Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has the EU gone mad?

EU embarrassed as poll labels Israel world's biggest threat

BRUSSELS (AFP) - The European Union (news - web sites) scrambled to contain the fallout from a public opinion poll that -- to Israel's fury -- labelled the Jewish state the biggest threat to world peace.

The United States was just behind Israel in the global danger league, in joint second place with North Korea (news - web sites) and Iran, according to the "Eurobarometer" poll requested by the European Commission (news - web sites).

The results were part of a survey last month on Europeans' attitudes in the aftermath of the Iraq (news - web sites) war, which also found that more than two-thirds of EU citizens think that the US-led war was wrong.

The Israeli embassy in Brussels voiced outrage at the findings, which said that 59 percent of Europeans see Israel as a threat to world peace.

"Europeans seem blind to Israeli victims and suffering. Instead, they have put the Jewish state below the level of the worst pariah state and terror organizations," it said in a statement.

"We are not only sad but outraged. Not at European citizens, but at those who are responsible for forming public opinion," the embassy added.

"Israel's desperate struggle for peace and security for its people has been distorted beyond recognition in often one-sided and emotionally charged media coverage."

The poll had already prompted angry reactions after details were leaked by the Spanish daily El Pais last week.

The Israeli ambassador to Italy -- which currently holds the EU presidency -- told the daily Il Messagero Monday that the poll could have significant diplomatic consequences.

"It seems to me that the only aim of this poll was to denigrate Israel at a very delicate time, and I think it will it much more difficult for Europe to fulfill its ambition to play a part in the peace process," said Ehud Gol.

The EU's Italian presidency tried to play down the results, insisting they did not reflect the official EU position.

"The result of the survey, based on an ambiguous question, does not reflect the position of the European Union which has been voiced on numerous occasions," Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini said in a statement.

"The EU is all the more annoyed since it is fully aware that the Israeli population is hit hard by terrorism," it said, criticising the "false signal" that the survey sent out.

According to the Eurobarometer poll, based on interviews with 500 people in each of the 15 EU states, some 59 percent of Europeans replied "yes" when asked whether or not Israel presents a threat to peace in the world.

A total of 53 percent said Iran, North Korea and the United States pose a threat, followed by 52 percent for Iraq, 50 percent for Afghanistan (news - web sites) and 48 percent for Pakistan.

Countries lower down the list included Syria, Libya, Saudi Arabia, China, India, Russia and Somalia. The EU itself was described as a threat by eight percent of respondents.

The EU survey was presented in the form of a list of 15 countries, from which some 7,515 respondents were asked to say which ones they thought pose a threat to world peace.

Commission spokesman Gerassimos Thomas was repeatedly asked why the Palestinian territories were not included, while for example the survey asked Europeans about the threat from Somalia. "It is not a country," he replied when pressed over the Palestinians.

The European Commission said Israel's anger was "legitimate" but refused to get drawn into whether the poll findings were valid.

"I think the (Israeli) reaction was a very legitimate reaction," the spokesman for the EU's executive arm told reporters.

But he added: "It is not our task to interpret each and every survey. We don't place excessive emphasis on one poll result."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not only does this alarm me, but it makes me angry as well. How can they honestly think that Israel is the biggest threat to world peace? The only people threatened by Israel are the Palestinian terrorists who constantly strike at Israels civilians. Where have they (the EU) been since 2000 when countless suicide bombings have taken place?

Also, to think that they would list the US in the same bracket as North Korea and Iran... Do they remember all that we did for them? We have the most powerful military (which I can understand would alarm some people) but we use it more to keep peace than we use it for war. Mogadishu, Bosnia, etc. I know I'm ranting, but I'm furious right now
    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Europeans have had a penchant for Anti-Semitism for many years, starting with the Dreyfuss case in France to the Austrian guy with the mustache.

Don't sweat it!!!

A Colombian guy moved by the winds of fate to St. Louis, MO

Comment

seems so
      Some people in today's society are so thick!

Comment

Re: Has the EU gone mad?

Also, to think that they would list the US in the same bracket as North Korea and Iran... Do they remember all that we did for them? We have the most powerful military (which I can understand would alarm some people) but we use it more to keep peace than we use it for war. Mogadishu, Bosnia, etc. I know I'm ranting, but I'm furious right now
        Don't be stupid. You guys have broken world peace repeatedly over the past couple of years! Just because (you think) you're doing it for everyone's good doesn't change the fact that, for good or for bad, you have invaded two countries therefore breaking world peace.

North Korea and Iran haven't invaded anyone recently...
        I walked across an empty land
        I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
        I felt the earth beneath my feet
        Sat by the river and it made me complete

Comment

Let's see.......what was the guys name, and what country does he represent? You know......the country that allied with us during our last outing? Blair? Great Britain? Hmmmmm, yes.......that might be what I'm thinking.......

Jess said: "Don't be stupid. You guys have broken world peace repeatedly over the past couple of years! "

Is that what you call all the "happiness" going on in the world?" World Peace? Wow.

And this line has to be a classic ..... "its just typical american ignorace" when was the last time you were called "ignorace" and didn't laugh....

Sorry, but those two remarks probably deserve a dumbass reward....

Comment

Originally posted by JeffinDEN
            Let's see.......what was the guys name, and what country does he represent? You know......the country that allied with us during our last outing? Blair? Great Britain? Hmmmmm, yes.......that might be what I'm thinking.......
            I couldn't give two hoots about Blair - I'm not British and I don't mind that they do. They didn't instigate either of the conflicts anyway, merely tagged along.

Jess said: "Don't be stupid. You guys have broken world peace repeatedly over the past couple of years! "

Is that what you call all the "happiness" going on in the world?" World Peace? Wow.
            It doesn't matter what you call it, the fact remains that America has invaded two countries. We are not discussing whether this was right or wrong here, but taking the FACTS at face value, America's ongoing military actions are not world peace. Therefore, America is a threat to world peace. Is it really so hard to understand that, whatever the reason, right or wrong, an invasion is NOT peace...?

Sorry, but those two remarks probably deserve a dumbass reward....
            Jeff, you claim to be an intelligent man, so why do you continue to misinterpret anything anyone says. It's obvious to me that, looked at objectively, an invasion is an act that threatens world peace, indeed breaks it.

We are NOT discussing whether it was right or wrong, for the good of the world blah blah blah, thats all subjective. I'm merely looking at the facts.

Now, come back to me if there is anything you disagree with here. See if you can do it without a petty insult, like a grown up perhaps! Do you still fail to see why, when America has so publically been invading countries (and publicity is what counts when the people are asked about world affairs), people regard America as a threat to world peace?

I say again, leave right or wrong OUT OF IT for now and just look at the facts...

Comment

I think that the governments of Israel, the USA and North Korea are threats to world peace. But before you proceed to flaming me for my opinion, mind that I also think Chirac screwed up major when he cuddled with Saddam.

I think that's also the way that survey has to be interpreted: the governments are seen as the threats, not the peoples.

And it's not the EU that would be going mad, but some 7000 EU citizens who took part in that survey.

Comment

Kat...you say that the US has invaded two countries- yes, that is true, but you have to look at why we did what we did.

First of all, the US was attacked by a terrorist group in Afghanistan. The government there harbored the group and even supported it. We hit Afghanistan (along with dozens of other countries) in response to their attack against us. We were just responding to what had happened to us...we could not let the terrorist groups go unpunished or else we would most likely be dealing with another 9/11 or even worse. Think about this- in the 1990s Bin Laden and his group attacket the WTC with a truck bomb, two embassies in Africa, and a US warship in Yemen. The best that we did in response was launch a few cruise missiles into tents. Then, possibly because the US was afraid to act before, 9/11 happens.

Iraq is a different story, and we will probably know more about it in the coming weeks and months. Let's not get into the alleged WMDs or oil or other things of that nature...that is a completely different topic.

I can see why the EU would be worried, but have they forgotten that they were the ones who helped the US topple the Taliban?
                Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Originally posted by aloges
                  I think that the governments of Israel, the USA and North Korea are threats to world peace. But before you proceed to flaming me for my opinion, mind that I also think Chirac screwed up major when he cuddled with Saddam.

I think that's also the way that survey has to be interpreted: the governments are seen as the threats, not the peoples.

And it's not the EU that would be going mad, but some 7000 EU citizens who took part in that survey.
                  I can see some reasons why people would think the US is a threat to world peace (Iraq), but not Israel. Responding to constant terrorist attacks against your country is not a crime.

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
                    I can see some reasons why people would think the US is a threat to world peace (Iraq), but not Israel. Responding to constant terrorist attacks against your country is not a crime.
                    Anti-Semitism, pure and simple.

Hey, they even bought Henry Ford's drivel!!!

And for Jess, I think NZ has never suffered a terrorist attack with the magnitude of 9/11, and if the US had not responded accordingly, we'd been regarded as wimps.

How would you have responded if you were NZ's PM if, God forbid, NZ would've been attacked in such savage manner???

A Colombian guy moved by the winds of fate to St. Louis, MO

Comment

One would think that after almost 60 years Anti-Semitism would not be as wide spread as it is in Europe today.

Unfortunately, Europe has had a long history Anti-Semitism and it is unlikely to end any time soon.

aloges,

Of course you think that the U.S. is a threat to world peace. Well, @ least until another person like Bill Clinton becomes President. Then everything will be perfect.

Comment

Ok you guys aren't thinking logically. You're calling it anti-semitism which it most likely isn't. When someone disagrees with George Bush you don't start raving "Awww he's Anti-Christian!!!" do you?
                        This isn't anti-semitism it's anti Israeli policy. The fact that a person can't disagree with Israeli policies without being called a Jew hater is a joke.

I'm not saying I agree with this poll, I'm just stating what I said above.
                        Earl From Regina

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
                          Kat...you say that the US has invaded two countries- yes, that is true, but you have to look at why we did what we did.
                          Oh for gods sake. Did you not read my post AT ALL!? I said we WERE NOT getting involved in a debate about it, but looking merely at the facts, is that too hard to understand? I'm not interested in the right or wrong of the situation, merely pointing out why peoples opinion that the US is a threat to world peace is justified.

Whether the combats themselves are justified is another thing entirely, that we are NOT going to get into!

Understand yet?

Comment

An excellent point by MyBlock as well, take note B757 and others!

Comment

Originally posted by B757300
                              One would think that after almost 60 years Anti-Semitism would not be as wide spread as it is in Europe today.

Unfortunately, Europe has had a long history Anti-Semitism and it is unlikely to end any time soon.

aloges,

Of course you think that the U.S. is a threat to world peace. Well, @ least until another person like Bill Clinton becomes President. Then everything will be perfect.
                              Would you people please just stfu? You don't seem to know about the idea of differentiating, so if someone posts "I don't like what Sharon is doing." he or she is immediately labelled "anti-Semitic". If someone posts "I don't like what Bush is doing." it'll be "You're an anti-American ass." If that's your little world of black and white, please stay in it and don't get on people's nerves. I'm fed up with that bullshit. If you say that "Europe has had a long history Anti-Semitism", go get a clue where the people that founded your oh-so-tolerant nation came from. You guessed it, it's from freaking anti-Semitic, terrorist hugging, communism-loving Europe. Get a freaking clue, there's been mass murder, religious, racial and any other kind of hatred and so on in the history of every nation. Do I really have to remember you of what those great people called settlers did do Native Americans? Or what those awesome farmers in the South did to "their" slaves? Just cut that holier-than-thou crap, every nation has screwed up in its history.

And yes, if anyone but someone like Bush was president (hell, even if Arnold could be it) right now, things would be better.

Comment

Working...
                              X