Earthquake in Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by philip View Post
    I don't intend to be offensive but the results of the quake you mention are really not newsworthy. Who cares about LH not flying to Narita at the moment or what German employees do in Japan given the current (nuclear) situation. This topic is not about German issues.
    Do you think from now until midnight or don't you?

This topic is not about Austrian issues. AND this topic is not the place for you to be jealous. LH flights are not only for Japanese. And not only for Austrians.

You better stop posting if you are not able to think international.
    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

See, thats why I wrote it is not intended to be offensive. Obviously you overread this sentence.
      There are many more disturbing results of the quake than LH stopping flights and German employees' situation. In my opinion it is not the most important and interesting news at this time bearing in mind how this desaster is developing. One could think it is a little ridiculing to only mention two points which affect German citizens - talk about thinking international

Besides that I agree with you, this topic also is not about Austrians but I fail to see where I made such a claim or what I should be jealous of. (?)
      Last edited by philip; 2011-03-15, 22:05.
      greetings,
      Philip

Comment

Originally posted by ATFS_Crash
        Plutonium reactor thought to be breached.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haBovPouOU8
        The bozo who named that video needs to be beat down. The very crap I was talking about earlier.

Just like yesterday the headline was that they have "lost" the reactors because they are too damaged to be fixed.

The reactors were "lost" the minute they began pumping in sea water. Regardless of what happens later, it would have to be completely removed and rebuilt to ever be operational again. Anything else other than pure water will damage a nuclear reactor, and the more contaminated the water, the worse the damage.

If they lost primary containment, which is only speculation at this point, the secondary containment has system did its job and will keep the damaged fuel in place. Once it has solidified, it can be removed. Reactors have melted down before, and been successfully decommissioned afterwards, with the sites cleaned up. These concrete domes are built to withstand a full steam detonation within the reactor and contain it, and the floor is up to 24 feet thick.

Take a pot of boiling water, then turn the fire off. It takes a while to cool off. Now take that same pot of boiling water and poor it onto the floor. It will cool very quickly as it is spread out over a very wide area. The exact same principle applies to nuclear fuel.

Also, all it would take is a small crack in the vessel allow water to escape, and that could be as much of a breech as has occurred. Unless these talking head experts, many of whom are actually anti-nuclear activists who have no expertise in the field of nuclear engineering/physics, have actually gone inside to take a look, they really cannot say with any certainty what has happened, but make the worst case prediction and every media outlet will run with it.

If I see one more dumbass scream "Chernobyl!" or "China Syndrome!" I swear I am going to lose my dinner.

Comment

While that may be true for the mainstream media; Fox and conservative talk radio are pointing out that virtually all of the mainstream media are hysterical and making inaccurate and reckless reports. Though I think some of Fox and conservative talk radio may be discounting the nuclear threat too much.
          Actually Fox had some of the worst people on. Several from Riverkeepers, Ploughshares, Beyond Nuclear, etc., all very anti-nuclear group, as well as other anti-nuclear activist organizations. I saw only two nuclear engineers during the first 3 days after it became apparent there was a serious problem at the reactors. (I don't count the guy who quit GE 40 years ago, now claiming it was in protest. He has been working against nuclear power since and clearly had an ax to grind.) Only after it became clear that this could not be "another Chernobyl," much the the media's disappointment, did they start having real experts on, people who have actually worked in the nuclear power industry, not ones who spend all their time trying to shut it down.

If you look at the funding of these anti-nuclear groups which have been exploiting the tragedy in Japan, almost every single one is heavily funded by one man, George Soros.

Comment

If you want to experience the peak acceleration (0.5g) that the Japanese reactors experienced, just accelerate your car from 0 to 100 km/hr in 5.6 seconds (or just brake from 100 km/hr to 0 in 5.6 s).

That's 5 times the typical amount while driving downtown, in a bus, or in a subway.

Enough to throw you onto the floor if you're standing up.

Comment

Japan can be reached via.. jet, as I speak about me and Northern Europeans.

But black rain was not only the result of Tschernobyl, this will happen or already happens in Japan today. They suffer from a lack of healthy water.

I think, Japan is far far away, but on the other hand, it's only a nonstop flight of x hours, and maybe that's not your favourite destination for the next two weeks, if that's not a professional duty for you.
              The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
              The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
              And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
              This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Why are you picking on Fox news? Most of the other stations were much more hysterical. Fox news seem to have the most balanced coverage; they had guests that had several different opinions across a large spectrum. Which is much more than you can say for the mainstream media. It's strange that you chastise Fox, yet Fox had a broader spectrum of opinions then the mainstream media. You still never did answer my question.
                I'm not "picking" on Fox News. I am criticizing their decision to give a bunch of anti-nuclear hysterics countless hours of free airtime to spew their agenda.

Stop sticking up for Fox News because they are Fox. They are not perfect. They are simply less flawed than the rest.

Comment

Japanese Declare Crisis at Level of Chernobyl

The nuclear disaster in Japan apparently has escalated and has turned out worse than what most had thought and possibly what officials were afraid to would admit.

Apparently they weren’t able to restore cooling power in time. I’m suspicious that when they added coolant, that the sudden change in temperature may have shattered the containment.
                  Now they're over reacting instead of under reacting.

Chernobyl released at least 10 times more radiation (due to the burning graphite smoke) and probably over 100 times more and it killed or sickened dozens within hours or days of the event. Neither has happened at Fukushima.

Most of the radiation from Fukushima has been in the water rather than airborne, where as Chernobyl was spewing into the atmosphere for weeks on end.

IIRC, the higher they up the level, the more international $$$ they have access to. Level 6 is where it should be, not 7.

Comment

Why are you picking on Fox news? Most of the other stations were much more hysterical. Fox news seem to have the most balanced coverage; they had guests that had several different opinions across a large spectrum. Which is much more than you can say for the mainstream media. It's strange that you chastise Fox, yet Fox had a broader spectrum of opinions then the mainstream media. You still never did answer my question.
                    And yet Fox News probably still thinks that Obama was born in Kenya instead of Hawaii.
                    August 29th will be the worst day of the year.

Comment

Working...
                    X