Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simpleboy
    replied

Basically, a power surge caused some explosions and prevented the ability to call the reaction and slow it down. Parts of the plant caught fire spreading radiation all over parts of Europe.

Im assuming you've played Call of Duty 4, Modern Warfare, The level All Ghillied up is set in Pripyat which was entirely abandoned due to the radiation from the disaster.

According to

This event isnt rated as bad as the three mile island incident in the US, however, with future aftershocks and such you never really know.

Leave a comment:

• BoeingKing77
    replied
    What happened at Chernobyl?

Leave a comment:

• B757300
    replied
    Originally posted by ATFS_Crash
    I sure would like to know more about the design of these reactors and other support system. Don’t they have redundant on-site backup generators and cooling system?
    The reactor that is giving them the most trouble is a 40 year old design. Probably not all that dissimilar from the one at Three Mile Island. (I used TMI as an example simply because it is well known.) The problem with the reactor is not a design issue, but a loss of all the safety systems.

As for backup, the diesel generators that were supposed to power the cooling pumps were knocked out by the tsunami. This is what started the real problem as they lost the ability to cool the reactors, and even after an emergency SCRAM, the things stay very hot and require continual cooling.

Oddly enough, the troublesome reactor was scheduled for decommissioning very soon due to its age.

If I hear one more idiot say we're heading for "another Chernobyl," I am going to lose it. A Chernobyl event CANNOT happen at these types of power plants, they are of completely different designs. You cannot have a run away thermal event like they did at Chernobyl. The RBMK reactors had serious design deficiencies and this allowed Reactor #4 at Chernobyl to go boom, due to the operators screwing around with it in ways they should never have attempted.

And a "meltdown" has really become a catchall term for almost any type of event at a nuclear power plant. The real, simplified definition is when some or all of the reactor's core melts. It does not mean it burns through the containment structure or through the Earth to the other side (Which BTW is impossible, despite the idiot movie), although in theory it could breech the containment structure. Three Mile Island suffered a meltdown, but the system worked as designed and contained the nuclear material.

CNN, Fox, MSNBC, Drudge, etc. are doing their best to make it sound like it is Chernobyl x1000, and that is irresponsible journalism to the extreme.

Leave a comment:

• bradhig
    replied
    There is footage of ceiling tiles falling inside an airport I don't know if it was the same one that got flooded.

Leave a comment:

• Simpleboy
    replied
    What really gets to me about this is stories like the following

I have little doubt in my mind that had this earthquake appeared on land, this tale would read a lot more pleasantly.

Leave a comment:

• eTang
    replied
    Originally posted by DAIRD View Post
    Where have the planes been, when the flood came? I've seen no aircraft, only docks and a lot of water rushing in.
    I asked my self the same question.

Here's a video of the actual flooding moments:
    Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

Leave a comment:

• DAIRD
    replied
    Where have the planes been, when the flood came? I've seen no aircraft, only docks and a lot of water rushing in.

Leave a comment:

• eTang
    replied
    Sendai Airport flooded by the Tsunami after the Earth Quake

Sendai Airport flooded by the Tsunami after the Earth Quake:

picture:
    Deutschlands führende Nachrichtenseite. Alles Wichtige aus Politik, Wirtschaft, Sport, Kultur, Wissenschaft, Technik und mehr.

All the best to the victims in all the region!

Leave a comment:

• Simpleboy
    started a topic Earthquake in Japan

Earthquake in Japan

Times of India brings the Latest & Top Breaking News on Politics and Current Affairs in India & around the World, Cricket, Sports, Business, Bollywood News and Entertainment, Science, Technology, Health & Fitness news & opinions from leading columnists.

We've seen some shocking videos of buildings being swept away by the tsunami. I cant imagine how bad it must be there knowing it was so much worse than the 7.1 and 6.3 we've had the fun of experiencing.

My thoughts go out to all those affected by this.
Working...
X