I Bought A Snake :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Bought A Snake :)

Today I bought a Corn Snake. His name is Syd and he should grow to be about 4 or 5 feet long and an inch thick or so. Right now though he's a baby.
    Does anyone here have a snake or have they in the past?
    Earl From Regina

Don't have a snake. But I've always wanted to have a couple of lizards

Comment

I have always wanted one, I still do but I do not feel like giving it live mice for eating, when Purina Snake goes out...

Comment

Actually they generally eat dead mice. Although some people consider feeding live prey more "natural" it's actually not a good thing to do because it's dangerous for the snake. The mouse can fight back and really hurt the snake and if the snake isn't hungry it won't go for the mouse at all. The snake may be calm during this but the mouse isn't and the mouse will actually attack the snake.
        I havn't fed mine yet, I will for the first time in about 7 days. I'm hoping he eats without problem. If he refuses to eat I won't be too happy. He is still scared of me because I'm new to him and he's gone through a big ordeal by being moved today.
        Earl From Regina

Comment

Hmm it's getting nicer then...
          do they sell dead mice? or do I have to kill it??

Comment

Yeah, they sell dead mice. You could buy live ones then kill them but that's kinda just extra work and it isn't exactly something I like to do.
            I'm not sure what type of snake you could buy in Columbia for domesticated use. You live in a much more tropical climate and your snakes are much different than here. The snake I have is generally found in Northern Mexico, Texas, Kansas and places like that. What types of snakes do you have there for domesticated use?
            Earl From Regina

Comment

For domesticated use I've seen mostly small varieties of the Boa....
              Although I guess there are some others suitable for living here...

Comment

I used to have 5 pythons,only one would eat dead mices,the 4 others had to get live mices or rats,or else they wouldnt eat.One of them didnt eat for a complete year,then one day he decided to be hungry again and eat every week.
                Dont worry,your snake is not afraid of you,he might not like to be held,but he is sure not afraid of you.Snakes have no emotions whatsoever,wich can make them very bowring to have,they will never be happy to see you like a cat or a dog,the snake could be 3 minutes or 3 months without seeing you,he would not see the difference,and would not care either.

Comment

Not true at all! My snake stands up every morning when he see's me. I just sucks when I have to take him to the bathroom!

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by Derf
                    Not true at all! My snake stands up every morning when he see's me. I just sucks when I have to take him to the bathroom!

You're a disgrace :P
                    I walked across an empty land
                    I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
                    I felt the earth beneath my feet
                    Sat by the river and it made me complete

Comment

you have never seen my snake!

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Well, I fed Syd the snake with success last night. He ate the baby mouse and swallowed it whole. This is a real good sign because I didn't want a snake that wouldn't eat
                        Earl From Regina

Comment

Originally posted by kaddyuk
                          I am concidering buying a snake but I am not sure what kind of "Maintainance" is required to keep one. what do you need to do and when to keep the snake happy?
                          That shouldn't be a problem for you. They can certainly help you at the Virgin Altantic Maintenance Center, can't they?

Cheers

Marcos

Comment

What about hushkit?
                            Check out my photos at jp.net! http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=613

Comment

Originally posted by kaddyuk
                              I am concidering buying a snake but I am not sure what kind of "Maintainance" is required to keep one. what do you need to do and when to keep the snake happy?
                              Well, I'm a newbie at this so I'll try and explain what I know. The maintainance is generally lower than that of taking care of a dog.
                              You gotta buy a terrarium of appropriate size for the snake, I'm using a simple 10x20 inch aquarium but in about 9 months I'll need to buy a way bigger one for my snake to be happy.
                              You need to buy an undertank heater which is a cheap simple device that sticks to the bottom of the tank and heats one side. You also need a day and night heat lamp.
                              You also need a water dish and a hiding spot or two. I also have a climbing branch for him to slither around on. Reptile Bark makes up the bottom of the aquarium.
                              You generally gotta feed the snake once every 7-10 days with a dead mouse. The size of the mouse depends on the size of your snake. It's also good to take your snake out and handle him, although you shouldn't handle him after he has eaten for awhile.
                              This is all very simple info about corn snakes. I advise you to go on google.com or some other search engine and just type corn snake in the search thingy and you will find many sites telling you how to take care of them.
                              Earl From Regina

Comment

Working...
                              X