Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Piloting Fun?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is Piloting Fun?

    Often wondered if flying professionally is fun. There must be something there, because this site, like other aviation sites, is packed with lay persons like myself, who are fascinated to engage in aviation discussions. Other professions, whilst they might have websites, lack the lay presence which aviation attracts. I would not engage enthusiastically in engineering discussions or IT discusssions, not because I lack the professional knowledge to do so (ignorance never stopped me blathering on this site) but because to my mind and clearly to the minds of many others, those sites lack the glamour, adventure and drama of aviation. There is also the perceived (but untrue) dicing-with-death image association - the Biggles factor.

    However, over the past few months, I have developed the theory that piloting is as much concerned with Number as, perhaps, accountancy and far from being glamorous adventure, it is largely routine procedure with an overlay of extra watchfulness -maybe like riding a motorcycle requires.

    What is it that attracts people into aviation? Is it the good pension and the duty-free booze, the gorgeous uniform, the authority, the effortless control, via state-of-the-art technology, over the destiny and direction of sometimes hundreds of people? Or is it just a job a person gets into like people get into teaching, lorry-driving, medicine, policing, eningineering etc and does it, like all of those, ultimately consist of job-focus and routine? Is there a St Euxpery factor, where sunset over the clouds seeems to hint at something not found in accountancy?

  • #2
    Its never been the same since ATFS left.......
    August 29th will be the worst day of the year.

    Comment


    • #3
      Indeed, this place isn't as full of facts with him gone.

      Comment


      • #4
        No, I have it on very good authority that MCM, Air Rabbit, Wilco 737, Gabriel, InTheShade and AJ are all masochists and enjoy the daily torture. I've even heard that ITS has had his seat replaced by one of these indian swarmi nail beds.

        The only pilot incapable of enjoying flying is ATFS Crash - but then again he is incapable of any fun.

        Comment


        • #5
          What you guys need......is a bubble bath =/

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SYDCBRWOD View Post
            No, I have it on very good authority that MCM, Air Rabbit, Wilco 737, Gabriel, InTheShade and AJ are all masochists and enjoy the daily torture. I've even heard that ITS has had his seat replaced by one of these indian swarmi nail beds.

            The only pilot incapable of enjoying flying is ATFS Crash - but then again he is incapable of any fun.
            Thank you for admitting flying is fun, Mr SYDCBRWOD; please tell me a little more about Mr AFTS Crash and how or why a bubble bath might assist. I once had a bubble bath with a girl called Samantha and it was very assisting, but of course it didn't help me understand why flying is fun. I'm sure Samantha would have assisted Mr AFTS Crash although, if he was set against fun, it might not have assisted with his flying. Perhaps he might not have allowed samantha. Why has he departed, please? I understand Mr AJ is a Moderator on this site, is it wise to make personal comments about his sadomasochisitic practices?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SYDCBRWOD View Post
              No, I have it on very good authority that MCM, Air Rabbit, Wilco 737, Gabriel, InTheShade and AJ are all masochists and enjoy the daily torture.
              Masochist... Nice way of saying it

              Well, I like my job and I cannot think of any other job which would perfectly fit for me.
              The job has a lot of disadvantages as well. NOt everything is great. You are away from home, bad sleeping habits, working at night etc etc.
              But nevertheless, I am looking forward to my RTW trip starting tomorrow. And I like visiting the coutries and flying an airplane is cool as well. Well, to be honest not the time where you babysit the autopilot. It is just obersving and waiting. But handflying or flying a nice approach, doing a safe landing, these are the things I do like a lot. Oh and taking pictures

              wilco737

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jingogunner View Post
                Thank you for admitting flying is fun, Mr SYDCBRWOD; please tell me a little more about Mr AFTS Crash and how or why a bubble bath might assist. I once had a bubble bath with a girl called Samantha and it was very assisting, but of course it didn't help me understand why flying is fun. I'm sure Samantha would have assisted Mr AFTS Crash although, if he was set against fun, it might not have assisted with his flying. Perhaps he might not have allowed samantha. Why has he departed, please? I understand Mr AJ is a Moderator on this site, is it wise to make personal comments about his sadomasochisitic practices?
                Mr Jingo, ATFS crash was an irrascible right wing fundamentalist with a hatred of anything that could be described as fun, and an unquenchable belief that anything he uttered was absolutely correct. ATFS Crash could have been invited to a spa bath with the entire naked cast of the 2010 Ms Universe contestants and may still have found reasons to lecture them on morality and politics. I say 'may' because he may have believed that it would have been unhygenic to have so many people in the one bath and may not have participated....

                ATFS has vanished because far from his 'conversations' (and I use that term advisedly) being stimulating informative and throughly entertaining, and far from his self belief that people were admiring his vast intellect and wisdom, the reality was vast majority just pointed out he was a blathering fool. After having the odd medical professional point out that he needed psychiatric help as well as virtually everybody else he abused telling him to rack off, he seems to have finally taken their advice. At one point he made mention that he was a glider or aerobatic pilot (doing the 'bam bam' wasn't it?) - I tossed him in with the other professional pilots mentioned as a joke.

                I get to have a shot at AJ, because he is my gimp at the Wodonga West chapter of the Hellfire Club. Oh, you should hear him crying: "Whip me and beat me and call me Consuela!" (Who knew he truly wishes to be a mexican woman?) Wilco 737 gets to be the doormat I stand on in my stilletto's whilst I whip AJ and MCM...

                Putting my serious face on, I would give my left gonad to do what these guys do and get paid to do it. I'm sure that not every day is all beer and skittles, but it would sure beat the hell out of 98% of the other jobs here on earth.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SYDCBRWOD View Post
                  Mr Jingo, ATFS crash was an irrascible right wing fundamentalist with a hatred of anything that could be described as fun, and an unquenchable belief that anything he uttered was absolutely correct.
                  Dont forget that everyone that supported Obama was a facist stormtrooper!
                  August 29th will be the worst day of the year.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by WILCO737 View Post
                    Masochist... Nice way of saying it

                    Well, I like my job and I cannot think of any other job which would perfectly fit for me.
                    The job has a lot of disadvantages as well. NOt everything is great. You are away from home, bad sleeping habits, working at night etc etc.
                    But nevertheless, I am looking forward to my RTW trip starting tomorrow. And I like visiting the coutries and flying an airplane is cool as well. Well, to be honest not the time where you babysit the autopilot. It is just obersving and waiting. But handflying or flying a nice approach, doing a safe landing, these are the things I do like a lot. Oh and taking pictures

                    wilco737
                    Yes but do we really see the disadvantages? I like night work, not everybody has a personal favour in night work, but I just imagine a touchdown with UPS 747 at EDDK in a few minutes, and suddenly everything is good. Maybe I should mention our local time:
                    EDDL 04:09 am local.
                    1 flight is really 1 privlege.
                    That's what airlines are good for, amongst others,
                    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                    Aviation enthusiast, since more than 35 years with home airport EDDL.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thank you for admitting flying is fun, Mr SYDCBRWOD; please tell me a little more about Mr AFTS Crash and how or why a bubble bath might assist. I once had a bubble bath with a girl called Samantha and it was very assisting, but of course it didn't help me understand why flying is fun. I'm sure Samantha would have assisted Mr AFTS Crash although, if he was set against fun, it might not have assisted with his flying. Perhaps he might not have allowed samantha. Why has he departed, please? I understand Mr AJ is a Moderator on this site, is it wise to make personal comments about his sadomasochisitic practices?
                      Thanks for wasting 30 seconds of my life

                      In that 30 seconds i could have made a coffee !

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Heard this from a Corporate Captain...

                        "My job is a job, but my career is amazing."
                        Tanner Johnson - Owner
                        twenty53 Photography

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Piloting isn't just fun, its badass. But when you say piloting I picture myself in a 172 buzzing tractors in Indiana and flying through dust devils...not that I would ever do or have ever done either of those things...ever. When you talk about monitoring auto-pilot in cruise for 16 hours, I think of it as a job. An awesome job, but still a job. Hand flying an airplane VFR is always fun, in fact I just uploaded some shots to the database I took last time I flew. Nothing like flying over SFO, downtown SF, and the Golden Gate bridge all in a 10 minute period!
                          sigpic
                          http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Oh and ATFS crash got banned?! Slap on the wrist ban or permabanned?

                            Did the guy EVER make a post about airplanes other than the whole "If it ain't Boeing, you're a Nazi!" thing?
                            sigpic
                            http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Looks like he's still a member to me.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X