Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School: Time to pick my options!

Hi,
    I have just returned from a school options evening and I am torn between subjects to choose for my GCSE's. I want to be a Pilot so the options I have chosen have been based around this career path.

I am definatly doing the following:

* Maths Statistics
    * Double Award Sciences
    * Geography

I'm torn between the following (Can only choose one or the other):

* Food Technology or Graphics Design
    * ICT or History

The problem is I am unsure of which of the above will be more benificial to my chosen career as a Pilot.

Can anybody PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me some advice as I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

jmc_757-200

Enjoy Every Moment

Food technology ain't going to help you much as a pilot(unless you get a pilot's license at a culinary college ) And history although it maybe interesting most pilots don't need to recite dates of battles when they have double engine flameout on approach during a large squall. I want to be a pilot also and I am taking pre-calculus and physics (and other things not necessary to fly like AP English Language and AP U.S. history) Go for the science and math classes (or classes related to those subjects) Good Luck.

Comment

Hi Greg,
      Thanks for your help!

Thanks

jmc_757-200

Enjoy Every Moment

Comment

No problem

Comment

Hi TCX, me again!! Ahh you making me begin to feel old. I am in my last year of A Levels now, the light is at the end of the tunnel! Like you I would like to be a pilot.

The only advice I am going to give you is do the one you will enjoy more. Seriously, there's no point in taking a subject you know you will not enjoy, just because it will look good in the future. Believe me, I am finding this to my expense. It may sound stupid not to take the one that will help you more, but if you don't enjoy that subject then it will be awful for 2 years.

- Graphic Desgn... I took this and loved it!! The exam syllabus my school does is pretty good (as you know, yours may be different), but in mine 50% of your grade came from a huge project, in which you could do anything!! I did the corporate image for a new Charter Airline called "AppleJet" (dunno why Applejet, just for fun! ) highly inspired by jmc... lol... green tail May not help you be a pilot, but I liked it.

- IT... I aso did this, it was pretty boring, but still quite good. Doing it at A Level also. This could be more useful in the future, think of it as if you can't be a pilot (not saying you won't be, don't worry), but there is always an "if" or "but", IT is a good skill to have.

Don;t know if those ramblings made any sense to you :P , hope they did. Only you know what you want to do, if you really don't know speak to subject teachers, ask what Exam board they use for that subject, look at the syllabus etc... Good Luck!!

jmc757

Comment

Hi jmc757,
            I have now chosen my options and they are extremely similar to yours!

I have chosen:

* Graphic Products
            * ICT
            * Geography
            * Maths Statistics
            * And if I am granted a "Fast Track" program, History aswell

Thanks

Thomas_Cook_757-200

Enjoy Every Moment

Comment

JMC you going to go to college for a pilots license or just get a license without a degree?

Comment

Hi,
                Don't know about jmc757 but i'm planning on RAF College Crawell.

Thanks

Thomas_Cook_757-200

Enjoy Every Moment

Comment

I want to go to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                    What the hells that?

Thanks,

Joe,
                    | My Photos | My Profile |

Comment

ask grammo

Comment

ok

Hey greg i'm only 51 posts behind you now!

Joe,
                        | My Photos | My Profile |

Comment

I'm not sure what i'm going to do next. There isn't really any sort of Pilot University's in the UK, and there isn't really any pilot's courses. Aerospace Technology/Engineering are about the best bet. I'm having a year out to see how it goes, i'm not sure about whether to go to universty or not...
                          Not too sure about the RAF either. Everyone says "go to the RAF" as soon as you mention you want to be a pilot. I, and all of you i'm sure, realise its not as simple as that. You cannot join up to the RAF, to think yeah great be here for 5 years, learn to fly, then walk out straight into BA. It is so much more than that, it is a lifestyle change. you have to be prepared to take everythng that comes with it, yes, you could go off to the gulf etc etc... it is NOT just a pilots job. Like i said, i'm sure you all know that, its a descision i'm not sure about, I dont know if its for me. TCX, I admire you for having that ambition, and I wish you the best of luck. Who knows, maybe I might end up at RAF, but I wish people would realise its more than a pilot job. When people say it to you, i always reply "Would you join the armed forces..." 9 times out of 10 its a no, but they're all for me going!
                          My plan is to get a passenger services job in the summer, im 15mins away from BHX, iis not a great job, or even a career move, but i'll have fun, and rest assured, ill throw myself at any hint of sponsership!! :P

jmc757

Comment

Don't you need a college degree to enter flight training in the RAF?

If your thinking that hard about it (entering the military), then it's probably not for you.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by JoeJoe440
                              Originally posted by Greg
                              What the hells that?

Thanks,

Joe,
                              If your serious..thats sad..
                              Legia Warszawa - Duma Stolicy Polski
                              Sail the Smooth Skies to ORD with the 767-300ER

Photos: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=5
                              http://www.jetphotos.net/members/viewprofile.php?id=5

Comment

Working...
                              X