Steve Irwin gone too far. this man really is stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jason,
    She just likes to argue... she is a legend....

in her own mind.... :P

Comment

To be fair, they ARE better than everyone else, at acting and singing,
      I disagree. They're simply marketted better. I'm sure you can think of some "famous" singers who you believe are absolute crap, I sure can. Same for actors/actresses. I've also seen singers/actors that are not famous who I really think should be.

It seems this supports the view that Steve is better than everyone else (read the vast majority of the world) with animals, due to the fact he runs a zoo. Your point seems to support precisely what you argue against...
      I disagree. Those who believe that being on TV somehow makes you better than others will agree with you for sure, but eventually they'll figure out that it's pretty much irrelevant. The popularity of actors/singers etc is a matter of opinion and everyone's opinion is different. I think that those who are successful on TV are simply better marketted than those who are not. Nothing to do with skill, and everything to do with opportunity.

Is Steve Irwin any better than those who run other, more successful zoos?

What about those who run the Dubbo zoo? Does he know more about animals than them? Their zoo is larger and more succesful than his zoo. How about Taronga? It's the most successful zoo in Australia. What about the Melbourne zoo? the Canberra zoo? the Mogo zoo? All more successful than Steve Irwins zoo, but all choosing to focus on the zoo rather than on getting rich on TV by acting like pratts. That's before we get into the research facilities that are closed to the general public, and there are many of those.

Then we can get onto the people who deal with these animals on a daily basis, hunting them down to move them. Showing them to tourists in the wild rather than safely behind cages. I can't see how these people are any less "expert" than Steve Irwin (and many of them more so).

The issue began as a discussion that these people are simply speaking out against what Steve Irwin did to get their faces on TV. My comments are merely to back up my statement that I don't accept that. There are a multitude of people who have a right to speak out against what he did from those who are croc experts to those who are child safety experts to those who are simply responsible members of the community. After all, in a democracy the community generally sets what is acceptable behaviour.

Jason: I think you need to leave the discussion in the context in which it was made, someone simply disagreeing with your points. There is no paranoid undertones here, no "grudges". Contrary to what jeff infers there is no "argument for the sake of argument", that's just a simple concept from a simple mind.

I'm not willing to conceed Steve Irwin was Ok to do as he did on the basis of the points you raised, and I simply stated why. The points are out there, the facts are out there. You're as unwilling to accept them as you claim I am. That's your right. As is it your right to think that what he did was ok. I addressed only the issues you raised that I disagreed with and let you know why. You seem to have a problem with that, i'm unsure of why.

Bear in mind thought that we do appear to agree on a single point, that we both hope the government does not remove his children from his care. So I guess there is a middle ground there.

ADG
      ADG
      No makeovers please .....

Comment

Originally posted by Katamarino
        Originally posted by ADG
        the same factor that has people believing actors/singers are better than everyone else because they are on TV.

ADG
        To be fair, they ARE better than everyone else, at acting and singing, which is the skill they are there for and make a living from. It seems this supports the view that Steve is better than everyone else (read the vast majority of the world) with animals, due to the fact he runs a zoo. Your point seems to support precisely what you argue against...
        the vast majority of the world are treeswingers who have no idea about animal or reptile care. most don't know the difference between a reptile or a mammal.

as for Steve, he is a bit of a laughing stock down here, he's seen by authorities as a cowboy who is cashing in. just because he runs an inherited zoo it doesn't mean to say he is the authority on animals. he has no formal education in veternary or any science for that matter.

just an aussie showman who found a niche market for aussie humour.

next trips
        USA/DXB August.

Comment

Croc Dundee on the Croc Hunter..

"Well he isn't a rocket scientist is he?"

"he's an idiot who should have kept his mouth shut"

"the only reason anyone watches the show is in the hope that the croc is going to get him this time"

:P

The man is a LEGEND

ADG
          ADG
          No makeovers please .....

Comment

Working...
          X