Iraq Disarmament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraq Disarmament

Now before I start the topic here is a disclaimer: I know all of you are sick of Iraq but I thought up this great analogy and I couldn't let it go to waste.

Today Iraq started dismanteling it's long range missiles. I view this as the class bully (Iraq) "Sure...I won't do it again...not" saying and showing that they are cooperating with the teacher (U.N.) " Ok...You are now a better person" when the teacher is there. The U.S. is playing the part of the geeky heroic kid "We must stop the oppression of this bully" who wants to stop the bully from bullying. The nations against that are against war are like the "cool" kids who think the geeky kid is wacked out "He is such a nut case". North Korea is like the insane kid who everybody ignores "but this time is going to show them all...cackle...cackle" This is my opinion when sizing up the world situation. What do you think about this/the situation in the world?

So are you saying that Iraq is the bully and USA the bullied???

?????

I didn't really get that part.
    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Interesting analogy. Others see it the other way around.

Hey I was just reading in the news, North Korea offered political asylum to Saddam Hussein. Like hell anyone will allow that.....

Comment

The Iranian govt. have also asked Saddam to step down as ruler of Iraq, so as to avoid war. I think this is blossoming into a third world war. USA already has its own few allies, and so does Iraq. The Syrian gov.t has said that it will support Iraq in case of a war.
        "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

Comment

Syria said they'd support Iraq in a war? I'd like to know where you got this info.

Last time I checked Syria was with other Arab league states urging Saddam and his entire regime to abdicate....

Comment

It's a WWI scenario where a conflict between two large "empires" (ok not really but it's like U.S. versus Arab world) and then everybody takes up sides along old lines and then they fight a pointless war. If the parallels hold a single event (maybe an assaination?) will touch off a conflict that will drag on and drain all of the respective countries and set the stage for yet anothe World War. (hum WWIII and WWIV interesting)

Comment

Is anyone naive enough to think that Saddam would have taken even these limited steps without the threat of a fullscale attack by the US in the background?

Of course he would't. He would have continued to string the world along dancing to his tune as he has done for the past decade and more.

Comment

But he will test the authority and try to see how close to crossing the line he can get without getting slammed like a bully who will do everything but cross the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                  But he will test the authority and try to see how close to crossing the line he can get without getting slammed like a bully who will do everything but cross the line.
                  No, that's not he will try. The only thing he cares about is staying as long as possible in power. He will do anything for that (we saw that before, he kills his own family or trusted ones, when they get too powerful or too close).

The corporation with the UN is to stay longer in power. He knows that the US won't attack without UN support.

Comment

I agree with Aeronautics. Saddam is cooperating only as a means to buy time. As we speak he's mobilizing his forces. I watched Insight on CNN. The reason why Bush wanted to attack in Feb was because it wasnt TOO hot. Now thing's will be tough should the war take place and Saddam will be more prepared for an invasion, which now won't be as easy. Day by Day, I am starting to think that overthrowing Saddam isn't such a bad idea....
                    Even his neighbors want him to abdicate. By peaceful means of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard
                      Even his neighbors want him to abdicate. By peaceful means of course.
                      Of course they do. They don't want any type of war in their backyard. Think of the refugee issue, not to mention the who-knows-what-type of weapons that are going to be popped off back and forth.

Comment

Syria said they'd support Iraq in a war? I'd like to know where you got this info.
                        South China Morning Post, Sunday Edition. The Syrian govt. completely blamed USA for the situation in the middle east, and said that it was against USA, hence implying that they supported Saddam.

Comment

South China Morning Post, Sunday Edition. The Syrian govt. completely blamed USA for the situation in the middle east, and said that it was against USA, hence implying that they supported Saddam
                          implying is not saying,
                          saying is still far away from actually acting.

Comment

Especially when politicians of any sort are involved.

Comment

In his interview saddaum chastised Dan rather for referring to President bush as, Bush and told him to call him Mr. Bush not if that isn't sweet talking so you don't get overthrown I don't know what is.

Comment

Working...
                              X