Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the UK adopt the Euro?

Hello all,

I have been to the United Kingdom a few weeks ago and do not understand why Britons don't want to enter the euro-zone.

Most British people use the euro when they are on holiday abroad and are used to it. In the center of London you can use your euro coins to make a call in the public BT telephones.

On the other hand, a recent survey here in The Netherlands showed most people want the old currency, the guilder, back as soon as possible. Dutch people believe prices have gone very up because of the euro.

Tourism is very important in Europe's economy and euro makes tourists lifes way more easier. People can travel from a country to another without spending time and loosing money changing currencies. I am thinking about travelling to the Nordic countries to see the "aurora borealis" in a near future and I think I will pick Finland. Stockholm might be nicer than Helsinki, but I won't have to change my euros to Swedish Kronas. Also prices are standarized all over the continent, which makes you feel you are not beeing swindled: something that costs €1 in Spain will cost €1 in Greece, in The Netherlands or in Ireland.

I seriously believe the euro is overpriced right now, though. But I also believe it will become stable at its real value in the future. The UK should join the euro-zone. It will be easier for them to trade with other European countries and the euro is cheaper than the pound, so they may become more competetive: a thing the United Kingdom is not at the moment.

I doubt however this is going to happen. Most British people love their traditions and the face of the Queen printed in the banknotes. Nothing wrong with that; my country also has lots of traditions and I love them very much. But let's wait and see. Who knows.

Marcos

Re: Should the UK adopt the Euro?

Originally posted by Cubana
    euro is cheaper than the pound
    Yes and because of that we have a stronger currency than Europe.

I doubt however this is going to happen.
    Britain will eventually join the Euro but it won't happen anytime soon.

Most British people love their traditions and the face of the Queen printed in the banknotes.
    Damn straight.

Comment

Sure I wish, I am fed up paying all those fees courtesy of Bureaus de Change.
      Regards
      Alain
      Thanks for visiting
      *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
      *JetPhotos*
      Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

I dont understand why the British Pound has always been higher then the American Dollar???? ALWAYS-

Comment

Dutch people believe prices have gone very up because of the euro.
          That is true! In Portugal something that was about 100Escudos (0,50€) now has a price of almost 1€! That is because of the people who took this oportunity to raisy prices... Anyway the Eruo is something positive i've been travelling recently and its a lot better

João Resendes
          "Fly To The Azores Islands"

Comment

Should the UK adopt the Euro?

Not only in the Netherland and Portugal, but especially here in Germany. The relation of the German Mark to the Euro was 1:1,95583, meaning 1€ is around 2DM. But despite what our government wanted us to believe, many stores just replaced DM price with € prices, e.g. 1DM often became 1. According to our government that's just an urban myth, but the reality the Euro is a "Teuro" (combination of Euro and "teuer", German for expensive).

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
              I dont understand why the British Pound has always been higher then the American Dollar???? ALWAYS-
              Why not?
              Will F.
              Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Also in France, the franc was quoted as 6.57 FFR = 1 Euro.
                Many things which were priced at 10 francs (1.5 Euros) are now priced at 2 Euros.
                Now the positive point, the Euro will firmly establish itself while Europe goes on consolidating and
                the infancy problems which come along with introducing a new currency by among others systematically round new prices always upward will be cured.
                Regards
                Alain
                Thanks for visiting
                *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                *JetPhotos*
                Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Well, this seems to be a problem spread all over the euro-zone. The official conversion rate in the Netherlands was: €1 = 2.20371 Dutch Guilders
                  But, e.g., a house that used to cost 350,000 Guilders now costs €350,000!! But €350,000 are 771,298 Guilders and 350,000 Guilders are €158,823! So, the house is simply €191,117 more expensive than what it used to be.

I've heard the same complain all over the continent. The only thing that hasn't gone as up as prices are, of course, salaries, which were converted with the official rate.

I am still hopeful about the euro, though.

Comment

yeah........get rid of the Euro........i still don`t like it!
                    prices rose way over many peoples heads.........a lot of extra finincial problems for a lot of people..........so.........bye bye euro .........if it is up to me!
                    The UK shouldn`t join the Euro countries............that`s just my opinion
                    check out www.atcbox.com

Comment

I like euro!

Comment

For the sake of cheap stuff from the US on Ebay we do NOT want the euro.

Click Here to view my pathetic attempts at Aviation photography!
                        View the Darkside

Comment

glory be if they get the euro!

london will become and affordable option for me, we get about 40pence for 1 aussie dollar and about 60euro cents for 1 aussie dollar!

so all you brits reading this, do the right thing and bring it in!

next trips
                          USA/DXB August.

Comment

Well at the long term the UK will lose a lot if they don't join the EURO, I wish they didn't so that Europe can prove the world that unity can make a difference and not wars and hate .
                            Click & Help

ONE

Comment

Originally posted by Santijet
                              Well at the long term the UK will lose a lot if they don't join the EURO, I wish they didn't so that Europe can prove the world that unity can make a difference and not wars and hate .
                              Tell that to France, smartguy.

Comment

Working...
                              X