Why do we avoid confrontation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do we avoid confrontation?

Why is everybody afraid to get in an argument?

Because nothing can be gained by starting a confrontation with someone. I've always found that treating somebody with respect garners the same in return.

Comment

Luckily the majority off people on thi site have respect for one and another and have the skills to debate/discuss in a decent manner.

Before the server crash there was quit a lively discussion going on in this forum about the knowledge/ignorance of americans about foreign countries. This could easily have turned into a Europe vs. USA bashing, luckily the visitors of this site do not lower themselves to that level.

If you want an argument, start up a controversial topic.
      I'll be happy to reply

grtz

Comment

Re: Why do we avoid confrontation?

Originally posted by Greg
        Why is everybody afraid to get in an argument?
        The problem is not the argument, the problems always start about our way to HANDLE confrontation.

Somebody asked why this site is so dead ? Exactly because thereīre very few arguments. When I scroll thru the threads here, I see mostly one liners as an "answer". You might be afraid about adīs flame wars, but it has been proven there, that polemic discussions can be handled gentlemenlike. (Ok, ok most of the time)

I personally think that a verbal confrontation, read healthy discussion, can be most enlightening for both sides. It starts in the head: From the moment a member gets rid of the idea that this forum is kinda war game with winners and loosers, he might have the most pleasant debates here. There are always two or more winners after such a debate. Itīs just like chess where a fair opponent gets delighted by a smart and clever move, vice versa as well. And learns ...

This forum will continue dead, if you DONīT start a polemic debate about whatever issue. Itīs the grain of salt ANY forum needs to become unique and therefore frequently visited.

Just my two cents ...

Ohhh, and I love you aaaaallllll sooooooo much ...

PO
        Res Severa Verum Gaudium !

Comment

The problem is not the argument, the problems always start about our way to HANDLE confrontation.

Somebody asked why this site is so dead ? Exactly because thereīre very few arguments. When I scroll thru the threads here, I see mostly one liners as an "answer". You might be afraid about adīs flame wars, but it has been proven there, that polemic discussions can be handled gentlemenlike. (Ok, ok most of the time)

I personally think that a verbal confrontation, read healthy discussion, can be most enlightening for both sides. It starts in the head: From the moment a member gets rid of the idea that this forum is kinda war game with winners and loosers, he might have the most pleasant debates here. There are always two or more winners after such a debate. Itīs just like chess where a fair opponent gets delighted by a smart and clever move, vice versa as well. And learns ...

This forum will continue dead, if you DONīT start a polemic debate about whatever issue. Itīs the grain of salt ANY forum needs to become unique and therefore frequently visited.

Just my two cents ...

Where do you guys get the time to write this much?
          | My Photos | My Profile |

Comment

Originally posted by JoeJoe440

Just my two cents ...

Where do you guys get the time to write this much?
            When I take my finger out of my nose, I experience an awesome boost of typing velocity. Try it out. Worked for me !

PO

Comment

LOL

Comment

I should rephrase that . How come we can't get into worthwhile discussions. Everytime one starts it dies after like 6 posts. Everybody loses interest.

Comment

I should rephrase that . How come we can't get into worthwhile discussions. Everytime one starts it dies after like 6 posts. Everybody loses interest.
                  because not everyone has the same idea of a "worthwhile discussion" and therefore does not post an opinion, thats why most posts die after a few posts, well thats my view of it

Comment

profound

Comment

Greg,

I think part of the 'problem', as you see it, is that a significant number of forum members are also members of www.airdisaster.com which is the older sister site to jetphotos, and is also run by Chris.

If you look at the Off Topic forum on that site you will find numerous threads per day with a large number on controversial topics. At times the arguments get so heated and over-the-top that members have been banned in the past.

Recently, I am pleased to say, rational argument, often of high quality, has largely replaced abuse. Nevertheless it is a vibrant forum. Why don't you join airdisaster as well if you want lively discussion on a range of subjects? You will meet many old friends from this site.

I frequent both sites which I regard as complementary to each other.

Comment

I know I spend time there but I like jp.net better because a "Samurai George"(you would understand if you've been there lately) could live without being derided.

Comment

I know I spend time there but I like jp.net better because a "Samurai George"(you would understand if you've been there lately) could live without being derided.
                          I havent been on there lately so whats Samurai George"?

Comment

a racist(against the french)fellow. Who was really a pro-tridum bum.

Comment

Now now now,
                              you complain about lack of controversity, you go over to ad.com, you donīt care to introduce yourself in a few words, not even considering that youīre an unknown member so far, then, and thatīs the funniest move Iīve seen in a long time, you start a "poll" :

Title: Who should be bombed ?

Option 1: Iraq
                              Option 2: France
                              Option 3: Germany

Then you canīt stand our acid sarcasm, and of course, such a joke "poll" MUST be ridiculed, you then finally go back to jp.net, not before you edit all the crap out and even change the name of the topic starter. And then you drop a lake of tears about poor "Samurai George" aka Greg aka Greg D who had to leave some feathers on ASF.

Is this your idea about a healthy discussion ?

PO

Comment

Working...
                              X