No announcement yet.

help..info on ageing aircraft safety??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help..info on ageing aircraft safety??

Hello ,I am a student writing a paper for my transportation engineering class, and would like to know what effect ageing aircraft has in terms of safety?? Any infromation would be soooo helpful. Thanks, Justin

this would go onto Aviation discussion forum where you will find someone has answered it
    Some people in today's society are so thick!

Comment

if an aircraft is properly maintained age has no effect.
      The aircraft will simply not pass inspections if it's not safe, and those inspections are the same for old and new aircraft.
      Old aircraft DO need more maintenance than new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by jwenting
        if an aircraft is properly maintained age has no effect.
        The aircraft will simply not pass inspections if it's not safe, and those inspections are the same for old and new aircraft.
        Old aircraft DO need more maintenance than new ones.
        Not exactly. That sounds good, but is not 100% true. Metal fatigue is insideous, and hard to detect. While maintence can take care of some of it, NDI, and other types of inspections will eventually turn up cracks. Some cracks can be repaired, others cannot, and the structure will need to be replaced. Sometimes is is just not feasible to do so mechanically and financially. So a trip to the boneyard is arranged. Corrosion does, and will cause similar issues that at some point will become a determining factor in the a/c's retirement.

I am not saying that even the oldest airplane cannot be restored to flying status, just that at some point, there isn't enough of the original plane left to actually call it that. Large, unreasonable sums of money will be spent to do so as well.

Comment

%100, not true,

Do you remember EMERY?

This Airlines must loss one of it's planes every year!

They didn't every care about Safety!

[/quote]
          15 Nov is my Birth day! I want A340? pls dad pls mom LOL

Comment

Working...
          X