VIDEOS: super racist/sexist/unhealthy commercials and shows, a look back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIDEOS: super racist/sexist/unhealthy commercials and shows, a look back

I've been YouTubing old advertisements and shows from the '50s and '60s, just for the fun of it, and am astonished at just how much acceptability standards in advertisements have changed.

I've provided two of the most drastic examples below: the first is a Flintstones advertisement for Winston cigarettes, the latter is a clip from the Looney Tunes episode "Southern Fried Rabbit," which most networks have refused to air for more than 30yrs. It makes Disney's "Song of the South" look tame by comparison.

Yes, I realize that that was the culture back then, and we're looking at history (not a modern attempt at racism/sexism), but it's still just so shocking to see. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I found it a bit funny though, lol.

What do you guys/gals think? Discuss.
    Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

I think people need to stop being offended by everything.

Just like when Cartoon Network stopped showing Speedy Gonzales, they claimed it was racist.

They didn't realize that among Hispanics, most thought Speedy was great.

Another example is censoring Huckleberry Finn by editing out or replacing dialogue and words which certain people find offensive.

Comment

Yes, I certainly agree... I feel like it's censoring history.

My perspective is more of a "OMG, look how different stuff was back then!" sorta thing... y'know?
      Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by ConcordeBoy View Post
        Yes, I certainly agree... I feel like it's censoring history.

My perspective is more of a "OMG, look how different stuff was back then!" sorta thing... y'know?
        The past cannot be changed, no matter how much some want to try and rewrite history.

Reminds me of an episode of Antiques Roadshow. A black man had some of his black face figurines, made from the late 1800s until the 1950s. It was about 2% of his entire collection, worth about $15,000 at the time.

One of the people asked him why he would collect such things that had "obvious racist overtones." His reply was perfect. "It's part of our history, good or bad, and we should not try to hide or runaway from it."

Comment

Yeah, so Bill Cosby buys up all of the Amos & Andy episodes so they can never be seen again.

Then look at the "new" crop of black humor that emerged with "JJ" and made blacks still look like fools.

I guess "humor" is people being stupid so we should ban stupid people.

How about by genetic selection? Oh, that is being Nazi.

Silly me.
          Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Even commercials from as recently as the 1980s are probably unacceptable today. I am thinking of the British Caledonian ads which were very popular at the time ("I wish they all could be Caledonian girls..."). These can also be found on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
            X