guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guns

I was wondering if anyone knows why on Saving Private Ryan, and other war movies, soldiers smack magazines against their helmet before loading it into their guns? I guess this is done in real life as well, and i just can't think of a logical reason why.

A lot of the time it's to get dirt or sand out of the opening of the mag.

Comment

Can free up the spring if it's become jammed as well. Just gives it an all round shake to loosen up the spring and rounds.
      I walked across an empty land
      I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
      I felt the earth beneath my feet
      Sat by the river and it made me complete

Comment

Re: guns

Originally posted by steve181
        I was wondering if anyone knows why on Saving Private Ryan, and other war movies, soldiers smack magazines against their helmet before loading it into their guns? I guess this is done in real life as well, and i just can't think of a logical reason why.
        The main reason is to seat and tighten the rounds within the magazine; this reduces the possibility of rounds misfeeding or jamming into the rifle chamber.

At least that's what my drill sergeants told me, and what I told my soldiers.
        ________
        Voyeur movie

Comment

Interesting Triton1181
          Was ready to bet this was related to some experienced soldiers'tricks gathered on the fields, but was far to think of this one
          Thanks for visiting
          *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
          *JetPhotos*
          Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Originally posted by uy707
            Interesting Triton1181
            Was ready to bet this was related to some experienced soldiers'tricks gathered on the fields, but was far to think of this one
            Hi, uy707...

Tapping your magazine on your helmet probably DID originate from (unfortunate) experiences on the battlefield... and that's why every one of my drill sergeants taught it at boot-camp.
            ________
            Electro gyrocator

Comment

interesting

cheers

Comment

As some others have mentioned, it loosens up the ammo and I find it's easier to get those last few rounds in the clip. When I am finished, I bang the clip on my leg or the palm of my hand to seat all the rounds in the back of the clip.

PS: CCW in Ohio should be law sometime in April 2004.

Comment

Working...
                X