X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watertown makes national news!

By The Associated Press

Source: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...d=519&ncid=716

A fast-moving winter storm packing fierce winds, frigid temperatures and snow pounded the East on Thursday, causing fender-benders and travel woes as well as dangerous cold.

A cold snap retained its grip on the Northeast, where high temperatures remained in the single digits and teens. A wind chill of minus-46 degrees was recorded in Watertown, N.Y., with an early morning low temperature of 31 below zero.

The heaviest snow fell from Minnesota to Michigan where up to 9 inches was reported. Strong winds produced blizzard-like conditions in parts of the Great Lakes and Upper-Midwest. Portions of Michigan were already buried in up to 10 inches of snow from a previous storm.

The heaviest snow Wednesday fell in Detroit's far northern suburbs — 10 inches in Genesee, Lapeer and northern Oakland counties. Lesser amounts still posed problems, causing dozens of fender-benders and spinout accidents on Detroit-area freeways.

"I'm brushing as much snow out of my eyes as I am off my car," said Layla Abdul-Rahman, 32, of Dearborn. "This would be a good time to buy a ticket back to Lebanon," where she is from.

U.S. Rep. Dick Gephardt (news - web sites) of Missouri, a candidate in Michigan's Feb. 7 Democratic presidential caucuses, was scheduled to hold a town hall meeting in Burton Wednesday. But the storm prevented his plane from landing at Bishop International Airport in nearby Flint. After circling Bishop for 45 minutes, his plane headed for Grand Rapids, where he attended a 6 p.m. rally.

In New Jersey, dozens of spinouts and fender-benders were reported early Thursday as motorists slowly made their way across snow-covered roads and icy bridges. The snow was expected to taper off during the morning commute, but blowing and drifting snow was possible for most of Thursday.

"It's the light fluffy kind of snow (and) should be easy for people to move around," said Mark DeLisi, a forecaster with the weather service's Mount Holly, N.J., office.

The bitter cold continued to cause problems for New Jersey residents and motorists, and temperatures were not expected to exceed the freezing mark until sometime this weekend. Public Service Electric & Gas, the state's largest utility, said service calls have more than doubled during the cold spell.

About 3 1/2 inches of snow had been measured in New York's Central Park by just before 1 a.m., and light to moderate snow could continue through the overnight hours, according to National Weather Service (news - web sites) meteorologist Mike Silva.

The coldest temperatures in New York City were expected after the snow stops, with winds picking up so much that the wind chill Thursday night was expected to be about 20 degrees below zero.

Anyone outside unprotected in the low temperatures will "realize it in about five minutes," said National Weather Service meteorologist Adrienne Leptich. "Their faces will start getting numb."

Leptich said frigid Arctic air was driving the temperatures downward, and said similar cold snaps were felt last winter as well.

"It's January, and this is the time of year when we see this," she said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most schools and businesses are closed here today...but it's still a great day to get outside and enjoy the weather!
    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

CBS has their truck broadcasting live at Thompson park, less than a mile away from me. We haven't had this much national media coverage since the deadly chopper crash in March...
    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Haha...I love this snow storm. Got me a "Cold Day"

Comment

Nice scott. Never got a Cold Day, but a couple times in Virginia, we got "Heat Days". It would be over 100 degrees on June afternoons and the schools without AC couldn't operate.. so the entire school system got out!

Adam

Comment

Yeah, it's even sunny outside too! Curses to the fact that I woke up at noon!

Comment

We just had 3 inches of snow. School is closed. What more could I possibly want right now...
            "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Originally posted by Indian Airlines
              We just had 3 inches of snow. School is closed. What more could I possibly want right now...
              Only 3'' in W. Windsor? Here in Pomona we got like 7-8 inches, and we're much further south.
              www.acairport.com

Comment

Originally posted by matt1168
                Originally posted by Indian Airlines
                Only 3'' in W. Windsor? Here in Pomona we got like 7-8 inches, and we're much further south.
                That's funny. But yeah, it's only 3 inches here, and now a lot of it has melted because the sun is out and bright.
                "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

We didn't get off. Of course we had less than 1/4 in. they put more salt on the road than there was snow.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                    We didn't get off. Of course we had less than 1/4 in. they put more salt on the road than there was snow.
                    This reminds of the Paris area
                    Everything stops, everytime ever and again,
                    They put SAND on sidewalks in addition to salt, this make sh*t which insiduously incrustates itself
                    This repeats itself like a same worn-out old vinyl record, ever and again when snow falls over here !!!
                    Thanks for visiting
                    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                    *JetPhotos*
                    Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
                    X