Boeing Bummer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boeing Bummer

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Defense Department is scrapping the multibillion-dollar RAH-66 Comanche helicopter program being developed by Boeing Co. and United Technologies Corp., government sources said Monday.

Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Bad decision. We can't keep flying the OH-58s forever..
    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
      I know, that new copter looked badass.

Comment

thats pretty crap, looked very smart . is there any chance it would come back in the future?
        My New Photo Name on JP.net is DutchAviation!!!!

why should we fight about wich aircraft manufactor is better..............

thats so childish....

because hey we all know boeing is better

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
          Surprising but true, they scrap the Commanche while increasing the budget of Defense , however, and best illustrated by ageless Herkie a long standing tradition keeps going ;
          -making the most by stretching the bucks
          Regards
          Alain
          Thanks for visiting
          *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
          *JetPhotos*
          Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Comanche was overpriced, underperforming.
            Wrong package at the wrong time for the wrong mission...

Too limited to replace Kiowa (no capabilities as a liaison and light transport, no parts commonality etc.), too limited to replace Apache either (endurance, weapons load, etc.).

Maybe the Cheyenne project should be reinstated, the old design merged with the things learned from and designed for Comanche and Longbow.
            Now that would make an awesome machine...
            Change it a bit to give it a capacity to carry a few (3-4) passengers or some cargo, and you got one kick-ass helicopter that can perform a variety of missions.

Comment

Speaking of keeping aging birds around, I heard they're talking of strapping some GE90 engines on the B52 fleet.

Comment

Boeing Bummer

Speaking of keeping aging birds around, I heard they're talking of strapping some GE90 engines on the B52 fleet.
                I'm not positive about the GE90, but there are plans to re-equip the B52 with only four modern engines instead of the 8 old to kepp the B52 around another until 2040, and if they stay only a few years more, they can celebrate the 100th anniversayry of B52 flights .

-Colin

Comment

Working...
                X