What river (in Canada) is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What river (in Canada) is this?

My parents flew on 23-07-2010 - AMS/YVR KL681.
    Flightplan was: N0470F180 BERGI L602 SUPUR/N0486F320 UP1 ROLUM UP13 ASKAM UL7 CUTEL UM84 ADN UN591 STN/N0481F340 UN610 BARKU/M083F340 UN610 RATSU/M083F340 DCT 63N020W 65N030W 66N040W 67N050W/M083F360 68N060W DCT CANEL NCAC 6130N10000W/M083F380 NCAC CANIG/N0477F380 NCAC YMM DCT 5330N11500W DCT YNY J508 BOOTH STAVE5

Departure time AMS: 18:00 CEST.

My mother took a picture of this river (01:11 CEST), does anyone know which one this is? And perhaps provide me with a Google Maps link?

Thanks in advance!
    My Travels across the globe
    Pictures I am proud of

This is just what I am estimating, but judging from the route and the time your mother took the photo the river runs off of Livingston Lake. I was not able to get the name of the river as it is quite small. There are a lot of rivers and lakes in Northern Saskatchewan.

The rough coordinates are:

58.690067,-107.058506

She was flying between YSF and DUROT at FL380.

Nehal

Comment

Wow Nehal!
      I honestly thought this was a very very very long shot to figure out what river this was! But you nailed it!
      Thanks a million!

I'm curious though how exactly you managed nailed it.

(I told my mother to bring my GPS logger so she (I) could geotag the photos once she was home, but she didn't want to, next time I think she will think twice).
      Pictures I am proud of

Comment

Originally posted by Derice View Post
        Wow Nehal!
        I honestly thought this was a very very very long shot to figure out what river this was! But you nailed it!
        Thanks a million!

I'm curious though how exactly you managed nailed it.

(I told my mother to bring my GPS logger so she (I) could geotag the photos once she was home, but she didn't want to, next time I think she will think twice).
        It wasn't too difficult. You provided lots of information so that helped. I basically found the log from Flight Aware and got a rough coordinate area from that.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/K.../CYVR/tracklog

I then used a route parser to see if it matched up with what the coordinates said. It did require a bit of looking , northern Saskatchewan has lots of tiny lakes and rivers .

A GPS is a great tool for when you are flying. I remember spending quite a bit of time trying to find out where we were when I took this photo.

Nehal

Comment

Thanks!
          What route parser did you use?
          Pictures I am proud of

Comment

I used Simroutes.

http://www.simroutes.com/fb2/ParseRoute.aspx

Nehal

Comment

Thanks!