Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saudi Arabia's best (Saudi police quash protest rally)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saudi Arabia's best (Saudi police quash protest rally)

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Saudi police quash protest rally

Police in the Saudi capital, Riyadh, have broken up a rare demonstration which was calling for political reform.
    The protest took place close to where the Saudi Government was hosting its first human rights conference.

Reports said police fired shots into the air to disperse a crowd of a few hundred people, who were led by bearded men chanting "God is great".

A number of arrests were made after what eyewitnesses describe as minor scuffles with the police.

It is not clear what the aim of the rally was, but it came after an exiled Saudi opposition group - the UK-based Movement for Islamic Reform in Arabia (MIRA) - had said it planned a sit-in against the detention of government opponents.

The official Saudi Press Agency (SPA) later described the protest as "a rally by a number of individuals" which disrupted traffic in a busy district of Riyadh.

"The police immediately dealt with this gathering in accordance with security duties and returned traffic to its normal course," SPA said.

Opposition of any kind is banned in the conservative kingdom, and experts say the incident is deeply embarrassing for the Saudi Government.

The conference - which opened on Monday - coincided with an announcement by the Saudi authorities that they would hold the first council elections. The move is being seen as the first political reform in the country.

'Important' rally

The demonstrators chose one of the most prominent skyscrapers in Riyadh - the Kingdom Centre - as the site of their protest.

Eyewitnesses say the protesters of different ages - including women - converged on the building at about 1600 local time (1500 GMT).

After anti-riot police armed with batons intervened to break up the rally, the protesters tried to regroup but were chased away.

The BBC's Roger Hardy in Riyadh says the whole thing was over in less than two hours.

Our correspondent says that one eyewitness told him that the demonstration was important because it was the first time such a thing had happened in the heart of the Saudi capital.

The eyewitness said he did not support the demonstrators, but understood their frustration over unemployment and the lack of free speech in Saudi Arabia.

However, he said that he wanted reform but of the liberal kind, not the sort of reform the bearded protestors were calling for.

'Altering perceptions'

Saudi Arabia has long been criticised by the international community for its poor record on human rights and has recently tried to made a number of steps to alter this perception.

The new criminal code forbids torture and suspects are now allowed to have a lawyer present during their questioning and trial.

Citing a desire to "widen the participation of citizens in running local affairs", Saudi authorities also announced their decision to hold council elections, through which half of future council members will be elected, state news agency SPA reported on Monday.

The desert kingdom has not had political elections at any level since its creation in 1932.

Although human rights groups have welcomed such reforms, they say that in practice the Saudi legal system is still deeply flawed.

New York-based group Human Rights Watch says thousands of people are still being held without trial, there is no free press and women are forbidden to drive.

But BBC correspondent Frank Gardner says optimists have pointed out there is some progress.

Even a few years ago, simply holding a human rights conference inside the country would have been unthinkable, our correspondent says.

A Colombian guy moved by the winds of fate to St. Louis, MO

Someone should ask about why in Saudi Arabia:
    1. Bibles are illegal
    2. There is the death penalty for anyone who coverts from Islam
    3. Churches are illegal
    4. Christians are the infidel
    5. It is perfectly acceptable for rich Saudies (who are good Muslims) to come to "infidel" countries (like the USA or Europe) to whore and drink because anything done to an infidel "does not matter"

A Colombian guy moved by the winds of fate to St. Louis, MO

Comment

Originally posted by Flying High
      Someone should ask about why in Saudi Arabia:
      1. Bibles are illegal
      2. There is the death penalty for anyone who coverts from Islam
      3. Churches are illegal
      4. Christians are the infidel
      5. It is perfectly acceptable for rich Saudies (who are good Muslims) to come to "infidel" countries (like the USA or Europe) to whore and drink because anything done to an infidel "does not matter"
      Wow I didn't know it was illegal to carry a bible in Saudi Arabia! Thank god they didn't search my bags then! I wonder what would have happened to me? My hands chopped off??? Stoned to death?

That is just so wrong. Why do they have to be so fundamental, its basically like a tyranny...tyranny by religion, and the thing is their Religion doesn't necessarily say that! Its the people who enforce it. Oh well its just plain wrong.

-Pete
      Pete Ganabathi
      Embry Riddle Aeronautical University

Fly Frontier Airlines - A Whole Different Animal

Comment

JUST LET THEM BE!!!

Why must we give a rat's ass how someone who hates our guts lives? they have to change for themselves. As for the Bible-bashing, woman-degrading Saudi Arabia? Let them rock on in their own little world! I don't care at all if the "evil" saudis keep on raping women and burning bibles! And What's wrong with a death penalty against Islam? I don't care for that must spread equality everywhere crap, since that's the way THEY are doing it.

So many countries that are sick and tired of their rulers have forced reform/independence. Just look at France, Italy, India, much of the British Empire, America, and the USSR (which collapsed again mind you). this is vey good news in my eyes. In fact, it is the best news from Saudi Arabia in a while. People are now willing to protest. The cycle has begin, ad one day, it will be completed.

Ladies and Gentlemen, congrats for being alive during the first part of Saudi Arabia's upcoming revolution.

Why is it our concern anyway? A bunch of Americans, Colombians, Europeans, and Indians? Oh yeah, one Saudi, but that's his country sitting on the time bomb...

----------------------------------------------------------------
        Also, note that I have donned my flame-retardant suit, and am ready for the flame throwers...

Comment

Why is it our concern anyway?
          Because they want to kill us...

-Clovis

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86
            Why is it our concern anyway?
            Because they want to kill us...

-Clovis
            My concern exactly.

Not for the Saudis at all, but for all the thousands of Indian citizens living and working in Saudi, what they are being put through! It must be horrible! No, I don't care what the Saudis do, I care what the do to Indians! That is my concern. I'm an Indian, and my concern is of other Indians. Come on ATLcenter, you are one too. We can't turn our back on this.

-Pete
            Pete Ganabathi
            Embry Riddle Aeronautical University

Fly Frontier Airlines - A Whole Different Animal

Comment

[quote="ATLcenter"]JUST LET THEM BE!!!

I don't care at all if the "evil" saudis keep on raping women and burning bibles!
              quote]

Mr. compassionate..........

Comment

[quote="JeffinDEN"]
                Originally posted by ATLcenter
                JUST LET THEM BE!!!

I don't care at all if the "evil" saudis keep on raping women and burning bibles!
                quote]

Mr. compassionate..........
                It's not compassion...it's just minding our own business. And also, any one wonder why the saudis ' hate' and wanna kill us? Maybe if we had just let things happen as it does, it would be OK. Theres gotta be a reaon for them to hate us, since it does not naturally come.

Furthermore on the compassion, I'm in no way compassionate to the Saudi Government. They can rot in hell/ the bad place in Islam. I'm compasionate to the people.

Im at schoo....will edit this post later...bell just rang
                Ah....high school!

Comment

A bunch of camel herders sitting on one of the worlds most prized resources.

Comment

It's not compassion...it's just minding our own business. And also, any one wonder why the saudis ' hate' and wanna kill us? Maybe if we had just let things happen as it does, it would be OK. Theres gotta be a reaon for them to hate us, since it does not naturally come.

Furthermore on the compassion, I'm in no way compassionate to the Saudi Government. They can rot in hell/ the bad place in Islam. I'm compasionate to the people.
                    O.K. so by your example, you are driving down a road and witness some people being beaten and robbed on the side of the road. I suppose you could stop and help. Nah, just mind your own business, it'll be o.k. as long as you leave them alone. You don't want that robber to hate you now ....do you?

pay attention in school....you still have a lot to learn.

Comment

Jeff,

Your statement had one flaw in it... driving down a country road and witnessing a robbery is quite different and on a larger scale than setting war and interfereing with another country's actions and people. They are two different things completly. even though it is simplified, and it is very well what I am saying, it isn't that way.

The magnitude of it is different. Somthing that affects one person is different from something that affects millions (or possibly billions) of people.

Also, even if you leave the scene, you could call the cops to handle the situation. And even if you don't do that, then the victim could override the robber, and chase him away. If that doesn't work, then the victim can go to the police, and get the guy. Or he could warn others not to replicate his actions. Let's say he got killed in it. Then the town would get a wake-up call, and the townspeople would change. If the townspeople don't change, then it will happen again and again, until the people do change, or someone finally catches the robber(s).

And Jeff, I know I have a lot to learn... that's why I'm not dropping out (optional for me now!!!) Kinda funny having the power to drop out of school entirely! Not that I will, of course!

Comment

Jeff,

Your statement had one flaw in it... driving down a country road ...
                        Never said country road, never said one person.

But your point on magnitude, just makes my point stronger...Ignoring something of that magnitude is wrong any way you look at it.

Comment

Right you are, Jeff! I suppose I'll have to stop reading Timeline (book about the middle ages) and replying to posts...

Yes, it is wrong to leave them alone if they ask for help. I know the immediate thing is, what if they cannot ask for help> What if the robber has managed to gag all the people? Those are good points in a robbery on a ROAD against some/one people/person, but a country is a different beast entirely... there is a distinction between a country and a buncha people the way there's a difference between a 747 and a Chevy...

If the Chevy blows up on I-285, then only Atlantan papers would report it fully, and other papers may put a blurb in it... but if a 747 blows up on the runway, then it'll make world headlines. Why is one of more severity than the other? More people died? Bigger vehicle? larger explosion? There are several factors, but I think that it waters down that the example is just a really crude mock up of the events. A bunch of people ignored is only distantly related.

But I see your point too Jeff...
                          and remember, these are just opinions!

EDIT: 'bigger aircraft' changed to bigger vehicle'

Comment

I think the third dog from the left in my signature is gonna bite you!

Just tryin' to keep the spin to a minimum.

Comment

Hmm... considering how my day has gone with dogs, I'd say that they're all planning on biting me!

My sister and I were in the park, and this dog comes running up barking and growling, and starts to jump up on me. I don't really think it was playing with me, since it kinda seemed to flash its teeth and....i dunno i cant describe it.

Im not 'afraid' of dogs; my best friend has one, and I've kinda gotten used to them in way of his dog. Who happened to bite my nose one day when he was a puppy!

WHATS UP WITH MY NOSE???!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X