X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by screaming_emu
    Originally posted by Van Hoolio
    Originally posted by chrisburns
    Well one day (hopefully this will not happen) you just may be thanking the ABS when it saves your life!

I think I am a pretty competent driver with or without ABS! The vehicles I drive at work certainly don't have it.

Mike
    Thats like saying "my landings are so smooth I'm going to take the shocks out of my landing gear because I'm just that good". Thats one thing I hate, overconfidence. As has been pointed out, putting yourself in danger is no big deal. When you're driving you also have other peoples lives in your hands, both in your car and out. Putting them at risk because you want to be able to have fun is foolish, cocky, and selfish.

Well said!!
    ***My Blog***

Comment

Believe or not ever since ABS brakes have come out rear end accidents have gone up 25%. Why, two reasons, first people panic when they hear the car making that noise the brakes make when ABS takes over causing the driver to take their foot off the brake, second ABS brakes do not stop the car faster then cars without ABS brakes. Cars without ABS stop faster on dry surfaces in panic stops then cars with ABS. ABS was designed to help you steer clear from a potential accident not stop sooner. Most people panic and don't attempt to steer away from an accident and plow into the rear of the other car. Newsday reported over the summer a number of insurance companies were considering dropping the ABS discount. Personally I love ABS, combined with the traction control on my car I've steered clear of some pretty dangerous situations. I'd leave your ABS fuse where it is, when a car is designed the handling and stopping characteristics are designed with the ABS functioning.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu

I think I am a pretty competent driver with or without ABS! The vehicles I drive at work certainly don't have it.

Mike
        Thats like saying "my landings are so smooth I'm going to take the shocks out of my landing gear because I'm just that good". Thats one thing I hate, overconfidence. As has been pointed out, putting yourself in danger is no big deal. When you're driving you also have other peoples lives in your hands, both in your car and out. Putting them at risk because you want to be able to have fun is foolish, cocky, and selfish.

Woah, let's not compare apples to oranges here. Never did I say I want to slide around the road for fun. All cars don't have ABS. By your definition, their owners are all "foolish, cocky, and selfish". Not so. You don't even know what my driving style is. How could you suggest that I am reckless? If I wanted to I could say that people who drive cars WITH ABS are reckless because they treat it as a license to drive too fast for conditions.

All I am saying is that I prefer the way a vehicle performs without ABS. With my driving style, the only time it applies is at speeds so low a slide would not make any difference whatsoever.

I have been through four driver training programs since 2001. I am routinely trusted to drive $400,000 vehicles with 50+ human lives on board. I cannot afford to be "foolish, cocky, and selfish" in my line of work, and my training and experience carries over into how I drive my own automobile.

Mike
        Van Hoolio's JP.net Photos
        lp.org

Comment

Of course I know how ABS works, and I agree that a car with ABS could probably make a shorter panic stop than a car without. That's good if you drive like an idiot.
          Or if a pedestrian walks, like an idiot, right in front of you......

RJP
          View my photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

uhm check this out,,
            there it is ... i've been tryin to find it for two years ...
            Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

sabotage???

OOOOKKKAY,,, who cut the brakes ???
              Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by CheckSix
                Forgive me Van Hoolio for going off topic .

Uy707, the guy didn't even make it out of the parking lot. He blew his back suspension out.
                No wonder, by just blowing the back suspension, he gets a fair outcome Let's bet he has been punished in a way by bringing the whole stuff on his back when going home
                Thanks for visiting
                *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                *JetPhotos*
                Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

ABS is safe and shorter stopping.

Without ABS is not safe and make a longer stopping like foul weather.

My car have all ABS and it's the best for dry, ice and wet.

Comment

I was just out today, the car skid about 30FT, the ABS kicked in. The ABS actually does help stop you quicker. Car kind of starts to shake when you skid on the road for a few yards.

-PIAA310
                    ***My Blog***

Comment

^ True! ABS is all the way!

Comment

Originally posted by PIAA310
                        I was just out today, the car skid about 30FT, the ABS kicked in. The ABS actually does help stop you quicker. Car kind of starts to shake when you skid on the road for a few yards.

-PIAA310
                        Well if your car skidded 30 feet before your ABS kicked in then there's something wrong with your ABS system. In that 30 feet if the road was covered with ice or was wet and your ABS didnt' kick in right away you might as well not have ABS on your car.

Comment

Working...
                        X