the prosecution and conviction of two Roman Catholic nuns and two Hutu militants from Rwanda. The nuns gave shelter to 7,000 Tutsi refugees in their convent in the town of Sovu, but meanwhile, both informed Hutu militia that the Tutsis were seeking refuge in their convent, and then allowed the Hutu militia to go to the convent and slaughter almost all of the Tutsi refugees, mainly through burning the place down with everyone locked inside. As far as I can remember, the four are serving 15-year prison sentances in Belgian prisons.

So the law isn't ALL bad, but it is still in many ways an impractical law.
        AIRIGAMI.NET
        http://www.airigami.net - The next generation of paper airliner modeling.

Comment

Let's see..........15 years in jail for killing almost 7000 people and that is called justice?

Great law, smart people.....

Comment

Originally posted by JeffinDEN
            Let's see..........15 years in jail for killing almost 7000 people and that is called justice?

Great law, smart people.....
            Yeah, good one, Jeff.

Yes, I agree, 15 years in prison is pretty lame for aiding in the slaughter of 7,000 refugees. But if it weren't for that "great law" they would still be free in Rwanda, probably destined never to face trial. Yes, it was a light sentance, but better a light punishment than none at all.
            AIRIGAMI.NET
            http://www.airigami.net - The next generation of paper airliner modeling.

Comment

An example of the EU court taking some action for human rights, rather than muscling in because their oil is at threat...
              I walked across an empty land
              I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
              I felt the earth beneath my feet
              Sat by the river and it made me complete

Comment

Originally posted by Airigami
                but better a light punishment than none at all.
                Absolutely rediculous.... that punishment amounts to nothing more then a slap in the face to the families of those 7,000 mudered people.

Originally posted by Katamarino
                An example of the EU court taking some action for human rights, rather than muscling in because their oil is at threat...
                Um, sure girly...an excellent example

Someone always has to bring up oil........

Comment

And someone has no knowledge of how to make a point without using roundabout sarcasm

Sexist, Racist, you ARE a lovely chap.

Comment

Oh, I have plenty, I just prefer using roundabout sarcasm .

Comment

I pity your son trying to discuss anything with you Would suck to have daddy being sarcastic and insulting everytime you tried to say something!

Comment

That is just on here and because I am typing. Relax. That is not the way I am in person. It is just something about the perceived attitudes from some members on here that makes me respond the way I do. nothing more, nothing less.

..plus having all of these silly little round heads on the left to choose from does not help...

sorry if your offended.

Comment

It just gets to me that you seem to have no respect for anyone you 'debate' with on here. Everything you don't agree with 100% gets some sarky remark and is dismissed as being from some 'silly girl' or the like. Just not a terribly nice way to treat people...

But hey it's only the internet

Comment

I think you got the header wrong. Was this change of law decided by the EU or by Belgium? I believe this was a purely Belgian law and that the EU had nothing to do with it. The title should probably be "Belgian court throws..."

Anyway, back to subject. I think it is a good thing that the law was changed. The makers had some very good intentions, regrettably the law was highjacked by people with hidden agendas (anti Sharon, anti Bush, we all know the guys and agendas).

Treating crimes like these should be dealed with by a impartial organisation. Most importantly, there should be a tough set of criteria before accepting a case! Who files it, why it is filed etc. This to prevent the wackos that made the Belgian system impossible.

Despite all its flaws, the UN would be the best organization to do that. They already do this with a number of courts, each set up for a particular conflict. For instance the Joegoslavia war crimes court in The Hague.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
                            Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

"...But hey it's only the internet .."

True, don't let it get your panties in a wad! Wait, is this the "thong / G-string" post? :P

Never mind....don't take me so seriously. You know better then that.

Comment

Working...
                              X