Former Test Cricketer Critical after Cowardly attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Test Cricketer Critical after Cowardly attack

Former Test Cricketer David Hooks has been left in a critical condition in a coma after being king hit from behind in a cowardly attack by a bouncer over 1/2 his age at a Melbourne hotel. The bouncer ran after Hooks after he left the hotel and king hit him from behind, slamming him head first into the concrete.

When police arrived Hooks was clinically dead and he was worked on by police and paramedics for 30 minutes on the scene before being rushed to Hospital.

Let me tell you .. you wouldn't want to be the cowardly w.nker who kinghit a cricket legend from behind in this country! A 22 year old "bouncer" has been arrested over the incident and homicide police continue the investigation (which really does not bode well for Hooks).

Our thoughts and prayers are with Hooks and his family at this time.

ADG
    ADG
    No makeovers please .....

http://www.jetphotos.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8236

What does 'king hit' mean?

And is this Hooks guy 40 something? or 11? Was confused by the "over 1/2 his age" part..

And what is a "Test Cricketer"?

Thanks.

Comment

You'll have to explain it for us Americans who play the warped version of the sport--baseball .

By the way, speaking of triple posts.
      CheckSix

Equipment: A camera (who gives a rip about the brand?)

Comment

Checksix you want me to explian? I used to play Cricket in pakistan.
        ***My Blog***

Comment

Originally posted by CheckSix
          You'll have to explain it for us Americans who play the warped version of the sport--baseball
          King hit has nothing to do with Cricket.

And cricket is not the equivalent to Baseball.

Comment

sorry, forgot Australian doesn't always translate into American

king-hit (Australian) (informal) noun
            1 a knockout blow, esp. an unfair one

Means that the guy ran up behind him and gave him a fooking good whack in the back of the head without any warning. What do you call that?

More than 1/2 his age = 22 + 22 = 44 .. David Hookes (pardon my previous spelling) is over 50.

Test Cricket = Test is pretty standard term isn't it for world level sports? He played on the Australian Cricket Team that played against other countries for a fair number of years, doing VERY VERY well. He'd be one of the best Cricketers this country produced.

ADG
            ADG

Comment

A test match is a cricket match that is played for a maximum of 5 days...usually consists of two innings (depends on the teams playing ) and more often than not ends in a draw. :P

I feel a one-dayer is much more fun to watch....and play.

BTW, who's a bouncer?
              "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Didn't somebody post a topic about a UCLA student who asked what langue they speak in Australia? Seems like a reasonable question to me, because I don't understand a dam thing ADG is writing.

Comment

U.S. version of 'King Hit' = 'knocked upside da head'

Interesting...never heard the term 'Test' used like that.

still blurry on the "more then 1/2 his age" phrase.

For me... more then 1/2 my age would be anywhere from 21-43, as I am 43.

<note to self...don't by any tickets to a 5 day cricket match... "yawn..">
                  :P
                  Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by GrantT
                    Originally posted by CheckSix
                    You'll have to explain it for us Americans who play the warped version of the sport--baseball
                    King hit has nothing to do with Cricket.

And cricket is not the equivalent to Baseball.
                    I know that. They are somewhat similar since they both use a bat (or to that effect) and a ball. I was under the impression that King Hit was part of Cricket which I have now found out is not. But I know a little about cricket. I think it's an interesting sport. Wouldn't mide trying it myself--that is if we Americans had Cricket.
                    CheckSix

Equipment: A camera (who gives a rip about the brand?)

Comment

Tommyalf: I missed the point you were trying to make, they were reasonable questions to ask and as I pointed out, I forgot Australian doesn't always translate to American (and of course, for the naysayers vice versa).

Cricket is played in the USofA, but it's one of those sports that have never taken off because it can't be dominated. *grin*

Most 5 day matches have a result, they generally result in someone losing . In fact, in the series between India and Australia recently there were a couple of results that weren't that favourable to the Aussies and we didn't win the series *sulk*.

One Day Cricket (known as ODI) is more interesting to watch than a 5 day match. Yesterday for instance India finished it's innings with 300+ runs, and the Aussies came within 19 runs of matching it so we lost but it was pretty interesting right to the end. But that's OK because Zimbabwe is here to make us feel better.

The real strength in Cricket this year I reckon will be the Seth Efricens (South Africans), but time will tell. Kiwis are also very strong at the moment. I think Australias dominance of the game is over for a while.

Fun game to play too if you enjoy balls being tossed at your head at up to 150kmph (or more)

ADG
                      ADG

Comment

Cricket is played in the USofA, but it's one of those sports that have never taken off because it can't be dominated. *grin*
                        *grr...* :P

Most 5 day matches have a result, they generally result in someone losing . In fact, in the series between India and Australia recently there were a couple of results that weren't that favourable to the Aussies and we didn't win the series....Yesterday for instance India finished it's innings with 300+ runs, and the Aussies came within 19 runs of matching it so we lost...
                        Ha!

But that's OK because Zimbabwe is here to make us feel better
                        LMAO

BTW, you still didn't tell me who a bouncer is...
                        "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

A bouncer is security at a hotel/club/bar. THey're supposed to keep the peace but more recently a rise in deaths at the hands of bouncers has been noted here. He'll probably plead not guity by reason of steroid induced rage or some other thing.

ACTING Prime Minister John Anderson today extended the sympathy of the nation to critically injured former Test player David Hookes.

Mr Anderson said it was extremely unfortunate.

Mr Anderson described the incident as dreadful.

"It's extremely unfortunate, you never like seeing that sort of thing," he said.

"I don't know how dreadful the feeling must be when something like this happens.

"I know that I would speak for all Australians when I extend that sympathy to them."

ADG
                          ADG

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                            Tommyalf: I missed the point you were trying to make, they were reasonable questions to ask and as I pointed out, I forgot Australian doesn't always translate to American (and of course, for the naysayers vice versa).
                            ADG
                            It was called American sarcasm. I was referring to the post regarding the UCLA student who asked an Australian official what langue they speak in Australia. Obviously we all know you speak English and it was stupid for the UCLA student to ask what langue they speak but in light of your Australian slang expressions I was making a joke.

Comment

Tom, remember where you are.. :P

Comment

Working...
                              X