Israel attack Syria for the first time in 30 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israel attack Syria for the first time in 30 years

The United Nations Security Council is meeting in emergency session to discuss an Israeli air raid inside Syria.

Damascus demanded the meeting, warning that Israel was threatening security in the Middle East with its first attack on Syrian soil in more than 30 years.

Israeli jets targeted a "Palestinian terrorist camp" near the Syrian capital in retaliation for a devastating suicide bomb in the northern port of Haifa on Saturday, which killed 19 people.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3166388.stm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I wouldn't think it'll be a surprise if Israel gets a major terrorist attack after this.
    Airline Route News
    Airline Route Map Drawings

Way to go Israel!

Comment

Kudos to Israel for having the guts to do something like that... Next big step they should take is to get rid of Arafat...
      Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Long overdue.

If Syria doesn't want war on their soil, they ought to eliminate the reasonable targets Israel has and stand down from their clandestine war.

Let Syria withdraw from Lebanon as well.

Comment

This should be a strong warning to Syria to stop supporting terrorism. If this is what it takes to stop these extremists then so be it. Cheers for Israel!

Comment

It was an alleged terrorist training camp. As much as I agree that something has to be done about such camps, why should Israel be admired for launching an attack deep inside another sovereign nation's territories? Those are the actions that set wars off, do you admire that?

I'd honestly like to be shown proof that Syria is supporting terrorism, just because I don't know any besides George W. Bush saying so.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffinDEN
              Way to go Israel!"
              Way to go Israel for what? Wiping out terrorists or producing more terrorists???

Originally posted by aloges
              It was an alleged terrorist training camp. As much as I agree that something has to be done about such camps, why should Israel be admired for launching an attack deep inside another sovereign nation's territories? Those are the actions that set wars off, do you admire that?

I'd honestly like to be shown proof that Syria is supporting terrorism, just because I don't know any besides George W. Bush saying so.
              Yep. What should Israel go ahead on their own without UN's approval?

George Bush may be criticizing Israel, but he probably might "praise" the attack privately.

Think this way. If your neighbour assaults you in your place everyday, does that mean you have the rights to go to neighbours' house and kill him/her on your own without reporting to the police?
              Airline Route News
              Airline Route Map Drawings

Comment

The U.N.? Sure let's take a few weeks......set up a committee.... take a few more weeks.......send someone over for a "look see"....wait a few more weeks.....talk about the results.......plan another review in six months...... ask the U.S. for money to investigate the whole thing further......wait another month...have another meeting.....

"Way to go Israel for what? Wiping out terrorists .."

Absolutely. I am tired of terrorists and those who support them thinking they have "Rights" like everyone else. If that is the type of action it takes to eliminate them, then YES blow them up, make them the Martyr they want to be.

Comment

Way to go Israel for what? Wiping out terrorists or producing more terrorists???
                  The terrorists are there and will always be there. An airstrike or two isn't going to change that.

Yep. What should Israel go ahead on their own without UN's approval?
                  Yes. I find it odd that the UN can have an "emergency session" when a nation strikes a terrorist camp, but turns the other way when 19 innocent people are killed in a suicide bombing while they were trying to enjoy their lunch in peace.

George Bush may be criticizing Israel, but he probably might "praise" the attack privately.
                  Well good for Bush. I also support the attack, but thankfully I'm not in a position to worry about polls or what the majority of Americans think when I make my statements.

Think this way. If your neighbour assaults you in your place everyday, does that mean you have the rights to go to neighbours' house and kill him/her on your own without reporting to the police?
                  This analogy would be more appropriate- If your neighbors have a maching gun and are killing everyone who walks by, do you have the right to stop them before they kill other people? I say yes.
                  Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

I'm not sure that Israel responded in the best way.
                    Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Israel attacked civilian area

Syria has said Israeli forces attacked a civilian area near Damascus in a 'grave escalation' of tensions in the Middle East.

Damascus is capable of deterring Israel but will practice restraint, Syria's Foreign Minister Faruq al-Shara said in a letter to the United Nations on Sunday.

The Israelis had earlier claimed that it attacked an Islamic Jihad and Hamas training base in the Ain al-Sahab area, about 20km northwest of Damascus.

It did not say whether air or ground forces carried out the strike, but an unnamed security source was quoted as saying that it was an air attack early on Sunday.

Both the Islamic Jihad and Syrian sources have denied that the area housed a training base.

"Jihad has no combatants outside the Palestinian territories," the group's Beirut-based spokesman Abu Imad Rifai told Aljazeera.

Syrian analyst Dr Imad Shuaibi said the attack was aimed at sparking chaos in the region and send a message to Damascus that Israel was willing to take military action.

Shuaibi said the area housed refugees.

The killing of 12-year-old Muhammad al-Durra
                      by Israeli troops on 30 September 2000 was
                      seen all over the world.

Al-Durra died in his father's lap after
                      suffering multiple gunshot wounds.

The youngest Palestinian casualty of the
                      Intifada, five-month-old.

In what has become an iconic image of
                      Palestinian suffering, a woman cries amid
                      the debris of another demolished home.
                      The Israeli policy of destroying Palestinian
                      homes has been condemned by human rights
                      groups and the international community.

Now who is the Terrorist!
                      15 Nov is my Birth day! I want A340? pls dad pls mom LOL

Comment

Hahaha! Nice try! Want me to dig up some old photos of body parts scattered all over the streets of Tel Aviv from a suicide bombing? I could, you know...

CNN is showing a video of the place attacked- it is a CAVE, full of weapons, NOT a civilian area. Once again Syria is resorting to propaganda.

Now who is the Terrorist!
                        Well, I think it is clear that Israel is defending herself. The terrorist, to answer your question, is the Palestinian nutcase who decides to blow up a bus or restaraunt or shopping center...to claim that Israel is the bad guy here is a flat out lie...

Contrary to what you might think, I don't hate the Palestinians. A lot of them are good people, but its the ones that feel that they need to kill innocent people that make me mad, and it also is a kick in the teeth to all the Palestinians and Israelis who are trying to find a peaceful way to end this conflict.

Comment

Does some one always have to be right? My blood is boiling as I write this, and it's only a stupid fear of getting booted from the forum that is perventing this post from being littered with curse words in a variety of languages... There is no right or wrong in this debate. Both are wrong, both are right. There's a key word that 's slowly being taken off the dictionary these days: compromise. I am particularly mad that some of us have the ability to support either one of these countries...I am neither pro not con Isreal. NOr am I against Syria. Why does no one try to find the source of the terrorists? Unfortunatly, it boils down to religios-politics. The Middle East is an ocean of Islam with a tiny atoll of Judaism. IT is quite upsetting taht they are in perpetual war. Laugh if you want, but i think we, as humans, are too stupid to realize this.

Herpa, I am sorry to say there is no bad guy or good guy here. If you can tell me one bad thing taht Palesine has done, then I can easily counter with a bad thing Israel has done.

I'm assuming this conflict began when Israel was formed from Palestine...which itself is hostile in my eyes. But that's not to say that the Israelis don't deserve the land.

Learn to co-exist, people...for the love of God..and it doesn't matter which God....otherwise, we will be the end of us...

Comment

I guess and Israel and the U.S. feel diplomacy is not the way to go now. Nobody supports terrorists, however what was Israel and the U.S.A doing to persuade Syria to stop supporting these people?

Terrorism exists because of the cycle of poverty and the growing gap between have and have not countries. Imposing the will of the West on countries that are non-Christian will not work. Their idea of good government is different than ours.

You have to remember that the revolutionaries in the U.S.A and Israel are now now claimed to be liberators and founders. Can we now really say they were terrorists acting against the governments that were in place at the time? When the 13 colonies broke away from Britain (your new best friend) a lot of people had to leave their homes and come to the British colonies in the north to escape the persecution in the U.S.A.

Pounding the heck out of Syria and the Palestinians will not defeat the terrorists. When you have nothing to look forward to each day who cares if you blow yourself up. They all have promises of a better afterlife.

Comment

I'd like to ask a question. What choice does a suicide attack, leave you in terms of who to blame or who is responsible?

Answer: The organizations who plan them, aswell as any other individuals who are in any way affiliated with these groups.
                              Don't want to die? Tell your friends to stop blowing up innocent people. Act civilised and you'll see the wonders of living in a society that doesn't resort to barbaric acts from the stoneage to make a point.

-CB

Comment

Working...
                              X