Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by C-FITL View Post
    Apparently programs exist that remove watermarks automaticly
    Some photographers don't watermarks their photos, put them on a website that you can't right click and copy, but you can just use a snipping tool or ctrl + prnt screen so you can take it away. There's just no justice in this world for someone's work.
    I guess one of my points was it is photography for work or fun? When it ceases to be fun, what's the point?...unless you are planning on becoming a professional photographer. I am guessing the success rate of becoming a professional photographer is pretty low, but dreams are good to have. I put lots of photos on we web page (no watermarks). Some people ask permission to use them (and I say yes, but please reference me). Some might steal them. Unless I catch something important on camera, like when Julian Assange final has his 'accident', then what do I care?

Anyway, I am sorry to sidetrack the main issue - you have some good talent for the photography IMVHO.

leo

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      But PMN said it should be difficult to remove. If not, he could have put the watermark in another opposite corner, in the airplane photo in a corner in the sky, not across the landing gear

I guess (and again, I really don't know what I am talking about) that the idea is to make it difficult to post a photo without giving credit to its owner even if you don't know the original. Otherwise, PMN's snowy landscape or your water drop don't need a watermark at all (you could put the copiright note for example on a black strip below the image). Anybody who know the original would know at first sight of a copy that it's your photo, even if the black strip is removed.
      The problem is, as I mentioned before, the only way to totally avoid image theft is to never post anything on the internet or anywhere else. In that case what's the point in owning a camera in the first place? You're absolutely correct, my watermarks are easy to crop out, but having such a watermark is a choice I make because I still want people to be able to appreciate the image the way I intended it to be viewed when I pressed the shutter release. As Jan says, to be honest if someone did crop it out then it really wouldn't take much effort to prove it's mine as it will still match the original RAW file I have here perfectly to the pixel. It's personal choice at the end of the day, but to me it really is as clear cut as watermark subtly and preserve the integrity of your image or completely remove the risk of theft and either destroy the image or never let it see the light of day. The first option is the one I prefer personally.

Originally posted by leon View Post
      I guess one of my points was it is photography for work or fun? When it ceases to be fun, what's the point?
      I think we're getting into a perspective argument there that's largely meaningless to be honest. I've never earned a penny from photography but I still see it as work simply because I've spent thousands and thousands of hours working methodically with cameras and editing software to figure out how to get the best out of them. The fact I haven't earned any money from it doesn't mean I haven't worked for what I know now; I've worked extremely hard for it. I refer to my images as my work, but using that word doesn't automatically mean I don't enjoy it. Music has been my job for 14 years, and 1000+ concerts later it's still also my hobby and something I love deeply.
      Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Working...
      X