Not a nice way to wake up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a nice way to wake up.

7.2 quake based about 10km from my house at 4:30ish in the morning, totally not cool!
    Sam Rudge
    A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Not that anyone seems to care, but some photos from yesterday,

Sam Rudge

Comment

Great photos! Thanks! I'll be amazed if it stands that no one was killed and serious injuries stay as low as reported so far. What an ordeal, and you never have any idea it's coming. I lived in San Diego for 30 years and went through a couple of dozen dancers. I live in Memphis now and we could have a Christchurch of our own in front of us.

Comment

Why do the big ones usually happen early in the AM local? Just too weird. As of now, I have not heard of any fatalities...that's good news. Insurance can cover damages, but not resurrect a life. Glad you are safe and well...

Comment

Brings a whole new meaning to "did the earth move for you darling ?"

Stay safe.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Simpleboy, we all care. We all hope for the best outcome for all of our bros and sisses in NZ. It seems you all had a bit of well deserved luck and were better prepared than most for such an event. Our thoughts are with you. No matter what, it's a tough time for all NZers. Best to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadstick View Post
              Simpleboy, we all care. We all hope for the best outcome for all of our bros and sisses in NZ. It seems you all had a bit of well deserved luck and were better prepared than most for such an event. Our thoughts are with you. No matter what, it's a tough time for all NZers. Best to you.
              Sorry, wasnt trying to emply that people didnt care, its just we had posting on ATFS dribble in that time while nothing happened on this thread.

Ive been out and about a bit more, the damage in some parts of the city is just unreal, public buildings are closed for a while, uni is shut for a week while its inspected. Parts of the city still have no power or water, and apparently sewage is likely to get in the drinking water right now. Some of the roads have been lifted or dropped by .5-1m in parts and i cant walk a block in any direction from my place without finding houses with parts missing or roofs or such partially collapsed.

We're expecting gale force winds tonight up to 130kmph which will be interesting. we had a nor west wind tonight so planes were flying in over the city, normally not a problem, but the rumble you hear from the jet engines is fairly similar to what you hear with all the aftershocks! Fairly unnerving especially since we're being told an aftershock of magnitude 6.0 could occur.
              Sam Rudge

Comment

Living in earthquake central, I can attest that the event is quite rattling. The last we had, i thought a bloody bus crashed into our garage, and then proceeded to come into the den. These things ain't fun, but again, glad you are safe, and continue to keep us up to date.

Comment

I've experienced 2 tremors whilst I've lived in Sheffield(15yrs). They were nothing on the scale of a 7 but still very scary to go through when you're not expecting it. I was sure a bus was coming down the hill outside my house at the time and was about to crash through the wall. The roar just got louder and louder and then the house started shaking. A few seconds later it was all over.

Glad to hear you're all ok though.

Comment

Simpleboy,

What areas were worst affected? A friend of mine was in Auckland and told me that they felt smaller tremors there, but he said that the Government was sending as much aide to Christchurch as possible. How are people coping? Are the highways and airports in operation? How are things at the moment? Have you guys felt the 6.0 aftershock that you guys were bracing for? Apart from that, does NZ prepare for earthquakes of this magnitude? Does the Government mandate that buildings be built to withstand them (as is done in California), or is this (the occurrence of an earthquake) completely unexpected?
                    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

An event like this takes a lot of time for recovery. I was living in New Orleans for Katrina, and I still haven't fully recovered emotionally. I'm just amazed no one was killed and the injuries are so limited.

Comment

I've been in a bunch of cyclones and was in the "Canberra Fires" - I'm sure you know what i mean when i say that at times like that, you realise just how impotent the great human being really is. One feels totally powerless, and the police and other levels of order are no where to be seen! So its man against the elements just like our forefathers...And the stress lasts a long time after the event.
                        Australia is LUCKY that it just skims the "Rim of Fire" (you have to say that in a deep voice) - All our neighbours cop it though. I'm sparing a thought for you kiwis, rest assured Aussie will be there the moment you ask.
                        I thought for the Pakinstanis and the Victorians at the moment too...both are getting wet.

Comment

Hey guys,

Been out and about a bit sometimes with the camera, sometimes without. Town has now been pretty much sealled off, one of the big buildings in town may collapse. The army has been brought in to assist with keeping people out. Near the beach, the roads are pretty badly cracked and mud is just being forced through them with water, its kinda weird and surreal at the same time.

Got some more photos

Alex,

Christchurch and nearby towns are by far the worst effected, though ive heard reports of damage in both Nelson and Dunedin, 150 and 200 miles away respectively.
                          Theres a good map on wiki which ive stolen and is below which shows how bad the quake felt in diff locations.

Nelson is north of Blenheim but in the centre of the island and Dunedin is on the east coast just below where the map is cut off.

Many large local buildings have been converted to shelters, and apparently there its pretty bad, ive heard figures that up to 20% of homes here will have to be destroyed and rebuilt. AS for building codes and such, NZ is pretty well prepared for earthquakes, and our universities do a lot of research into the way earthquakes effect buildings and such. Most of the buildings damaged are older buildings. The geology department at uni believes there are over 100 fault lines running through canterbury alone, so for earthquakes we are reasonably protected. NZ has about 14000 earthquakes a year, however, noly about 200 get felt and only about 10 do any damage most of which is knocking down powerlines, this is the worst earthquake damage wise since 1931.

We've had a 5.0 aftershock and quite a few above 4.5, but at the moment, it seems pretty calm.

As for aid, im sure we will need it, but at the moment we're just trying to figure out if buildings will collapse, getting the waste water system up and running again, and restoring power and water to the last of the homes.

Hope ive addressed everything.
                          Sam Rudge

Comment

How is the population in general behaving? Are there looters? Are poeple generally trying to help each other? Is the spirit and mood good? Are there plenty of supplies of food, water and medicines?

Comment

In general, people are pretty good. Immediately afterwards there were reports of looting in town, but now that the police and army are here i havent heard any reports.

One dairy (corner store) opened early and discounted all of this essentials and was giving stuff like batteries away for free, so yeah, its bringing out the best and worst in people.

Water is pretty good, though some parts have been confirmed its been contaminated, power is back on to pretty much everywhere in town, some rural areas may still be down though. I know many people who are staying outside their homes at friends places etc due to damage at theirs.

For people who dont use the central business district, its almost possible to live life as if the earthquake never happened, its just many busineses are shut.

Water is being ferryed in by rail and truck from down south and taken to the worst hit areas. Im not aware of any huge shortages at the moment.
                              Sam Rudge

Comment

Working...
                              X