California Wildfires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Wildfires

Right now the count stands at 11 people dead, over 500 houses burned, and 208,000 acres charred. And, to add insult to injury, they are saying the fire was deliberately started.

The people of that region are certainly in my thoughts and prayers.
    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

You can see the smoke on the radar in the area . Good luck Clovis and anyone who's close to the fires (even though clovis told me he's pretty far away) but you never know.

Comment

My grandparents are up in Ventura County. They say that everything is covered in ash. I remember Summer 2002 there were some fires near them when I was out there and ash covered your car when you left it outside overnight. This one is closer to them so I'm hoping they are all right. My Uncle and Aunt live on Coronado Island and they say that down there they have smoke and ash also. One of my friends mother lives in Ontario, Ca. also so I'm kinda of hoping the fires get under control.

Comment

I live in Los Angeles County, and about an hour and a half away from the closest fire in San Bernadino and 2 hours away from the fire in San Diego, and the smoke and ashes blew all the way over in my area. Couldn't even go out today because you couldn't breathe. The air is all brown and smells like smoke and there are ashes everywhere. Hopefully they'll get all 9(?) fires under control and let them burn out .

Comment

The count is now at 650 homes destroyed and 14 dead I can remember a couple of days ago when the count was just 5 structures destroyed...
          Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Unfortunently the fire does spread very fast and the structural damage can get pretty high. One big example is during the B.C interior fires the news first reported 25 or so fires then the next morning it was damn near 400 homes and buildings destroyed. It's hard to believe that one little cigarette, or spark from a campfire can cause such devastation. Although I lived nearly 2 hours away from the B.C fires it does affect the entire province or in this case the entire state, and it does bring everyone closer.

Comment

People need to recognize and respect the danger and hazard of fire!

People, stupid as they can be, sit there and wait for the flames to get close enough so that they burn them up... or else, they die trying to stop the fire... Let the Firemen handle that... and if the fireman dies tryin to put out the fire... Kudos to him.. still he was stupid. he did something wrong that got him killed...

Comment

I have been living it personally and professionally.
                My brother and his wife live in Aliso Viejo in Orange County and that is right between the fires, they said it has been "snowing" there and everything is gray...at nights they can see the glows from the fires and it is cloudy and dark during the day..
                Today the LAX TRACON facility was affected by the fires which caused ground stops for LAX, SNA, BUR, LGB, ONT & SAN causing delays in excess of 5hrs on some flights and cancellations on most of them. Flights are just now getting back in the air...

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaASA16
                  Wow, why didn't we all think of that before?

Let the Firemen handle that... and if the fireman dies tryin to put out the fire... Kudos to him.. still he was stupid. he did something wrong that got him killed...
                  You never fail to amaze me. You have no clue what it is like putting out a fire do you... ?

That was a very insensitive thing to say about a fireman. Especially since you have no fuc&ing idea what your talking about.

Comment

People, stupid as they can be, sit there and wait for the flames to get close enough so that they burn them up... or else, they die trying to stop the fire... Let the Firemen handle that... and if the fireman dies tryin to put out the fire... Kudos to him.. still he was stupid. he did something wrong that got him killed...
                    ...yeah, they are stupid for trying to look out for others lives and property. Shame on them for voulenteering their time. They should just let the fire burn down all of LA. Congrats, you just gave me another reason not to like you...before I just had that your'e a Riddle student.

Comment

All it takes is a thrown match or something, or a random lightning strike, and millions of dollars of property and lives are at risk. And fire is something we take for granted, yet it comes back and bites us in the ass.

Good luck to the firefighters in California. Hope you get that thing contained quick.

Comment

He did something wrong?? He/she was saving lives and people's homes. Of course people are going to stay behind and try to protect what took them so long to earn but to call a firemen stupid just because their just doing their job and protecting people?? Yes some people do take their safety into concern and evacuate but people just can't let go of their homes. Most of the time people get barely an hour to evacuate their homes, and yes some will wait it out and hope for the best but unfortunently sometimes yes they do stay and pay the ultimate price, but their not stupid.
                        Firefighters willingly put their lifes on the lines, for example when half of B.C was in flames firefighters from all over Canada wanted to help but were denied and were pissed about it. Bottom line to call a firefighter stupid is well....stupid, and I totally wish the civilians and firefights of California the best of luck and safety.

Comment

Hmm, well if your house ever catches on fire, tell the "stupid" firefighters not to put it out, even if your pets, family, and everything you've worked for during your entire life are destroyed...Don't you know that these people are risking their lives for complete strangers, just trying to give those families something to come back to...

Comment

Yeah...give the guys some credit. Fire fighting is one of the most hazardous jobs out there. I know its something I would not want to do for the rest of my life.

-Pete
                            Pete Ganabathi
                            Embry Riddle Aeronautical University

Fly Frontier Airlines - A Whole Different Animal

Comment

I actually like the fire...its giving me some great sunset shots by the beach Taken at 4:35pm local:

16th street lifeguard tower. The sun was red coming through smoke that had drifted south off the Simi Valley fire.

Two palms near HB pier.

-Clovis (light headed from breathin ash all day)

Comment

Working...
                              X