Will N. Korea Attack the South?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will N. Korea Attack the South?

Well with N. Korea raising the stakes on the Korean Peninsular do you think the North will take the opportunity to attack the South preemptively while we are engaged in Iraq? With the bulk of our forces in the Mid East it seems like the perfect opportunity to attack. With only 50,000 troops one-carrier division and a squadron of one or two B1’s it seems that the South is lightly defended against a full attack from the North, and I don't think we would resort to nukes unless it was absolutely required.

I can see N. Korea using a preemptive attack as a way of forcing us to the table since we really are in no position to stop them from rolling into Soul. I think at this point it's 50/50. N. Korea seems convinced we are going to attack them, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them attack first hoping to draw us to the table vs. being overrun in a one front war after Iraq.

North Korea wouldn't dare attack South Korea. They wouldn't want to anger USA anymore. USA is perfectly capable of taking on two countries at one time. The will use their allies to attack N.Korea if they attack the South.
    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

And even if the US (or in that case, better to speak of the UN) is not capable of attacking two countries at the same time, They can go for Iraq first and directly after that (the troops are already mobized) go after North-Korea.

So, no I don't think they will attack South-Korea.

Comment

The UN could not fight it's way out of an unlocked closet. They would send inspectors to see if there really is a door that might get them out. Then they would wait 12 years and see if the door opens by itself.

Jeff

Comment

Well, the UN is not a player in all this, so what they want or don't want does not count here. Only what the USA want seems to count these days.

I do not think that North Korea is going to invade the South. They have no immediate reason doing that. That is not connected with the Iraqi war. Against some other views by certain Texan farmers, North Korea is not just evil.

And then, Tom, ""I don't think we would resort to nukes unless it was absolutely required"" pays for today's arrogance of a certain country on this planet. Who is "we"? Are you one of the 95% of blindfolded and naive US citizens just jumping behind their president without using their brain?

Wake up an realize that the world does not end beyond the USA!!!!

Regards,
          Peter

Comment

Originally posted by aerpix
            Well, the UN is not a player in all this, so what they want or don't want does not count here. Only what the USA want seems to count these days.

I do not think that North Korea is going to invade the South. They have no immediate reason doing that. That is not connected with the Iraqi war. Against some other views by certain Texan farmers, North Korea is not just evil.

And then, Tom, ""I don't think we would resort to nukes unless it was absolutely required"" pays for today's arrogance of a certain country on this planet. Who is "we"? Are you one of the 95% of blindfolded and naive US citizens just jumping behind their president without using their brain?

Wake up an realize that the world does not end beyond the USA!!!!

Regards,
            Peter
            With all due respect, I don't think it's quite 95% behind this mad cowboy president. At least I hope not.

Comment

"...Well, the UN is not a player in all this.."

They have not really been a player in anything have they?

Comment

RE

The UN has done nothing but get in our way, I think we should ship all there crap outta here, and over to France, they seems to have alot in common.

And hey, just because Bush is a Cowby (which is freakin awesome) a real badass American, doesn't mean anything wrong, but that mean with my being from California, I'm a Surfer DUDE? NO it DOES NOT.
                Cory Klimko
                KSNA Photography

Comment

RE

And what about Jimmy Carter? From Plains, GA, a peanut farmer, does that mean he is a redneck, hillbilly, hick? NO, he was the President of the most powerful nation in the world, I don't what he was, that's a damn hard, and powerful job. Same goes for Bush.
                  Cory Klimko
                  KSNA Photography

Comment

....most powerful nation in the world...
                    Take a hike.
                    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

RE

What, scared? Sure sounds like it.
                      Cory Klimko
                      KSNA Photography

Comment

Re: RE

Originally posted by NWA_Flyer757
                        What, scared? Sure sounds like it.
                        Scared? Scared of a nation gone mad, with a leader who will stop at nothing to increase his wealth, with the largest army and weaponry on this planet?

Yes, many of us are scared.

Comment

Europeans, it would seem, have found it rather convienient to forget that we Americans were called on to liberate much of their continent from similar aggression by a similar madman. Much the same as Adolf Hitler sought personal gain and conquest, even at the expense of his own people, so does Saddam Hussein. Some rememberance of world history should be considered here, so as not to repeat the tragedy of 1936-1945. As a former Infantryman, with 2 combat tours, I deeply regret the fact that the United states has been left only the option of raising it's sword again, however our purpose is Just and right. We are dealing with a man who knows only that all the declared dealines that have been given to him are nothing more than empty words for the last twelve years. He has had more than enough opportunity to comply with the world's demands, and now it is time for action on those demands. I fear that the United nations credibility has dwindled down to level of the Commonwealth of Nations prior to 1937. The ability to make ultimatums and threats is only as useful as the ability to act upon those ultimatums, and the United Nations does not have a very good record of backing up it's words.

War is a terrible thing, take it from a soldier who has been there, done that. However living under the threat of harm to thousands of innocents is far worse. I pray for my brothers going in harm's way, but I truly believe, it is time to act. Saddam, we gave you every opportunity to come clean, and to act responsibly in the eyes of the world, now it is time to pay the piper.

Europe, be forewarned, your actions today may well affect our support for you in any future time of need.. Americans don't forget. pray you never have the need for outside help. You may not get it.

Comment

Originally posted by raldrich
                            Europeans, it would seem, have found it rather convienient to forget that we Americans were called on to liberate much of their continent from similar aggression by a similar madman. Much the same as Adolf Hitler sought personal gain and conquest, even at the expense of his own people, so does Saddam Hussein. Some rememberance of world history should be considered here, so as not to repeat the tragedy of 1936-1945. As a former Infantryman, with 2 combat tours, I deeply regret the fact that the United states has been left only the option of raising it's sword again, however our purpose is Just and right. We are dealing with a man who knows only that all the declared dealines that have been given to him are nothing more than empty words for the last twelve years. He has had more than enough opportunity to comply with the world's demands, and now it is time for action on those demands. I fear that the United nations credibility has dwindled down to level of the Commonwealth of Nations prior to 1937. The ability to make ultimatums and threats is only as useful as the ability to act upon those ultimatums, and the United Nations does not have a very good record of backing up it's words.

War is a terrible thing, take it from a soldier who has been there, done that. However living under the threat of harm to thousands of innocents is far worse. I pray for my brothers going in harm's way, but I truly believe, it is time to act. Saddam, we gave you every opportunity to come clean, and to act responsibly in the eyes of the world, now it is time to pay the piper.

Europe, be forewarned, your actions today may well affect our support for you in any future time of need.. Americans don't forget. pray you never have the need for outside help. You may not get it.
                            While you're not forgetting, you seem to have conveniently forgotten who assisted the colonists in their war of independance against Britain? Was it, maybe, France by any chance?

Or is there a time limit on memory, which ends in 1941?

Comment

No there is no time limit on my memory, especially since my college studies were in history and political science. However we also made the Louisiana purchase to aid Napoleon with much needed money and to keep Napoleon from losing it to the British as well as shortening his lines of defense. But, all that aside, that was not a war waged upon an individual who sets out to kill innocent people. Saddam has been systematically exterminating the Kurdish people for 25 years, also invaded a neighboring country for sheer greed a decade ago, and proliferates weapons that are of no real military value, weapons that are designed with one purpose: to kill tens of thousands of civilians to decapitate a nation's ability to wage war. Nuclear, Chemical, and Biological (NBC) warfare's sole strategem lies in the ability to decimate a population that can sustain the logistical costs of a war. Germany and Japan both felt this in WWII, both through the systematic bombing of it's major Industrial cities. The weapons of today are designed to expedite that process. they are NOT designed as battlefield weapons. The battlefield use of these types of weapons is more for psychological effect than tactical, as the equipment required to operate in that (an NBC) enviornment is bulky and cumbersome, and the fear of one's safety goes up, because there is no foxhole deep enough to hide in to escape the threat. however, we (in the U.S. Army) train under battlefield NBC conditions quite frequently, and though not exactly comfortable with it, are more than prepared for it, as are most other Military forces worldwide. these weapons are designed to use on an unprotected civillian population where they can do the most damage, and anyone who is willing to use them on their own countrymen needs to realize the consequenses of those actions. He has been given 12 years worth of opportunity to alter his course of action, and has snubbed his nose at the world. It is time to prevent another Holocaust from occring, this time before it starts.

As I said before, I was a soldier, no one hates war more than those of us who has to fight one, because WE are the ones paying the ultimate price, but this price must be paid now and again. We are freeing a people who have been murdered, tortured and kept in fear for the last 25 years, and also to prevent this madman from turning his eyes of greed toward anyone else ever again.

Comment

Working...
                              X